Jump to content
IGNORED

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection


Webhead123
 Share

Recommended Posts

Maybe I'm being a little harsh. The art style itself doesn't look so bad. Some of it actually looks pretty neat. I suppose my hang up is that a) all the character models have a very "flat" look. Like they're cut-out paper dolls or something and b) the way they are animated is probably what's reminding me of a mobile game. That very "floppy-armed, exaggerated" look.

I dunno. I'll probably still buy it. I suppose I just kinda wished they went for a pixel-art style instead...or maybe a more "Wonder Boy revival" style of hand-drawn.

Edited by Webhead123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Maybe I'm being a little harsh. The art style itself doesn't look so bad. Some of it actually looks pretty neat. I suppose my hang up is that a) all the character models have a very "flat" look. Like they're cut-out paper dolls or something and b) the way they are animated is probably what's reminding me of a mobile game. That very "floppy-armed, exaggerated" look.

I dunno. I'll probably still buy it. I suppose I just kinda wished they went for a pixel-art style instead...or maybe a more "Wonder Boy revival" style of hand-drawn.

I'm with you. I think the art style looks awkward and somehow off. I will try to keep an open mind though. I thought the new Battletoads looked horrible in previews, but the animation is silky smooth and very attractive when you've got it on a quality 4K 60hz screen. Maybe this will look great on a tiny 720p screen at 60 FPS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Californication said:

I love how many enemies are on screen. And a cool retoolimg of the classic levels and enemies. It does not look friendly at all. 🙂

Yeah that's a big one many times with Nintendo it has been like "it's back, it's creative and it's accessible to everyone it's impossible to lose". This game actually seems engaging by being challenging.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, cartman said:

Yeah that's a big one many times with Nintendo it has been like "it's back, it's creative and it's accessible to everyone it's impossible to lose". This game actually seems engaging by being challenging.

It's funny, I personally hate easy games. But I have a daughter that is 14 months and now I am starting to plan a library for her and I'm trying to remember all the Kirby games etc. , that I have passed over. So I get how there is a need.

Edited by Californication
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Californication said:

It's funny, I personally hate easy games. But I have a daughter that is 14 months and now I am starting to plan a library for her and I'm trying to remember all the Kirby games etc. , that I have passed over.

The "easy mode" I'm giving my kids for some classics is just getting them a few extra hearts or early access to the ring in Legend of Zelda - or playing 2 player DD2 and doing most of the heavy lifting.  Otherwise, they learn resilience from knowing the dying - A LOT - is part of the intended experience 😛 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

The "easy mode" I'm giving my kids for some classics is just getting them a few extra hearts or early access to the ring in Legend of Zelda - or playing 2 player DD2 and doing most of the heavy lifting.  Otherwise, they learn resilience from knowing the dying - A LOT - is part of the intended experience 😛 

And I remember that when I was like 7 or 8, but I don't imagine that working with a 3 or 4 year old right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Californication said:

And I remember that when I was like 7 or 8, but I don't imagine that working with a 3 or 4 year old right?

My 4 year old has a pretty high tolerance for it, because he has watched me play (and die) so much Spelunky 😛

He understands that dying, and dying a lot, is just part of the game. (and as a result, he got through the first level of SMB, unassisted, after one or two tries -- and he's actually managed to luck his way through a level or two of Spelunky)

My 7 year old has a lower tolerance for it, because she's getting into the mode of wanting to do well at it.

But 7 was the age I got my Nintendo, back in the day, with relatively little other gaming experience.  The kids are getting a Switch this year with Mario Maker and Link's Awakening (they both love classic Legend of Zelda) - and I'll probably pick up Mario Kart. (I've tried playing the original Mario Kart with them on the SNES Classic and it is just too damn clunky)

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Californication said:

On a side note - did anyone else grab Volgar the Viking? I watch part of the Mike Matei playthough and It looks solid and tough and they only have 1,200 copies.

I got it for $1 as part of a Humble Bundle, way back.

It is a fun game, IMO, since it fills a fairly narrow gaming niche of taking the "high precision" space shooter concept (where it only LOOKS LIKE "bullet hell" but is really a memorization game of exact locations and inputs) and putting it in a platformer/Jill-of-the-Jungle-look-a-like.

Once you really get anywhere in the game it is hard as hell, though. (major "Gradius Syndrome" related to weapon/armor power-ups)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

My 4 year old has a pretty high tolerance for it, because he has watched me play (and die) so much Spelunky 😛

He understands that dying, and dying a lot, is just part of the game. (and as a result, he got through the first level of SMB, unassisted, after one or two tries -- and he's actually managed to luck his way through a level or two of Spelunky)

My 7 year old has a lower tolerance for it, because she's getting into the mode of wanting to do well at it.

But 7 was the age I got my Nintendo, back in the day, with relatively little other gaming experience.  The kids are getting a Switch this year with Mario Maker and Link's Awakening (they both love classic Legend of Zelda) - and I'll probably pick up Mario Kart. (I've tried playing the original Mario Kart with them on the SNES Classic and it is just too damn clunky)

I haven't played Spelunky. I've heard it thrown around a couple times. Maybe I'll grab it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...