IGNORED

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Webhead123

2 minutes ago, Californication said:

I haven't played Spelunky. I've heard it thrown around a couple times. Maybe I'll grab it. 

It is a game with deceptively deep underlying mechanics, once you learn them.  But it is also a fun, quick rogue-like platformer, that you can beat in half an hour once you know what you're doing (with speedrun achievements at something like 6-8 minutes or less)

If you like hard platformers, combined with the gambling of roguelike-RNGs, then you'll probably enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Californication said:

It's funny, I personally hate easy games. But I have a daughter that is 14 months and now I am starting to plan a library for her and I'm trying to remember all the Kirby games etc. , that I have passed over. So I get how there is a need.

To me a game isn't supposed to be a type of creative learning tool for small children, if they enjoy it it should be a side-effect of the game's structure. But if the structure of a platformer is that you can beat it with no reflexes and all the platforms are big and wide so that you need no precision then something is wrong.

3 minutes ago, cartman said:

To me a game isn't supposed to be a type of creative learning tool for small children, if they enjoy it it should be a side-effect of the game's structure. But if the structure of a platformer is that you can beat it with no reflexes and all the platforms are big and wide so that you need no precision then something is wrong.

I actually think games are one of the best ways to teach children. Puzzles for example are considered the best thing after reading to stimulate a kids brain. But every toy a kid has they are figuring out the weight, shape, physics, texture, and this carries into video games. 

And mindless games to us, like some Kirby's are harder for children because they don't have the same control over their hands that we do. Arch Angel made a good points though in that children can figure it out and their mind set also plays an important role.

9 minutes ago, cartman said:

On the other hand -- kids definitely find Excitebike amusing, at all skill levels, since it is one of the few racing games that always lets you finish a race, and while steering is necessary to WIN, it is not required to FINISH.

2 minutes ago, Californication said:

And mindless games to us, like some Kirby's are harder for children because they don't have the same control over their hands that we do. Arch Angel made a good points though in that children can figure it out and their mind set also plays an important role.

Seeing them get more into games finally (rather than just being content to sit in my lap and watch me play) -- definitely has me getting back to basics on the ergonomics of controllers for small hands.

Most modern systems are NOT suited for kids, just from the standpoint of big-ass controls.  (seeing how my 4-year-old has to hold a Steam controller to play Spelunky for instance)

And even playing NES games on the SNES classic leaves something to be desired, since the "extra" buttons (versus what the an NES or GB game actually requires) can cause a lot of confusion in the heat of the moment -- so the kids consistently do quite a bit better playing on the original equipment in that regard.

6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

On the other hand -- kids definitely find Excitebike amusing, at all skill levels, since it is one of the few racing games that always lets you finish a race, and while steering is necessary to WIN, it is not required to FINISH.

Yeah i could see that. I haven't played Excitebike but it seems engaging by design and you're not outright losing as you are in some other game where you die. But if the other racers were so slow and clumsy that you almost can't lose it wouldn't be much of a game.

I think an Easy mode would be a welcome addition, but perhaps it could be like a lot of 8- and 16-bit titles where the easy mode only lets you play through 2/3 of the game.  To play through the full game, you'd need to step up to Normal or Hard.

In any case, looking forward to it.  Don't fuck this up Capcom!!

1 hour ago, glazball said:

I think an Easy mode would be a welcome addition, but perhaps it could be like a lot of 8- and 16-bit titles where the easy mode only lets you play through 2/3 of the game.  To play through the full game, you'd need to step up to Normal or Hard.

In any case, looking forward to it.  Don't fuck this up Capcom!!

Yeah, any kind of "easy mode" in Ghosts and Goblins should work like Double Dragon 2, where you get access to just a couple of levels.

But at a practical level -- there isn't really a way to make G&G "easy" without breaking the game's playability.

An "extra hit point" to your armor only helps so much -- I guess you could reduce spawn rates, or possible have enemies that don't use additional forms of attack (kind of like how 1st quest LoZ is "easy mode" compared to 2nd quest with stalfos shooting swords, etc)

2 hours ago, Californication said:

I actually think games are one of the best ways to teach children. Puzzles for example are considered the best thing after reading to stimulate a kids brain. But every toy a kid has they are figuring out the weight, shape, physics, texture, and this carries into video games. 

They might be but the goal should be that a kid is adapting to something generally made for older people rather than the other way around. Where exactly that line should be drawn i couldn't say but with something like Section Z i'm pretty sure kids wouldn't have the manuevering, speed and overall comprehension to play effectively. Atleast not without playing a lot.

3 hours ago, mrbogus said:

Never cared for the Earnest Evans marionette animation style and not a fan of it here.

However I do like that Capcom arcade collection that was announced which has the best GnG included (Ghouls n’ Ghosts).

I agree the animation style looks bad.  I'd rather them just do a simple 2d pixel art style new GnG game.

3 hours ago, LaC said:

I agree the animation style looks bad.  I'd rather them just do a simple 2d pixel art style new GnG game.

