IGNORED

The Metalhead Thread

Hammerfestus

In '99, I was still in my ska phase (Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Aquabats) playing trombone in the middle school orchestra. But I remember Korn, Limp Bizkit, and all the other Family Values bands blowing up. I was never a big nu metal fan but have (finally) gotten into the Deftones over the past couple years.

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@docile tapeworm I'm not really into nu metal at all.

And I don't mean that in any remotely elitist way because I love all sorts of anti-elitist shit like metalcore, newer In Flames, Ghost, etc.

The irony of Faith No More being one of my top 3 artists is not lost on me either.

nu metal = pop/rap metal?

2 minutes ago, Aguy said:

In '99, I was still in my ska phase (Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Aquabats) playing trombone in the middle school orchestra. But I remember Korn, Limp Bizkit, and all the other Family Values bands blowing up. I was never a big nu metal fan but have (finally) gotten into the Deftones over the past couple years.

im more a ska fan myself. bosstones is good. superjimtendo is a ska guy, he knows more than me. 

always heard of deftones but never gave them a listen

Agreed, Deftones gave a very strong catalogue. They do have some of the key features of nu metal and AtF and White Pony came out at the height of nu metal. But they have such a unique and distinct sound, very atmospheric.

The band itself doesn't think of themselves as nu metal, and after pressure from their label to make a nu metal single for their White Pony album, they released this song which they all hate.

Saturday Night Wrist has one of my least favorite songs (Pink Cellophane) but also one of my favorite with Rats! Rats! Rats! It's a more extreme metal track but still works in a quick chug riff.

Edited by Aguy

31 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Unpopular opinion: I absolutely love Dream Theater and Nightwish.

No way.  Only Dream Theater I ever got into was 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence.  
But, Nightwish is awesome.  I only really paid attention to the Tarja years but man did they put out some rocking and beautiful tunes.

Also-

James LaBrie has a Hitler mustache.  

Editorials Team · Posted

And just for full disclosure, here are a lot of the bands I've been considering for the debate series

All the major players (Sabbath, Slayer, etc.)

As I Lay Dying, Parkway Drive, Asking Alexandria, All that Remains, etc.

Dream Theater, Coheed, Opeth, Tool, etc.

Lamb of God, In Flames, Mastodon, etc.

Mercyful Fate, Behemoth, Meshuggah, etc.

The problem is a lot of them will top out at 15 votes.

@CasualCart what is up with british drummers fuckin killing it? Listened to a couple tracks and for this one I was like this fuckin drummer man holy crap. I can't believe this isn't a drum track(even though it probably is on the album)

Got them architects vibes from em, I really like the time signature changes though, gonna have to listen more.