IGNORED

It is getting to be that time of year - favorite Christmas movies!

Tabonga

Events Team · Posted
27 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

It has been filmed a lot but Gift of the Magi is great - especially if you have not read the O. Henry short story.  Also a very good short film to show children.  Pretty much any version will do as long as it is set back when.

I love the 1952 version in O. Henry's Full House (it is the last story of the five), though the best adaptation in the lot is probably 'The Last Leaf'.

1 minute ago, guillavoie said:

I love the 1952 version in O. Henry's Full House (it is the last story of the five), though the best adaptation in the lot is probably 'The Last Leaf'.

This is kind of funny - I used to work with a lot of Vietnamese who were recent immgrants and most of them had read the story in Vietnamese when they went to high school.   

I like the story so much that I don't have a strong preference for any version (and I have seen a lot of them).

I like just about everything that O. Henry wrote but my favorite is The Ransom of Red Chief.

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

This is kind of funny - I used to work with a lot of Vietnamese who were recent immgrants and most of them had read the story in Vietnamese when they went to high school.   

I like the story so much that I don't have a strong preference for any version (and I have seen a lot of them).

I like just about everything that O. Henry wrote but my favorite is The Ransom of Red Chief.

Man, a version with Harry Dean Stanton, I have to watch that later today! It is indeed a very good and funny short story from O. Henry, the master of the short story!

Also, that's interesting to know that Vietnamese have/had to read some O. Henry in school.

7 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Also, that's interesting to know that Vietnamese have/had to read some O. Henry in school.

I suspect that it is because it such a universal theme.  I have a very good Muslim friend who I shared the story with and he had his children read it after he did.  

I learned a lot of interesting things from them (the Vietnamese). Some of them told me about not understanding what pizza was from their English teachers - who were also Vietnamese and didn't really understand it themselves.

I used to really enjoy helping them with their papers - I would correct their grammar and suggest ways to better organize their writing etc.  I also helped most of them study for their citizenship tests - which they took very seriously indeed.  Most of them worked with me for 4 years and it was really gratifying to see their language skills improve over that time period.

• Like 1

Home Alone 2 (I like the original but 2 just beats the original because of the toy store!)

Jingle All The Way

The Santa Clause

An All Dogs Christmas Carol

Die Hard

And as a few others have said...any Christmas specials of old TV shows/cartoons.

I don't watch a lot of Christmas movies honestly. I'm more into Halloween then Christmas but if I happen across one of these movies playing, I'll watch it. I do love Home Alone 2 though lol.

I always liked the Sesame Street holiday special.   Oscar getting thrown out of the ice rink and through all the stairs is a classic!

Generally pop in Die Hard or Die Hard 2 when wrapping gifts, and then I'll catch Christmas Story a couple times during the 24 hour runs on TBS/TNT.

• Like 1

My wife loves Christmas Carol/Scrooge based movies; the Alstair Sim one is her favorite, with this one being a close second...

Scrooge's Log.  Stardate 41843.2.  We're on route to the cemetery where my dearly departed Number One will be buried...

Edited by Estil

Home Alone

Home Alone 2

The Santa Clause

Christmas Vacation

Christmas Story

Elf

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)

Nightmare Before Christmas

Not really movies but Christmas shorts:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)

Mickey's Christmas Carol

Charlie Brown's Christmas

Garfield's Christmas

Muppet's Christmas Carol

Edited by AstralSoul

My personal favorite version of Christmas Carol/Scrooge is the Disney one...I mean who better to star as Scrooge than, well, Scrooge McDuck!  (Fun fact: This was the last time for the original voice actor of Donald Duck).  A couple of things that make this one stand out is how cute the excuse is he gives for not giving money to the poor (If ya give money to the poor, well then they won't be poor anymore...and you collectors for the poor would be out of jobs!). 

And boy did Bob Cratchet (Mickey) get screwed on this one...while in the original Dickens version and most of the other versions Bob gets 2 1/2 shillings (or half a crown or 1/8 a pound sterling) a day and gets a full day off for Christmas with pay (though Scrooge clearly hates the idea of "a days wages for no work"...hey there's no law even now that makes any employer give a paid day off for Christmas! 😞 )...poor Mickey only get two shillings a day and only 1/2 a day off for Christmas...without pay! 😞 

And they don't f-around with Mr. McD's possible future either!  It shows him not just about to fall into his grave, but also into hell!! 😮 Pretty hardcore for a Christmas special and/or Disney cartoon if you ask me! 😮 

Moderator · Posted
On 12/9/2020 at 2:45 PM, guillavoie said:

I absolutely love The Shop Around the Corner, and like I said, this year I plan on watching The Bishop's Wife for the first time, I should have a good time with this one!

Some I watched last year for the first time that pleased me a lot : It Happened on Fifth Avenue (1947) and Christmas in Connecticut (1945).

Just watched It Happened on 5th Avenue, delightful film!

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Just watched It Happened on 5th Avenue, delightful film!

I'm glad you enjoyed it man! The production as a whole is not first class, but everything works fine together. No big name actors, but the overall performance is solid from everyone. The story is excellent, I love comedies with a lot of 'faux-semblants'. You know, the rich father that accepts to play along for his daughter and has to let the homeless guy run his mansion in his face, lol. And what do these masks and role playing are for? The search of love, of truth, and how Christmas can reveal the humanity in everyone, whatever their class. We need a little faith in these values, at least once a year!

• Like 1