This looks like a Sonic Mania style remix of the original games with some new stuff added. They should have just went with that look and gave us a 16/32-bit mash-up like Sonic Mania. I would have been fine with that.

Either that or the Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom look. Which IMO, is what modern 2D games that don't use retro assets should strive for.

12 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

If you want "easy mode", then the Ghosts and Goblins series is not for you.

Why? I think it's silly to think that a game can't be incredibly tough in general but also have an "easy mode". Other games have done it before. You can go through the game on easy, and get the credits, not even necessarily fight the "real" final boss! Then once you're ready after practice, you face the real deal. That would be a win-win for everyone.

Also, have to say I LOVE the art style!

55 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Why? I think it's silly to think that a game can't be incredibly tough in general but also have an "easy mode". Other games have done it before. You can go through the game on easy, and get the credits, not even necessarily fight the "real" final boss! Then once you're ready after practice, you face the real deal. That would be a win-win for everyone.

Also, have to say I LOVE the art style!

It's more about the "feel" and "spirit" of the game being rooted in a certain level of always being about to die/lose, where the flavor of the game would change substantially with an "easy mode" in place.

Though from a game design and balance standpoint, I really think "easy mode" could be akin to "easy" on Battle Kid, where it makes certain aspects of the game easier (in that case doubling your attack power), but it still stays very hard to beat. 😛  

8 minutes ago, cartman said:

They might be but the goal should be that a kid is adapting to something generally made for older people rather than the other way around. Where exactly that line should be drawn i couldn't say but with something like Section Z i'm pretty sure kids wouldn't have the manuevering, speed and overall comprehension to play effectively. Atleast not without playing a lot.

So I think we all agree, it's just a matter of figuring out what kids are capable of and what wouldn't be fair.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:51 AM, avatar! said:

Oh wow, I really really hope there's an easy mode on this...

On 12/11/2020 at 6:56 AM, cartman said:

Only coming for Switch?

Wow this blew up. 😄  Not going to quote a dozen posts.  Also looks like my post got merged.

If it has an easy mode, they're not saying, but watch the video closely Arthur can take multiple hits.  His armor is intact, in the 1/2 point of the video you'll see a couple cases where he's got armor pants but no shirt, or armor top and exposed legs so he perhaps has +1 or +2 hits allowed over the classic design.

Yeah it appears to be Switch only.  I dug some and went as far as Japan Capcom and it is showing only as a Switch title, so Nintendo got themselves a full on exclusive or one where it pops up a year later/elsewhere.  Either way, solid grab.

I too love all the well modified throw back bosses from Ghosts, Ghouls and Super Ghosts from what I've seen, a great blend so I'm curious if this is so much a new game, a blended remaster, or like a total mash up 'arrange' mode they've done before such as with the GB and GBA GnG ports that had that style of 2nd game mode.  Back some 30 years I could take down those old games on the arcade or NES/SNES as it was.  I don't have a huge bs threshold anymore but I somehow still can make a mental exception for this franchise. 😄

Probably because Capcom is just weird.  They're like the disturbed girlfriend you just can't seem to ever dump and get away from.  She's a beast both in bringing pleasure and excitement, but then suddenly shows up and drives a pick into your back...and despite that not being the first time for either, you still stick around and tolerate it for more. 🙂  The amount of times they've done Nintendo owners a solid to turn around and knife them has really added up since in the last 25 years.

18 hours ago, ookii_risu said:

It looks pretty good! I’m not a GnG fan at all because I refuse to go through the whole game twice, but I think it’s a great homage to the series, and I’m sure I’ll watch a speedrun of it in the future. 

You don't have to go through it twice 😉 It's perfectly enjoyable just beating it once. That's like saying you're not a fan of Super Mario Bros. or Zelda because they contain optional second quests 😄

1 hour ago, ifightdragons said:

You don't have to go through it twice 😉 It's perfectly enjoyable just beating it once. That's like saying you're not a fan of Super Mario Bros. or Zelda because they contain optional second quests 😄

Well, in the original G&G you DID have to go through it twice, and that had nothing to do with an optional second quest or anything like that.

https://kotaku.com/the-meanest-thing-capcom-ever-did-5302454

Also, if somehow you were able to beat the game (good luck) you got this truly amazing ending 😛

Screenshot from 2020-12-13 20-25-14.png

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, avatar! said:

Well, in the original G&G you DID have to go through it twice, and that had nothing to do with an optional second quest or anything like that.

https://kotaku.com/the-meanest-thing-capcom-ever-did-5302454

Also, if somehow you were able to beat the game (good luck) you got this truly amazing ending 😛

Screenshot from 2020-12-13 20-25-14.png

Haha yes, I know about that! And while I do agree that the ending is so hilariously bad that it almost necessitates a second run to experience the true ending, there is still a lot of joy to be had just beating it once. The second run isn't obligatory to be a fan of the game 😄

Addendum: Was the NES ending even further botched? I seem to remember it being COURAGEOUR 😂

Edited by ifightdragons