IGNORED

Console By Genre Debate #1: Which is the Best Console for Playing RPG's From the 6th Generation?

SilverspoonGaming

Console By Genre Debate #1: Which is the Best Console for Playing RPG's From the 6th Generation?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Gamer Debate #1: Which is the Best Console for Playing RPG's From the 6th Generation? (No Handhelds)

• Sega Dreamcast
    • Sony Playstation 2
    • Microsoft Xbox
    • Nintendo Gamecube

I absolutely suck at RPGs but am very enthralled over the idea of the game, and the way the graphics are done in them.  The 6th generation had a ton of great RPGs, but I think that the PS2 dominated that generation when it came to RPG titles.  They may not all hold up today, but the PS2 exclusives like the .Hack and Xenosaga games push it above what was available elsewhere at the time.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

PS2 is a no-brainer here.

The Final Fantasys, the MegaTens, the Personas, the Disgaeas, the Xenosagas, the Dark Clouds... plus installments for everything from Grandia, Ys, Front Mission, and Star Ocean, to Breath of Fire, Growlanser, Kings Field, and Suikoden.

And of course, Dragon Quest VIII.

It is lacking in WRPGs, but those mostly wouldn't show up until the next gen.

• Like 3

Now this is my kind of debate.

When it comes to RPGs 3 systems are heralded as the best for the genre, some argue PS1 had the greatest and most defining RPGs of any platform (i am of that camp), others argue SNES. However, many people, myself included believe that the PS2 is right up there with the previous 2 juggernauts.

By far, I have played, and completed, the most RPGs on the PS2. I made it a personal effort to hunt down and have a playable copy of every single one, to the point that I have complete lists of every RPG made for the system. I'm probably about 75% done with the Catalogue, with only about 20 or so RPGs I haven't played or completed.

In alphabetical order:

1. .Hack // G.U. Vol. 1 // Rebirth
2. .Hack // G.U. Vol. 2 // Reminisce
3. .Hack // G.U. Vol. 3 // Redemption
4. .Hack Infection: Part One
5. .Hack Mutation: Part Two
6. .Hack Outbreak: Part Three
7. .Hack Quarantine: Part Four
8. Ar Tonelico I: Melody of Elemia
9. Ar Tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica
10. Arc The Lad: End of Darkness
11. Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
12. Atelier Iris 1: Eternal Mana
13. Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
14. Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
15. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
16. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
17. Bard's Tale, The
18. Baroque
19. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
20. Champions of Norrath
21. Champions: Return to Arms
22. Chaos Wars
23. Dark Cloud 1
24. Dark Cloud 2
25. Dawn of Mana
26. Digimon World 4: Digital Monsters
27. Digimon World: Data Squad
28. Disgaea 1: Hour of Darkness
29. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
30. Dokapon Kingdom
31. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
32. Drakengard 1
33. Drakengard 2
34. Dual Hearts
35. Duel Masters
36. Ephemeral Fantasia
37. Eternal Poison
38. Eternal Ring
39. Evergrace
40. Everquest Online Adventures
41. Everquest Online Adventures: Frontiers
42. Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
43. Final Fantasy X
44. Final Fantasy X-2
45. Final Fantasy XI Online
46. Final Fantasy XI Online: Chains of Promathia
47. Final Fantasy XI Online: Treasures of Aht Urhgan
48. Final Fantasy XI Online: Vana'diel Collection
49. Final Fantasy XI Online: Wings of the Goddess
50. Final Fantasy XII
51. Forever Kingdom
52. Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
53. Front Mission 4
54. Fullmetal Alchemist 1: And The Broken Angel
55. Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Curse of the Crimson Elixir
56. Future Tactics
57. Gladius
58. Graffiti Kingdom
59. Grandia II
60. Grandia III
61. Grandia Xtreme
62. GrimGrimoire
63. Growlanser Generations
64. Growlanser Heritage of War
65. Harvest Moon: A wonderful Life
66. Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland
67. Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff
68. Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon
69. Inuyusha: The Secret Of The Cursed Mask
70. Jade Cocoon 2
71. Justice League Heroes
72. Kingdom Hearts
73. Kingdom Hearts II
74. Kingdom Hearts RE Chain of Memories
75. King's Field: The Ancient City
76. La Pucelle Tactics
77. Legaia 2: Duel Saga
78. Legend of Alon D'ar, The
79. Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
80. Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color
81. Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
82. Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome
83. Mana Khemia 1: Alchemists of Al-Revis
84. Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy
85. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1
86. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
87. Megaman X: Command Mission
88. Metal Saga
89. Monster Hunter
90. MS Saga: A New Dawn
91. Musashi: Samurai Legend
92. Nightmare of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon
93. Odin Sphere
94. Okage: Shadow King
95. Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
96. Phantasy Star Universe
97. Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus
98. Phantom Brave
99. Puzzle Quest
100. Radiata Stories
101. River King: A Wonderful Journey
102. Rogue Galaxy
103. Romancing Saga
104. RPG Maker 2
105. RPG Maker 3
106. Sakura Wars: So Long My Love
107. Sega Genesis Collection
108. Shadow Hearts
109. Shadow Hearts: Covenant
110. Shadow Hearts: From the New World
111. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
112. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2
113. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
114. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
115. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
116. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
117. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
118. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
119. Shining Force EXA
120. Shining Force Neo
121. Shining Tears
122. Soul Nomad & The World Eaters
123. Star Ocean Till The End of Time
124. Steambot Chronicles
125. Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
126. Suikoden III
127. Suikoden IV
128. Suikoden V
129. Suikoden Tactics
130. Summoner
131. Summoner 2
132. Tales of Legendia
133. Tales of the Abyss
134. Tsugunai: Atonement
135. Unlimited Saga
136. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
137. Virtua Quest
138. Wild Arms 3
139. Wild Arms 4
140. Wild Arms 5
141. Wild Arms Alter Code F
142. Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
143. Xenosaga
144. Xenosaga II
145. Xenosaga III
146. X-Men Legends
147. X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
148. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1

