IGNORED

Number of Unlicensed North American Game Boy Color games

Member · Posted
4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

@Mario_Friend1982 : For a more serious reply, I'm not sure of any North American GBC unlicensed games, outside of the homebrew / indie stuff being made now?

I know the UK had some carts, and then there was the Wisdom Tree stuff, but the latter was for the b/W GB.

Yes, this is my observation as well. Technically, modern homebrew titles are unlicensed games just like the original Wisdom Tree games. GB or GBC, the Wisdom Tree games are the only ones I'm aware of that were ever distributed in the US. My guess is that over time, Nintendo must have dropped the barrier of entry significantly so that smaller gaming studios could more easily, officially develop games. In fact, I think the evidence for this is simply the low amount of shovelware for the GB, shovelware showing up on the GBC and by the time the GBA comes out it's "Shovelware, glorious shovleware for everyone!"

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

It's an interesting situation.

The amount of unlicensed original games for Game Boy Color in Taiwan is huge. For people into unlicensed games, I'd recommend Famicom / NES, Sega Mega Drive / Genesis, and Game Boy Color. These three machines have tons of stuff on them. But, for the GBC, it was isolated pretty much to a single region.

Member · Posted
5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

It's an interesting situation.

The amount of unlicensed original games for Game Boy Color in Taiwan is huge. For people into unlicensed games, I'd recommend Famicom / NES, Sega Mega Drive / Genesis, and Game Boy Color. These three machines have tons of stuff on them. But, for the GBC, it was isolated pretty much to a single region.

Are there any really good ones? Like, one or two that are practically blockbuster quality that were original works?

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

For GBC or across all three of those machines? Either way, the answer is yes.

Oh, that's cool. Color me interested. Any chance you could list some of the better ones?

I might be interested in hunting some of these down at some point.