IGNORED

Your goto short play games?

Nintegageo

• The title was changed to Your goto short play games?

A friend and I have discussed this topic multiple times in the past. With the trend for most modern games to deliver an "epic experience" and/or to entice you with an "endless gameplay loop", many such games just aren't very accessible for the person who can't or doesn't want to commit at least an hour or more to a play session to get any kind of sense of accomplishment. For various reasons, older generations of games tended to be much more plug-and-play, even down to the very logistics of simply booting up a game. On the NES, I can flick the power switch and be actually playing a game within 5-10 seconds. On PS4, it might take 2-3 minutes or more between waiting for the console to boot, launching the game, skipping intro cutscenes, navigating menus and loading save data.

Anyway, there are a handful of games that I seem to reach for regularly when I want to get a game in but don't want to commit to more than 15-30 minutes.

-Super Mario Land 1 & 2 come up often. I think because they are games that are nostalgic but which I didn't actually get to play much when I was younger. So, it's a combination of the retro feel with a game that still feels a little new to me.

-Revenge of Shinobi & Shinobi 3 as well. Incredibly nostalgic but not games I got to play much as a youth, so they still feel fresh.

-Castlevania, Contra, Doom (PC), Street Fighter II, Streets of Rage 2Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Turtles in Time...all are games that I can fire up at any time and enjoy even just 5 minutes with.

As for more recent games, I'll sometimes reach for Binding of Isaac, Dusk, Into the Breach. I used to spend a fair bit of time with online multiplayer games like Overwatch and Dead by Daylight, which fit that "drop-in, drop-out" niche but I don't frequent them much lately.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I love love LOVE playing Overcooked 2 multiplayer, so that has been my thing lately.  When everyone in the group reaches a certain level of rage and it has to end, I'll switch to other stuff.  Been playing some Trackmania Nations with @Mega Tank lately - super fun for just quick, mindless racing fun.   🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I love love LOVE playing Overcooked 2 multiplayer, so that has been my thing lately.  When everyone in the group reaches a certain level of rage and it has to end, I'll switch to other stuff.  Been playing some Trackmania Nations with @Mega Tank lately - super fun for just quick, mindless racing fun.   🙂

I'll be buying Overcooked 2. Let's GOOOOO.

• Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Contra, Double Dragon, Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!, Excitebike and SMB are top 5 quick plays for me.

Oh yeah. Punch-Out's a good one. And Double Dragon 2. I owned and loved the original but always favored the sequel for the 2-player co-op with my cousins and, later, my younger brother.

1 minute ago, Webhead123 said:

Oh yeah. Punch-Out's a good one. And Double Dragon 2. I owned and loved the original but always favored the sequel for the 2-player co-op with my cousins and, later, my younger brother.

DD2 is definitely better. The first one is shorter, so I usually go to it for a quick game. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

My historical go-tos include:

- River City Ransom, get as far as I can in whatever time I have
- Micro Machines on N64, for whatever reason I love doing donuts in spilled milk.
- Tony Hawk games, just mess around
- Smash Ultimate, try to collect a few spirits
- this game on Steam called Creeper World. I've been spare-time playing that for years now.

Unfortunately, mobile games are built for that kind of short-burst gameplay, so I shamefully admit that I sometimes play those.

On handheld - I like the titles in the G&W gallery since it's just minigames (maybe some people take more then a couple of minutes before they loose, but not me). Another options that come to mind are Nemesis (Gradius) which again works for me vecause I suck at it so I die fast.

On console - definitely Super Smash Bros (64).

Edited by sg17