I'm sure almost everyone would say PS2 (including myself), but GameCube has plenty of good RPGs as well and is a close second in terms of quality:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Baten Kaitos: Origins

Evolution Worlds

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Gladius

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life

Harvest Moon: Magical Melody

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

Lost Kingdoms

Lost Kindoms II

Mega Man X: Command Mission (better than the PS2 version due its higher framerate, having more Figures to collect, and better field controls)

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (easily my favorite RPG from that generation)

Phantasy Star Online: Episodes 1 & 2

Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution

Pokémon Colosseum

Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness

Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Tales of Symphonia

X-Men Legends

X-Men Legends II

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

Yeah, it's a no contest across the board for the PS2/Gamecube/Dreamcast/Xbox generation for basically everything except online games.

PS2 completely dominated that generation. Everyone else was just fighting for the scraps. It dominated so hard that it made Sega completely retreat from the industry entirely. (well, that and their horrible business practices but still!)

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

I'm sure almost everyone would say PS2 (including myself), but GameCube has plenty of good RPGs as well and is a close second in terms of quality:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Baten Kaitos: Origins

Evolution Worlds

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Gladius

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life

Harvest Moon: Magical Melody

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

Lost Kingdoms

Lost Kindoms II

Mega Man X: Command Mission (better than the PS2 version due its higher framerate, having more Figures to collect, and better field controls)

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (easily my favorite RPG from that generation)

Phantasy Star Online: Episodes 1 & 2

Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution

Pokémon Colosseum

Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness

Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Tales of Symphonia

X-Men Legends

X-Men Legends II

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Paper Mario 1000 YD are easily the best the gamecube had to offer and easily up there among the best of PS2 RPGs.

• Like 1

Xbox? *kicks that option into the horizon* Level-5 was working on an MMORPG for them called "True Fantasy Live Online". The developers were ultimately caught unprepared for the fact that Microsoft decided to cancel it. Their reason? "There were too many MMORPGs out there." Despite the fact that game itself was going to be something the other consoles were not offering. Beyond that, their Shin Megami Tensei game (Nine) is one of those Japan exclusives that might as well have not come here. I personally like it, but do not see it being the RPG others would praise. Along with other issues like the end result for Phantasy Star Online, as well as their sub-par RPGs.

