IGNORED

Stunt Racer Auction

zak

I bid on that, and my max was $1775, and I felt SUPER RELIEVED that someone bid higher than me.  I would have felt incredibly terrible to spend that much on this item.  But of course, some people are more desperate than me, for whatever reason.  I contacted the seller to see if this was a troll bid, but he confirmed that the buyer paid and shipped already.  It's insane.  Now, I'm talking to a potential CIB Stunt Racer seller who has a worse condition box, a manual with the front and back page missing, and no generic Midway registration card...he's asking for $3000 because of that $4550 sale.  I refuse to pay that much.  Prices won't stay that high for this game.  Are people going to pay $10k for this in 2 years...I highly doubt it.  So, I'll wait.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Vidarr2000 said:

I bid on that, and my max was $1775, and I felt SUPER RELIEVED that someone bid higher than me.  I would have felt incredibly terrible to spend that much on this item.  But of course, some people are more desperate than me, for whatever reason.  I contacted the seller to see if this was a troll bid, but he confirmed that the buyer paid and shipped already.  It's insane.  Now, I'm talking to a potential CIB Stunt Racer seller who has a worse condition box, a manual with the front and back page missing, and no generic Midway registration card...he's asking for $3000 because of that $4550 sale.  I refuse to pay that much.  Prices won't stay that high for this game.  Are people going to pay $10k for this in 2 years...I highly doubt it.  So, I'll wait.

Before this sale, I thought this would be a $2000-$2500 game all day long, though recent sales had been more soft.  Now that it's jumped you won't be finding it under $2500 for a long time, if ever sadly.  Prices can drop after a sharp spike but they never return to where they were...

Shout out to @milligangames for the CIB and CB in 2011 I believe?  Paid $35 for a CIB and $15 or $20 for the CB.  Believe I flipped the CB to a friend for $50 at the time and still have the CIB.  My how times have changed...

2 hours ago, jonebone said:

Before this sale, I thought this would be a $2000-$2500 game all day long, though recent sales had been more soft.  Now that it's jumped you won't be finding it under $2500 for a long time, if ever sadly.  Prices can drop after a sharp spike but they never return to where they were...

Shout out to @milligangames for the CIB and CB in 2011 I believe?  Paid $35 for a CIB and $15 or $20 for the CB.  Believe I flipped the CB to a friend for $50 at the time and still have the CIB.  My how times have changed...

Let's keep in mind that this was over a 6 fold increase from the CIB average of $728.  Whoever bought that is either rich or is going to be eating ramen noodles for awhile.  Increases like this are flukes.  If the seller listed the same game at that price without auction, it would sit there for months with just a lot of watchers.  Prices will probably reset to around $1250.

On a more broad note, once the pandemic resolves and its effects on society wear off over the next few years, I predict game prices will undergo a correction.  People will become normal and spend their money on other things.  Once I’m able to fly to other countries on multiple vacations a year I won’t be buying many more retro games.  Luckily I bought a full 296 N64 cartridge set back in July for only $6000 so I technically have a complete n64 game set.  There is a fine line between being a hardcore collector and being a fool.  The asinine prices for games like Sculptor’s Cut and Stunt Racer just aren’t worth it, and more importantly, make game collecting not fun.  If it’s not fun, people aren’t going to do it as much. 

But, who knows, I could end up being one of those fools anyways while staring at a CIB complete N64 set.

Edited by Vidarr2000
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted
On 12/12/2020 at 10:57 PM, Vidarr2000 said:

I was a bidder and quite sure my snipe of $2224 would be the winner when it started. Couldn’t believe the final price. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, doner24 said:

I was a bidder and quite sure my snipe of $2224 would be the winner when it started. Couldn’t believe the final price. 

Given that previous CIB sales went for around $1250 and under, I wonder what caused the top bidder to come out of the woodwork and throw down $4550?  Was it the bidding frenzy?  Spiteful bidding?  I wonder if there is any buyer's remorse.  Not gonna lie, seeing the whole thing unfold shocked and angered me, as I'm sure it did for a lot of other bidders.