IGNORED

Game Boy Player

twiztor

i recently bought the Game Boy Player accessory for the Gamecube. (Hey, i found a good deal on it and i always love those forgotten/underappreciated add-ons!)  Are there any games that are greatly enhanced by this peripheral? Missions that would later be DLC instead? Great games that become couch co-op? Additional modes? Enhanced graphics? 

Alternately, are any games WORSE than in their GBA format?

Gameboy Player is basically a Gameboy Advance on a tv screen. Some Gameboy and Gameboy color games have extra content and enhanced color modes when played on Super Gameboy for SNES. That additional content is not experienced when using the Gameboy player. You basically get the same playing mode as you would on the GBA except on the big screen.

There are GameCube games that benefit from additional content when using the corresponding Gameboy Advance games via the Gameboy Advance link controller port adapter. But that is totally independent of the Gameboy Player.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, phart010 said:

There are GameCube games that benefit from additional content when using the corresponding Gameboy Advance games via the Gameboy Advance link controller port adapter. But that is totally independent of the Gameboy Player.

Not so fast dude! When the GameCube was current I had two GameCubes hooked up to two TVs in the same room, and played Four Swords Adventure using the GameCube with the Gameboy Player as the second screen... Man, I was fucking COOL! 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

Are there any games that are greatly enhanced by this peripheral?

No. A few games, such as Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Drill Dozer, make use of the standard Controller's Rumble Feature when played on a Game Boy Player. If you happen to have the GameCube's Component cable (or alternative), the Game Boy Player can display all Game Boy games in Progressive Scan but the difference is minor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

No. A few games, such as Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Drill Dozer, make use of the standard Controller's Rumble Feature when played on a Game Boy Player. If you happen to have the GameCube's Component cable (or alternative), the Game Boy Player can display all Game Boy games in Progressive Scan but the difference is minor.

I never knew that. A very cool feature of a very cool add-on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, erac said:

The carts with rumble or a light sensor aren't that useful in a GB Player.

🤣 thanks for that!

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

When did the Game Boy Player become "forgotten/ underappreciated?"

i would say this thread is a pretty good example that the GBP's rep isn't stellar.

41 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I think the opposite happened. That handheld gaming got more appreciated. 

although this is a really good point too, and something i hadn't considered.

thanks everybody for chiming in. a bit disappointed that this peripheral doesn't seem to have the same upgrade capabilities that the Super Game Boy did for the SNES.

In Mickey’s Magical Mirror GC if you connect the Mickeys Magical Quest GBA via the link cable it unlocks new content. Also in Metroid Prime if you connect Metroid Fusion via the link cable you can play in the Fusion suit. You can also unlock Metroid NES and and play it with the GC controller.

Theres probably other games that you can do this with too

52 minutes ago, twiztor said:

🤣 thanks for that!

i would say this thread is a pretty good example that the GBP's rep isn't stellar.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing that here ar all. If it's because the GBP doesn't enhance the games, I'm not sure why you are focusing on that. It plays GB games on a big screen with a regular controller. What more could anyone want?

I should mention that Game Boy Color games with Rumble do work with the Game Boy Player and are playable, but they're a little harder to get into the cartridge slot. Also, you might want to turn the Rumble off (or remove the Battery) unless you don't mind it shaking your GameCube.

11 hours ago, OptOut said:

Not so fast dude! When the GameCube was current I had two GameCubes hooked up to two TVs in the same room, and played Four Swords Adventure using the GameCube with the Gameboy Player as the second screen... Man, I was fucking COOL! 😎

I never did get to try/see it but I did imagine the idea and think it would indeed be kewl 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...