Dreamcast? This would have been my favorite console if it did not die so early. But in the realm of RPGs it did have a few gems. Such as Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II. As for Phantasy Star Online, this console has been my official entry into the franchise. So a part of me likes it a bit more than the Gamecube version. The only game that gave me mixed feelings is Record of Lodoss War: Advent of Cardice. But other than that all of the other RPGs ranged from flops to mixed for me.

Gamecube? I did not own mine for a long time. This was because I made the mistake of selling it so I could collect the .hack//SIGN anime series. Despite that I also enjoyed Phantasy Star Online on that console, and found a small list of both Japanese and U.S. RPGs that I wish I had played on it. Maybe in the future if Nintendo, Sega, etc. allow it. But until that day comes I have to honestly note that my favorites on this was the Resident Evil/Biohazard games they made for it. So much that I burnt myself out trying to complete that set several times in the last few years.

Which leads us to the PlayStation 2. Not much I can say here. So skipping that that I have played, but never finished, a lot of RPGs while I owned it. But can say that I hope to play ROM versions of Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VIII, Torneko's Great Adventure 3, and Young Yangus and the Mysterious Dungeon (with the latter being on my "wish list"). Plus there were a few Japan releases that were on my old want list. But we'll see if they return in the end.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 10:54 PM, Amermoe said:

Now this is my kind of debate.

When it comes to RPGs 3 systems are heralded as the best for the genre, some argue PS1 had the greatest and most defining RPGs of any platform (i am of that camp), others argue SNES. However, many people, myself included believe that the PS2 is right up there with the previous 2 juggernauts.

By far, I have played, and completed, the most RPGs on the PS2. I made it a personal effort to hunt down and have a playable copy of every single one, to the point that I have complete lists of every RPG made for the system. I'm probably about 75% done with the Catalogue, with only about 20 or so RPGs I haven't played or completed.

While I agree PS2, PS1 and SNES are the JRPG kings, I would put the DS right up there with them. Maybe the GBA too although most of the RPGs on GBA are ports. 

The PS2 is by far the clear winner here in the 6th gen, a much more interesting debate would be PS2 vs PS1 vs SNES (and maybe DS) JRPGs. I'd be interested in knowing what the favorite is there because I don't even have a straight answer for that one. I'd have to really think about it and analyze the games.

• Like 3

Is there much of a reason to even vote?  Personally I'd pick despite the quantity of them, and aggravatingly lacking both Square and Enix as they were the best of the best throughout the 90s, I'd throw it as a toss up between the Dreamcast and the Gamecube.

But let's just be boring, maybe honest, but definitely boring -- PS2.  The library was dramatically so much larger it's kind of hard to say it didn't have the best RPGs if anything because they could just run the tables on sheer numbers.

Personally I'd take the GC with Paper Mario 1000 Year Door, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Evolution Worlds (which is Evo 1 and 2), the Baten Kaitos line, Mega Man X Command Mission, also the line of Lost Kingdoms, Pokemon titles.

And going more into the on foot weeds moving more into an action/rpg or sim/rpg style you have Baldur's Gate, Zelda games, the Phantasy Star Online titles, Summoner, Harvest Moon games, Virtua Quest, Custom Robo, Mega Man Network Transmission, etc.

I threw the Dreamcast under the bus there, some of them are upgraded DC titles which is why i said toss up between the two.  DC didn't last as long, but it too had some unique gems like Lodoss War which was Diablo/Baldurs Gate DA like, Grandia II, I guess Shenmue counts, Silver, Time Stalkers, EGG, the overly late released Pier Solar, and others Japan got.

But all those gems, some hidden, some overly obvious, they just get overshadowed when a system sells like 10x the amount of the others in sheer volume, even if a lot of that volume has debate to it and could be utter crap, volume matters to shallow buyers seeing more in quantity than quality when around all that garbage you get gems like FF10, Dragon Quest, etc.

• Like 2

There are like 5 Gamecube RPGs on or really close to my top 100 games list so I'd readily agree with the quality of its very top offerings but I'm kinda skeptical Gamecube RPGs could even win a top 10 battle against PS2. After Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, the two Baten Kaitos games, and I guess Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (haven't played), it's...pretty much out of consensus great games. Whatever your taste in PS2 RPGs is, those last two or three spots are probably gonna be a bye.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...