IGNORED

The Metalhead Thread

Hammerfestus

Editorials Team · Posted

That would be tough.  For every Agalloch there is a Windir.  For every Emperor there is a Wolves in the Throne Room.

If we consider Alice in Chains and Faith No More to be metal, I have to lean towards US. 

Otherwise, In Flames, DT, Ghost, Kalmah, and many others probably lead a Scandinavian charge for me.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

That would be tough.  For every Agalloch there is a Windir.  For every Emperor there is a Wolves in the Throne Room.

If we consider Alice in Chains and Faith No More to be metal, I have to lean towards US. 

Otherwise, In Flames, DT, Ghost, Kalmah, and many others probably lead a Scandinavian charge for me.

DT as in Dream Theater?  They're from Kings Park, NY

46 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I’d say you could make the argument Alice in Chains are heavy metal although they probably classify themselves as grunge. Faith No More, well sometimes they’re genre onto their own haha.

Have to agree with the Scandinavian side, it makes it tough but then I think of bands like Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin & Queen. That’s also some tough competition.

Graphics Team · Posted
7 hours ago, drxandy said:

@CasualCart what is up with british drummers fuckin killing it? Listened to a couple tracks and for this one I was like this fuckin drummer man holy crap. I can't believe this isn't a drum track(even though it probably is on the album)

Got them architects vibes from em, I really like the time signature changes though, gonna have to listen more.

Yeah - to be honest all it takes to sell me on drums is a double-kick bass haha, but you're right - this dude is insane. Seems like Oceans Ate Alaska just does whatever they want with their tracks - you never know what's coming and I love it.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
20 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

A while back I got hooked on Ice Nine kills- The silver scream.  
Well written songs based on classic horror movies. 

Heck yeah - I never got into their classic horror stuff, but I listened to "The Power In Belief" constantly for a few months last year. Excellent stuff.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

I never really got into a lot of the US metal scene.  I don’t do the brutal death stuff like Deicide and all them or the post nu metal stuff ala Lamb of God and all those bands with full sentences as band names that seems to be really prevalent.  The US does have some real gems though.  Agalloch, Iced Earth, Symphony X, etc.  Plus the obvious legends and the better examples of hair metal.  Oh the hair metal.

I think that rather than being its own scene I’d argue that the metal coming out of Scandinavia is just the cream of the crop of the larger European metal scene.  It’s not as if they are all producing some sort of homogenous output.  You want black metal you look to Norway.  You want death metal you go Sweden.  You want folk influenced metal or power metal you’re looking for Finland.  Germany obviously has their industrial stuff as well as the whole medieval metal scene.  Etc.  There‘s obviously significant crossover as well as a decent number of American bands in these styles.  

I guess the point I‘m making now (I don’t know that I was when I started) is that I don’t know that the modern UK scene is particularly distinct from that wider scene.  Maybe it is?  Either way, to me England is ground zero for heavy metal.  NWOBHM basically kicked off everything around the world.   Of course there’s Black Sabbath.  One could argue that Ritchie Blackmore and Dio are as important to the foundational sound as Sabbath.  And let’s not forget Iron Maiden.  Easily as influential as Metallica, nearly all melodic metal is in their debt.  

Wait.  What was I talking about?  Everything I just said might’ve been nonsense.

3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I never really got into a lot of the US metal scene.  I don’t do the brutal death stuff like Deicide and all them or the post nu metal stuff ala Lamb of God and all those bands with full sentences as band names that seems to be really prevalent.  The US does have some real gems though.  Agalloch, Iced Earth, Symphony X, etc.  Plus the obvious legends and the better examples of hair metal.  Oh the hair metal.

I think that rather than being its own scene I’d argue that the metal coming out of Scandinavia is just the cream of the crop of the larger European metal scene.  It’s not as if they are all producing some sort of homogenous output.  You want black metal you look to Norway.  You want death metal you go Sweden.  You want folk influenced metal or power metal you’re looking for Finland.  Germany obviously has their industrial stuff as well as the whole medieval metal scene.  Etc.  There‘s obviously significant crossover as well as a decent number of American bands in these styles.  

I guess the point I‘m making now (I don’t know that I was when I started) is that I don’t know that the modern UK scene is particularly distinct from that wider scene.  Maybe it is?  Either way, to me England is ground zero for heavy metal.  NWOBHM basically kicked off everything around the world.   Of course there’s Black Sabbath.  One could argue that Ritchie Blackmore and Dio are as important to the foundational sound as Sabbath.  And let’s not forget Iron Maiden.  Easily as influential as Metallica, nearly all melodic metal is in their debt.  

Wait.  What was I talking about?  Everything I just said might’ve been nonsense.

Haha I don’t know what your point is but I agree with it.

Editorials Team · Posted

The US has sheer numbers on its side.  Even if a lot of it is stuff any given metalhead may not be into.

You've got Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Megadeth, Exodus and so forth

You've got Dream Theater, Tool, Queensrych, Symphony X, Between the Buried and Me and so forth

You've got Death, Suffocation, Atheist, Cynic, The Faceless and so forth

You've got Periphery, After the Burial, Human Abstract and so forth

You've got Agalloch, Deafhaven, Wolves in the Throne Room, and so forth

You've got Iced Earth, Kamelot, Savatage and so forth

You've got August Burns Red, Killswitch, As I Lay Dying, and so forth

You got your Faith No Mores and Alice in Chains, and Rage Against the Machines, and Panteras, and Guns n Roses, and so forth

You have your Korns, and Slipknot's, and Deftones and so forth

System of a Down.  Dog Fashion Disco.  Horse the Band.  GWAR...

The Melvins, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, High on Fire...

Regardless of your taste, there's something for everyone.  Even if we don't have the strength of Sweden's MDM, Finland's extreme power, Britain's NWOHM, etc.

Both are awesome! Some nods to America on some styles though.

I would take Slayer and Megadeth over Sodom and Kreator.

I would take Death and Cynic over In Flames and Amon Amarth.

And outside of Opeth, American progressive metal has no equal.

That being said, we are comparing gold to platinum. All of it is really really good.

3 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Both are awesome! Some nods to America on some styles though.

I would take Slayer and Megadeth over Sodom and Kreator.

I would take Death and Cynic over In Flames and Amon Amarth.

And outside of Opeth, American progressive metal has no equal.

That being said, we are comparing gold to platinum. All of it is really really good.

And Meshuggah!  I will agree with this.  Although I do play prog metal myself haha but we're more Megadeth/Angra.  Also Intronaut is pretty damn good for an American band.  I really don't like that prog now means just lower quality Meshuggah, personally.

37 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

And Meshuggah!  I will agree with this.  Although I do play prog metal myself haha but we're more Megadeth/Angra.  Also Intronaut is pretty damn good for an American band.  I really don't like that prog now means just lower quality Meshuggah, personally.

Not a huge meshuggah fan, but mad respect to tomas haake. He's got to be in the top 10 for metal drummers. The song bleed hurts my brain just trying keep the count. That double bass pedal is 🔥.

@Silent Hill @Aguy

so i checked out both tracks. the first from silent. i like it. he likes to sing and seems to "soften" it up. 

the "rats". was "harder". he still wanted to sing. even though he would be screaming. he still wanted to sing...like brittney spears. rats was "harder" but i dont know why. faster and chugga chugga chugga badada dadada da...