IGNORED

It is getting to be that time of year - favorite Christmas movies!

Tabonga

What are your top 5 favorite Christmas movies?

In alphabetical order I offer these up:

A Christmas Carol (1951) - This is my favorite of the many film offerings of this classic tale - this one rings the truest to the novel to me.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - Pretty self explanatory.

Santa's Slay (2005) - Delicious black comedy horror (if you like that sort of thing).

Scrooged (1988) - A really funny spin on that classic story.

3 Godfathers (1948) - On the surface a western it is actually a retelling of the story of The Three Wise Men.  While I am not a big John Wayne fan he         was in a lot of good movies - this somewhat obscure one is near the top of the list of his movies for me.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 3

Moderator · Posted

My must watches every year are:

Home Alone 1 & 2

Christmas Vacation

Grumpy Old Men

Scrooged

Other movies/shows I typically watch are:

Elf

Gremlins

A Christmas Story

It’s a Wonderful Life

Office Christmas Party

Any old Christmas special like the claymation or grinch. 

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

Christmas Story and National Lampoon are my go-tos. I used to hate Christmas with my original family, but with my wife I am a much bigger fan of the holidays now.

Gremlins is another personal favorite, but my wife isn't a fan of it so I rarely sit to watch it.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

I love watching classic Christmas movies during the Holiday season, this year I have a selection from the 30's-50's that I have never seen before (Holiday Affair, The Bishop's Wife, Remember the Night, and a few others), it should be fun.

But my personal favorite is Mon Oncle Antoine (1971), considered one of the most important film ever made in Quebec (if not the most). You guys should give it a go, it is available for free on the NFB's website (Mostly French with English subtitles) https://www.nfb.ca/film/mon_oncle_antoine_en/

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
16 hours ago, doner24 said:

My must watches every year are:

Home Alone 1 & 2

Christmas Vacation

Grumpy Old Men

Scrooged

Other movies/shows I typically watch are:

Elf

Gremlins

A Christmas Story

It’s a Wonderful Life

Office Christmas Party

Any old Christmas special like the claymation or grinch. 

Just for @guillavoie, some other movies that take place during Christmas that I love are The Shop Around the Corner and The Bishop’s Wife. 

• Like 1

At some point in the 80s we recorded The Night They Saved Christmas off of TV and we watched it for years after that, easily until when I was in high school in the late-90's.

I remember the film pretty well, but since I've not seen it in over 20 years, the nostalgia-factor has pushed it towards the top, even if it probably wouldn't stay their for long if I saw it again.

Still, who couldn't like a crotchety old Art Carney playing Santa Claus, who hates the song "Jingle Bells!" 

Events Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Just for @guillavoie, some other movies that take place during Christmas that I love are The Shop Around the Corner and The Bishop’s Wife. 

I absolutely love The Shop Around the Corner, and like I said, this year I plan on watching The Bishop's Wife for the first time, I should have a good time with this one!

Some I watched last year for the first time that pleased me a lot : It Happened on Fifth Avenue (1947) and Christmas in Connecticut (1945).

Moderator · Posted
20 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

I absolutely love The Shop Around the Corner, and like I said, this year I plan on watching The Bishop's Wife for the first time, I should have a good time with this one!

Some I watched last year for the first time that pleased me a lot : It Happened on Fifth Avenue (1947) and Christmas in Connecticut (1945).

I’ve never seen It Happened on 5th Avenue, but it’s streaming on TCM right now so I’ll check it out. Christmas in Connecticut is solid.