IGNORED

Card collector delving into sealed games

Hello! Brand new to the site thanks to a link from someone in a trading card discord. My main hobby is PSA graded trading cards (pokemon, dragon ball super, and some yugioh). I'm looking to start collecting sealed, and potentially graded, video games mainly focusing on N64 and Game Boy / GBA. I have a small youtube channel (www.youtube.com/c/coopscollection) and am looking forward to being a part of the community!

-Coop

5 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

Welcome Coop.

Sealed Gameboy.... oooh....  that's gonna get pricey, quick!

Haha, that's what I'm afraid of! I think the pokemon games are out of my budget but there are few very nostalgic games for me I'd love to get graded: Golden Sun on GBA as well as Wario Land and Mole Mania on GB

Social Team · Posted

Welcome!  I can't believe people that collect seal games.  That just seems so hard to do.  Course I'm one that likes to collect games from garage sales and flea markets so my chances of finding sealed games is crazy low.  I have seen some but they were "junk" games.  In hindsight I should of picked them up as someone would of appreciated them for a complete collection.   This community will give me another reason to go on hunts come this summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

Welcome!  I can't believe people that collect seal games.  That just seems so hard to do.  Course I'm one that likes to collect games from garage sales and flea markets so my chances of finding sealed games is crazy low.  I have seen some but they were "junk" games.  In hindsight I should of picked them up as someone would of appreciated them for a complete collection.   This community will give me another reason to go on hunts come this summer.

I really need to up my game.  I have about 5 sealed titles from my childhood I really want to collect, and they are steadily climbing.  I'm not really a sealed collector, but the personal classics that I already own on cart and love, I want get those sealed and in excellent shape, but that's completely for shelf candy.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, RH said:

.... that's completely for shelf candy.

My shelf candy, that are older games, consist of boxes that are beat to hell.  Although I did save my GamerGear boxes so they are actually in good condition.  I prized them so much I unfolded them and saved them in the GameGear travel case, where they still are 😬.  I didn't want to throw anything away.  As a collector I can't believe kid me took such care for something.  Usually you get that kind of thing from an adult gamer from back in the day.

Just now, FireHazard51 said:

My shelf candy, that are older games, consist of boxes that are beat to hell.  Although I did save my GamerGear boxes so they are actually in good condition.  I prized them so much I unfolded them and saved them in the GameGear travel case, where they still are 😬.  I didn't want to throw anything away.  As a collector I can't believe kid me took such care for something.  Usually you get that kind of thing from an adult gamer from back in the day.

Dude... I'm so proud of my childhood self, but soooo angry at my college self.  I started keeping all of my boxes AND when I went to retailers, I'd actually have them open the cabinets and I'd choose the 100% best boxes back in the mid to late 90s.  PS1, N64, Game Gear and GB/GBC stuff. I kept all of the boxes, manuals and inserts and I was careful in how I handled my carts so I wouldn't cause scuffs or label wear.

An then college came and all of that painstaking, "smart" behavior for collecting was flushed done the drain for fun money. Uuuuuugh!!!  All I have from that era is my CIB N64 (I never wanted to hassle with shipping it) and a really old promo Sega Saturn VHS because it was so weird, I loved it.  Everything else has been re-collected.

I do still have my OG PS2 I got on launch day, but at that time it was a "modern" console, so I don't count it.  I also threw out the box, which to this day I can't figure out.

3 hours ago, RH said:

I really need to up my game.  I have about 5 sealed titles from my childhood I really want to collect, and they are steadily climbing.  I'm not really a sealed collector, but the personal classics that I already own on cart and love, I want get those sealed and in excellent shape, but that's completely for shelf candy.

Seems like anything collectible has been jumping in price ever since the pandemic hit. At least the trading card market has been insane. Hoping to grab a few games before I get priced out of everything

4 hours ago, RH said:

Dude... I'm so proud of my childhood self, but soooo angry at my college self.  I started keeping all of my boxes AND when I went to retailers, I'd actually have them open the cabinets and I'd choose the 100% best boxes back in the mid to late 90s.  PS1, N64, Game Gear and GB/GBC stuff. I kept all of the boxes, manuals and inserts and I was careful in how I handled my carts so I wouldn't cause scuffs or label wear.

An then college came and all of that painstaking, "smart" behavior for collecting was flushed done the drain for fun money. Uuuuuugh!!!  All I have from that era is my CIB N64 (I never wanted to hassle with shipping it) and a really old promo Sega Saturn VHS because it was so weird, I loved it.  Everything else has been re-collected.

I do still have my OG PS2 I got on launch day, but at that time it was a "modern" console, so I don't count it.  I also threw out the box, which to this day I can't figure out.

Same story, only high school and not college.

And I always feel like my parents should have told me something like "No, we bought these so it's not you're decision to sell them".

I put my N64 and all the games for pennies in a second hand market in some sort of geek-intrests convention. These were the only places you could sell something like that here (before facebook marketplace became a thing) since it wasn't officially released here.

Thankfully (from today's perspective) the damage wasn't that big. The system and most of the games didn't sell. Most importantly, Paper Mario and Ogre Battle didn't sell.

But many of my gameboy games I just donated. On the one hand it feels better to know they were donated and not sold because it's less of a stupid-make-money-fast situation. On the other hand, most likely they didn't end up in the hands of someone who will appreciate them. Learning from that experience, when I needed to get rid of a bunch of board games (the expansive type) that sat in my parents house years after I moved out, I searched specifically who to give them to. Maybe I'll regret not having a few years from now, but I'll be at peace with this decision knowing that the person that I gave them to really appreciated them.

Edited by sg17

Social Team · Posted
7 hours ago, sg17 said:

Same story, only high school and not college.

And I always feel like my parents should have told me something like "No, we bought these so it's not you're decision to sell them".

I put my N64 and all the games for pennies in a second hand market in some sort of geek-intrests convention. These were the only places you could sell something like that here (before facebook marketplace became a thing) since it wasn't officially released here.

Thankfully (from today's perspective) the damage wasn't that big. The system and most of the games didn't sell. Most importantly, Paper Mario and Ogre Battle didn't sell.

But many of my gameboy games I just donated. On the one hand it feels better to know they were donated and not sold because it's less of a stupid-make-money-fast situation. On the other hand, most likely they didn't end up in the hands of someone who will appreciate them. Learning from that experience, when I needed to get rid of a bunch of board games (the expansive type) that sat in my parents house years after I moved out, I searched specifically who to give them to. Maybe I'll regret not having a few years from now, but I'll be at peace with this decision knowing that the person that I gave them to really appreciated them.

Goodwill and the like are other places I love to hunt for games.  I got my pokemon yellow CIB at a GW for $5.  Box is beat to hell but it's one of my best finds ever.

@Coops_Collection You collect MTG?  Its the only cards I collect.  More to actually play than collect.  I threw out hundreds of baseball/football/basketball cards from my early years.  Turns out the years I collected are literally worth nothing.  I did keep a small amount as those where meaning full to me.  God I wasted so much money on them.  Would of been better spending that money on pogs or hot wheels.  I can't think how anything can be less valuable than sports cards from late 80's to early 90's.

• 4 weeks later...