IGNORED

Console Debate #5: Xbox 360

fox

How do you rate the Xbox 360?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Xbox 360?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2020 at 05:59 AM

i went with 8. i own one, and i'm not really into the modern AAA style games that became king during its tenure. the sheer variety is mind boggling. so many excellent games, from so many genres. online multiplayer, an achievement system, rereleases, remasters, and compilations galore. not all of that was exclusive to xbox, but it's still impossible to ignore.

i was thinking about this last night (independently of this poll) and i think the 360 controller is the best controller around as far as ergonomics, button placement, and comfort. it just feels right.

• Like 2

I bought almost all of my multi-platform games on the PS3 instead the 360 and I am staring to think I made the wrong decision. I recently grabbed a Reach console and have been playing some of my 360 library and it feels great. I feel happier playing it than the playstation 3. I am playing dif. games than I own on the PS3, but I really think it is the controller and slightly better graphics.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

The 360 played a major role in roping me back into (at the time) modern gaming. It marked the generation when all the major console libraries began to "bleed together" but, as I opted for the 360 over the PS3, it was a system that I must have dumped thousands of hours into. Castle Crashers alone probably got a couple hundred out of me. Oh...and Battlefield 1943. I was addicted to that game.

My original "fat" model got so much use that I killed 2 disc drives. When the second one failed, I just bought a refurbished slim model, which is the one I still have today. I've also gone through more 360 controllers than any other console, although a lot of that wear and tear was due to my kids. I know I've owned at least 8.

I don't play it much anymore but I still hold on to it for the handful of great games that I don't own on any other platform.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Maybe 7/10 in a vacuum, but 3/10 considering other options and how console personality started to really die this generation. I played nearly every popular Xbox 360 game on PC except some co-op campaigns I played with my college roommates. It has very few exclusives and 30fps action games make me want to die, so I'm never playing the 360 version of Mass Effect 2 or Oblivion even if they're great games. "Inferior, there are better alternatives to this" feels right to me.

It has the best home version of Daytona USA (along with PS3 of course) so it deserves props for that. 6th (?) times the charm for Daytona ports.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Hard to say.

Notorious hardware problems.  Lack of blu-ray playback.  And I preferred the PS3 exclusives such as Demons Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes, the HD collections, etc.

But the controller is perfect.  The interface was perfect.  XBL was by far the best way to play with friends.

And just an exceptionally deep catalog of games.  This is where we saw the strongest Western developers, that previously were relegated to the world of PC, come over and completely own the scene.

The Bioshocks, the Mass Effects, Dragon Age, Portal 2, Orange Box, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Dishonored, Mirror's Edge, Just Cause 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 4, Bayonetta, the four Tomb Raiders, Bad Company 1 and 2, the Call of Duty's, the GTAs, the Batman's, the Assassin's Creeds, the Gears, the Dead Space trilogy, Condemned 1 and 2, the FEAR trilogy, Braid, Limbo, Borderlands, Red Dead, Dark Souls, Alan Wake, Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars 1 and 2,  Toy Soldiers 1 and 2, Crysis, the Far Crys, and on and on.

So I'm thinking 8 or 9 for the library.  But since there is so much crossover nowadays I'm not sure how to score the console.

• Like 1

9/10. This is the console that started the digital and indie revolutions, made online play standard, and refined numerous genres. The library is also insanely good with the vast majority of third party titles performing the best.

Comes in right behind the NES, SNES, and PS1 for me.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted

9/10 for me. This is the console that got me back gaming after nearly 10 years of spotty playing. Fallout 3 is what had me buy the console, and then found other games like Bioshock, Skyrim, GOW, COD, Arkham, Fable, GTAV and many others.

Plus it got me into Indy and online exclusive games like games like Braid, Limbo, and the very underrated Shadow Complex. Plus found a really fun sports game in NHL 3 on 3 which was basically NFL Blitz on ice. I found the interface much easier to use than the PlayStation Network. 

• Like 1

The 360 is the only video game system I inherited when I got married.  My wife had one that she got as Christmas git for the sole purpose of playing the Dance games with the Kinect.  Our model has probably spent way more time being used as a streaming device, but I've had some enjoyment with it playing the Forza series along with a hand full of other games.  I actually don't know if I can give it an honest review or not.  I was definitely a PS3 person during that generation, but I also owned a Wii.  Since I got the 360 before the next gen came out, it was technically the first time I had ever owned every major console in a generation while the systems were still active, but the 360 was definitely used the least out of that group.   

