Jump to content
IGNORED

Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC character reqest poll


Alex Nguyen
 Share

Smash Ultimate DLC character request poll  

18 members have voted

  1. 1. Who would you like to see in the Smash Bros Ultimate as DLC?

    • Ray [any model] (Custom Robo series)
      1
    • Blaziken (Pokémon)
      0
    • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive series)
      3
    • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
      0
    • Addam Origo (Xenoblade 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country)
      0
    • Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
      0
    • Hector (Fire Emblem)
      0
    • Jin Kazama (Tekken)
      0
    • Crash Bandicoot
      3
    • Doom Guy
      0
    • Asuka (Senran Kagura)
      0
    • Meowth (Pokémon)
      0
    • Geno (Super Mario RPG)
      2
    • Ring Fit Trainee
      0
    • Saki (Sin and Punishment)
      0
    • Other
      9

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/13/2020 at 02:00 AM

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately for Geno, on his own, he just doesn’t have the mass appeal that Smash characters need to bring to the game.

Geno is kinda a random unknown character. He could probably work if they could figure out how to merge him with the generic Mage archetype from Final Fantasy.
 

If they designed him in a way that he could look like Geno to Mario RPG fans, but he still looks like the iconic Mage to Final Fantasy fans then you’d have a winner.

@CasualCart Do you think that it would be possible to design such a thing? I’m not requesting a sketch (although if you opted to do one it would be very cool), just curious on thoughts from a known artist. 

Edited by phart010
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With few exceptions, I think Nintendo is looking for several criteria: 

1. Mass appeal

2. Iconic as a video game character

3. Legacy - Has had a series of games across multiple Nintendo consoles.

4. Diverse enough attacks to make a good move set.

Many of these characters, while very cool, are probably lacking in mass appeal. By mass appeal, I mean huge following, like Minecraft for example. I think Minecraft fails in all the other criteria, but it’s mass appeal was substantial enough to get Nintendo to overlook the other things. 

I’ve thought about this for some time. Iconic and having a Nintendo legacy (but lacking diverse move-sets):

Bubble Bobble, Contra, Master Higgins, Billy/Jimmy Lee

 

These characters could realistically be made into Smash characters. I think they have relatively widespread appeal, are pretty iconic, they’re associated with Nintendo, and could have some good movesets:

Ryo Hayabusa, Ninja Turtles, Shantae, Zero, Rayman, Toad (male and female), maybe Battletoads (if they would just port the new game to Switch..)

 

Crash Bandicoot and Sora are unfortunately more iconic to Sony than Nintendo. But you never know, Nintendo is always up for surprises.

 

Edited by phart010
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

With few exceptions, I think Nintendo is looking for several criteria: 

1. Mass appeal

2. Iconic as a video game character

3. Legacy - Has had a series of games across multiple Nintendo consoles.

4. Diverse enough attacks to make a good move set.

Many of these characters, while very cool, are probably lacking in mass appeal. By mass appeal, I mean huge following, like Minecraft for example. I think Minecraft fails in all the other criteria, but it’s mass appeal was substantial enough to get Nintendo to overlook the other things. 

I’ve thought about this for some time. Iconic and having a Nintendo legacy (but lacking diverse move-sets):

Bubble Bobble, Contra, Master Higgins, Billy/Jimmy Lee

 

These characters could realistically be made into Smash characters. I think they have relatively widespread appeal, are pretty iconic, they’re associated with Nintendo, and could have some good movesets:

Ryo Hayabusa, Ninja Turtles, Shantae, Zero, Rayman, Toad (male and female), maybe Battletoads (if they would just port the new game to Switch..)

 

Crash Bandicoot and Sora are unfortunately more iconic to Sony than Nintendo. But you never know, Nintendo is always up for surprises.

 

Don’t forget #5, a game that is about to come out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted other. I've always thought they should include Slime from dragon quest. He's that series' Pikachu. Give him the moves he had in dragon quest heroes rocket slime and have his ultimate smash be him in a tank or something. 

Other thoughts I've had are Shovel Knight, hammer bros, king boo, Zora, goron, vacuum Luigi, and maybe Zero. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Graphics Team · Posted
On 12/5/2020 at 10:45 PM, phart010 said:

Unfortunately for Geno, on his own, he just doesn’t have the mass appeal that Smash characters need to bring to the game.

Geno is kinda a random unknown character. He could probably work if they could figure out how to merge him with the generic Mage archetype from Final Fantasy.
 

If they designed him in a way that he could look like Geno to Mario RPG fans, but he still looks like the iconic Mage to Final Fantasy fans then you’d have a winner.

@CasualCart Do you think that it would be possible to design such a thing? I’m not requesting a sketch (although if you opted to do one it would be very cool), just curious on thoughts from a known artist. 

I think a mashup-character like that would be technically possible, but I don't think people would be too happy about it. Final Fantasy fans would be upset that it's not a proper Mage, Super Mario RPG fans would be upset that it isn't really Geno, and everyone would just be confused haha.

-CasualCart

1651861627_GenoMage.jpg.bed0bb282211785d97e69f8d4c09ba07.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I think a mashup-character like that would be technically possible, but I don't think people would be too happy about it. Final Fantasy fans would be upset that it's not a proper Mage, Super Mario RPG fans would be upset that it isn't really Geno, and everyone would just be confused haha.

-CasualCart

1651861627_GenoMage.jpg.bed0bb282211785d97e69f8d4c09ba07.jpg

Idk why but when I see this I also think of skull kid who would also be an interesting playable smash characters. Nice piece of work once again btw!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

 

 

 

What is this supposed to be all about? Did he turn into this in Final Fantasy??

40E7DE43-3398-4EC0-826A-D76EBE46B1ED.thumb.png.e764e3a782480a212173f9d2aebb7837.png

Funny how he just sliced Galeem in half. Does that mean Galeem is dead now? I guess that means story mode has concluded... No more evil god-like entity to threaten the universe 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

I am not a Smash Bros guy and never have been, though I've considered getting this one if it ever drops below $20. I was thinking last week, though, "man, that game needs Sephiroth to pair with Cloud. If that happened, I'd get the game."

Well what do you know! I saw in my news feed today that he was announced as the next DLC characters, so I guess Smash Bros is moving up my want list.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, phart010 said:

What is this supposed to be all about? Did he turn into this in Final Fantasy??

40E7DE43-3398-4EC0-826A-D76EBE46B1ED.thumb.png.e764e3a782480a212173f9d2aebb7837.png

Funny how he just sliced Galeem in half. Does that mean Galeem is dead now? I guess that means story mode has concluded... No more evil god-like entity to threaten the universe 

Here's the FFVII version.

sephiroth.jpg

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, RH said:

I am not a Smash Bros guy and never have been, though I've considered getting this one if it ever drops below $20. I was thinking last week, though, "man, that game needs Sephiroth to pair with Cloud. If that happened, I'd get the game."

Well what do you know! I saw in my news feed today that he was announced as the next DLC characters, so I guess Smash Bros is moving up my want list.

$20? For a tentpole Nintendo title? Never happening.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...