IGNORED

The most lethal color in video games

GPX

Video games have a rich history of a vast array of villains, baddies, badasses, ninjas and other minions. All are there to make gaming a challenge, a misery, a pleasure and other types of emotions.

So where am I going with this? Well, a thought has recently crossed my mind since playing some games on my trusty Xbox Live: Geometry Wars and Shinobi. Playing these 2 games, the common "baddies" in the ships and ninjas have certain colors that are a common theme among a lot of games that are out there. Yellow, red, green, blue are probably the more common colors that exist in gaming. The question I have is: which color is the most commonly designated to the most lethal baddy in games?

I can start the ball rolling with my 2 above game examples:

* Shinobi - blue ninja - quickest speed, and can attack in both ground and air.

* Geometry Wars 2 - green ship - quickest speed, can zip around in hyperspeed, bordering on cheating at times.

Anyone feel free to add a game title and the color of most lethal opponent! Let's see if we can come to any conclusive answer to the topic in question..

36 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Brown for Goomba

I’m willing to bet more people died from the  first Goomba of Super Mario Bros. Stage 1-1 than any other villain or hazard in the game.

Dude is a straightforward mass murder.

Let's just say I'd probably get a modest chuckle out of seeing a super-cut of YouTube/Twitch gamers playing SMB 35th Anniversary Edition for the first time if that was their intro to SMB. "WTF, that enemy isn't fair! Waaaa"

• Like 1

I probably didn't explain clearly enough in the original post.

My original thought was more to do with games which use color coding for the common enemies during each level.

I guess showing some pics would make it easier to comprehend:

IMG_8010.thumb.JPG.a445db8454a87063c0bd7ec6f99b4b49.JPGIMG_8011.thumb.JPG.20aaa91a84a2130e14ec29a467f848cf.JPG

Apologies for the blurry pics. Taken fresh from my recent gaming session on the home TV..

Damn you green ship and blue ninja!

Graphics Team · Posted

No games with color-coded enemies come to mind right now, but there are plenty of games that alter the color of an enemy boss as it takes more and more damage. I've been playing a lot of Image Fight recently, and the bosses start turning red as you get closer to beating them.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

No games with color-coded enemies come to mind right now, but there are plenty of games that alter the color of an enemy boss as it takes more and more damage. I've been playing a lot of Image Fight recently, and the bosses start turning red as you get closer to beating them.

-CasualCart

Yeah, when bosses start changing color as you do more damage, they also tend to become more powerful and/or quick in addition to the color change.

I'm much more intimidated by a super super quick boss with little health than a super slow boss with tons of health.

On 12/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

Just a curious thing, have you noticed what your commonest color of use when drawing gaming art? And do they differ with the “goodies” vs “baddies”?

Graphics Team · Posted
7 hours ago, GPX said:

Just a curious thing, have you noticed what your commonest color of use when drawing gaming art? And do they differ with the “goodies” vs “baddies”?

I haven't paid much attention, but it seems like mostly primary colors - red, blue, and yellow. I think that's common in design, though, to show the audience/player who is important. (There's no mistaking who the important characters are in Power Rangers haha.)

-CasualCart

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I haven't paid much attention, but it seems like mostly primary colors - red, blue, and yellow. I think that's common in design, though, to show the audience/player who is important. (There's no mistaking who the important characters are in Power Rangers haha.)

-CasualCart

Yes, no doubt the primary colors and green are among the commonest palettes used. I guess this is more an artistic enquiry, in that which is the most dominant color chosen to designate the highest rank minion/baddy? Probably no way of knowing for sure seeing there’s too many games out in the market right now! 

Graphics Team · Posted
13 hours ago, Sumez said:

As someone who's never watched Power Ranger and only recognize them by the colors, I had absolutely no clue that some of them were more important than the others. 😛

I wasn't referencing a color-hierarchy among the Power Rangers individually - just that the Power Rangers as a unit are more important that the rest of the characters in the show, and I think their colors make that very clear.

Green Ranger is more important than beige rubber-suit villain haha.

-CasualCart 

Administrator · Posted
On 12/18/2020 at 6:08 PM, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

Let's play "spot the main character" lol. 

53d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1