IGNORED

HA Auctions that have caught your eye, or are worth watching... that aren't Video Games

RH

I created a Heritage Auctions account just to look at game sales, but they sell a lot more and, of course, I was auto added to their email list.  Regardless, they do have some historical items.  I've never gotten into cartoon cel collecting, but I've always had an interest.  Cels are usually to expensive for my collecting preference, but I sure like seeing them.

Here's a Gertie the Dinosaur which is from the very first "cartoon", so to speak.  It's a really good one too.  This is definitely one I'd love to buy but, yeah, I don't have the funds for this one.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/production-drawing/winsor-mccay-gertie-the-dinosaur-animation-drawing-original-art-1914-/a/7235-98001.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

So what about you guys?  What are some HA auctions that you are watching and might even bid on that aren't game related?

Lots of stuff on heritage piques my interest.

Metals, Meteorites, Fossils, Coins, Jewelry, Timepieces, Bullion, and also Stringed Instruments are cool too.

Historical documents are awesome, especially stuff for American history. Religious texts are nice as well.

Then for entertainment, original movie posters just seem like some amazing pieces of memorabilia that I’m scared to get into.

7 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Lots of stuff on heritage piques my interest.

Metals, Meteorites, Fossils, Coins, Jewelry, Timepieces, Bullion, and also Stringed Instruments are cool too.

Historical documents are awesome, especially stuff for American history. Religious texts are nice as well.

Then for entertainment, original movie posters just seem like some amazing pieces of memorabilia that I’m scared to get into.

Yeah, I don't browse the site much, but that stuff really piques my interest.  All of that stuff really sounds cool.

Years ago, and it might not have been HA, some auction site I had managed to get on their mailing list.  Well, they were auctioning off the headset that CAPCOM was using for the Apollo 11 mission.  This was the ear piece that mission control was hearing Neil Armstrong speak into, and this was the mic that he was getting his directions from.  The estimate was that it would end for around $25k.  In all my life, I don't know why, but it was the one item I basically wanted to take a loan out on.  Sure, NASA was recording all of the audio, but step-by-step, when Neil and Buzz landed on the moon, this was the headset that relayed and confirmed each of their steps for what was one of, IMHO, the greatest crowning accomplishments of mankind.

But, I didn't bid on it because that was a lot of money and I was newly married and fresh out of college.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I used to collect vintage baseball cards from the 1880s to 1960s, so I like to look at those and see what the cards I used to own are selling for now. 

Wow, I knew ball cards were old, but I didn't know they went back to the 1880s.  In fact, I didn't even know baseball was that old, at least in an organized sense.  I just assumed it was something invented and became wildly popular around 1900 and on.  Lol, I collected a lot of cards as a kid but it was for the fun of it and for trading.  It just goes to show how really casual I was about baseball and, subsequently, all other sports.

56 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, I don't browse the site much, but that stuff really piques my interest.  All of that stuff really sounds cool.

Years ago, and it might not have been HA, some auction site I had managed to get on their mailing list.  Well, they were auctioning off the headset that CAPCOM was using for the Apollo 11 mission.  This was the ear piece that mission control was hearing Neil Armstrong speak into, and this was the mic that he was getting his directions from.  The estimate was that it would end for around $25k.  In all my life, I don't know why, but it was the one item I basically wanted to take a loan out on.  Sure, NASA was recording all of the audio, but step-by-step, when Neil and Buzz landed on the moon, this was the headset that relayed and confirmed each of their steps for what was one of, IMHO, the greatest crowning accomplishments of mankind.

But, I didn't bid on it because that was a lot of money and I was newly married and fresh out of college.

Wow, I knew ball cards were old, but I didn't know they went back to the 1880s.  In fact, I didn't even know baseball was that old, at least in an organized sense.  I just assumed it was something invented and became wildly popular around 1900 and on.  Lol, I collected a lot of cards as a kid but it was for the fun of it and for trading.  It just goes to show how really casual I was about baseball and, subsequently, all other sports.

There's a Cincinnati Reds team card from 1869 that's recognized as the first baseball card. The 1887-1890 N172 Old Judge cards were the first major set of cards. There wasn't any official checklist back then and new players and variations are still being discovered. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

There's a Cincinnati Reds team card from 1869 that's recognized as the first baseball card. The 1887-1890 N172 Old Judge cards were the first major set of cards. There wasn't any official checklist back then and new players and variations are still being discovered. 

I'm still chasing Minneapolis and St. Paul old Judge cards.