• Like 1

I finally got one when Perfect Dark HD was announced for XBLA and after I was introduced to Left 4 Dead. Played it much more for other solid releases on it.

Was the goto of multiplayer games during it's run, even with red ring of death

Honestly if the 360 hadn't been as successful as it was we might not have Xbox today (it was the #1 console of it's generation for a good while)

7/10, almost went 8, but I agree with @captmorgandrinker the issues with red ring were too prevalent and knock it down a peg.

• Like 1

8/10 - Hovered between 7 and 8 on this one.  No specific feature of this system stands out.  I don't have Kinect, I never paid more than the $1 trial for a Gold account, and I barely own any exclusive AAA titles.

And yet somehow I own/love more games on this system than any other console except my NES (by far), thanks mostly to Xbox Live Arcade and keeping a sharp eye on sale prices for the last 10 years.

Does it say anything that almost every game I like on this system can be had elsewhere?  Maybe, but I think that says more about modern consoles in general than it does about Xbox 360 specifically.

So take all this with a grain of salt, but this is currently one of my favorite systems.  I went through my history and jotted down every game I've played through and enjoyed.  This list is too long to deny that there was something great going on here!

1942: Joint Strike, BattleBlock Theater, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Boom Boom Rocket, Braid, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Castle Crashers, Catherine, The Cave, Comic Jumper, Deathsmiles, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Double Dragon Neon, DuckTales Remastered, Fez, Galaga Legions/DX, Geometry Wars 1&2, Half-Minute Hero, Karateka, Life is Strange, Limbo, Mega Man 9, Mushihimesama Futari, Outland, Pac-Man Championship Edition/DX, Peggle, Portal, Raiden Fighters Aces, Raskulls, Rayman Origins, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Shadow Complex, Space Invaders: Infinity Gene, Splosion Man, Super Meat Boy, Winterbottom

...and that's not counting stuff from other eras, like arcade, Genesis, and N64.  It also doesn't include other great games I just haven't gotten around to yet.  For example, I have a couple of Batman's Arkham games and just need more free time.  Ditto Portal 2, Mirror's Edge and the two Rayman games.

Oh, and my Gamerscore is a paltry 19,970.  This thread popped up just as I was trying to think of a fun achievement to go for to land on the big 20K. 🙂

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 2

Man I loved the 360. Perfect controller, excellent UI and was the first time online multiplayer was really accessable. I think history will be more kind to the 360 than the present was. Everyone was wrapped up in the PS3 bc it has some jrpg but the 360 was the real hero of the generation. It came in hot with halo 3 and dead rising and never really slowed down. I'll always have a soft spot for it and it might be the most played console of my adulthood. 

• Like 1

This was the gen that I skipped.  Didnt have a Wii, PS3, or 360.  Wife got me a 360 in like 2012 or 2013 but I was busy working full time and going through grad school so I only played Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 on it.  It became our Netflix and DVD player.  Wii U is actually what got me back into gaming after Gamecube/PS2

I won't vote but I respect what it did for online gaming and the titles that people hold in high regard.  I still want to try Bioshock, Fallout, etc

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Screenshot_20201204-200016.png

I vaguely remember this one.  You have to play though the whole game while carrying the gnome or something?

I like your thinking on this, but sadly I would probably unlock other stuff if I tried it right now.

Definitely trying to make the achievement something hard.  Like I remember beating Super Meat Boy's dark world for the first time to get to 10K.

I like to call the 360 "the quitter console"...it works for awhile, then all of a sudden, it quits 😞  I mean if any of you are employers of some sort you wouldn't want an employee who after only a few hours or a few days, just disappears and quits without even saying so and for no apparent reason right?  I prefer these kinds of consoles... 😄 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Quits after a few years you mean?

And then the employee pays for you to ship in for a new employee?  And then they stopped quitting with "later models?"

The RROD is one of the primary demerits for the console.  But it's not a showstopper.

And my 360 will turn on right now and be fine.  The same can't necessarily be said for my PS2, PS3, PS1...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And then the employee pays for you to ship in for a new employee?  And then they stopped quitting with "later models?"

The RROD is one of the primary demerits for the console.  But it's not a showstopper.

I meant in my analogy the human employee quits after only a few hours/days, not the console.  But yeah that must've been so embarrassing for M$ to have to do that...though not nearly as STUPID as when they tried to pull that always online and not playing used games crap 😛   Then again Nintendo had to recall all of their initial Famicoms (Japanese NES's) because of a bad chip or something so I guess they are not without sin in this regard either.