IGNORED

Game Debate #26: Call of Duty - Modern Warfare (2007)

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your absolute favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of your favorite releases that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Final Fantasy VII
    • Wii Sports
    • The Binding of Isaac
    • Halo
    • Diablo
    • Animal Crossing
    • Star Fox 64

6/10. I played it a few years after release and found it kind of generic. Tough to say if that's because other games had already implemented and improved all its advances or if the game just really isn't that good. I did spend a few hours getting the achievement for the airplane level speedrun which was quite a challenge. If the whole game was just fun little challenges like that, I think I would have actually enjoyed it more. Needless to day, I couldn't care less about the remaster that came out recently.

9/10 for me. Kind of at the tail end of when I was interested in FPS games and new games were still fresh and exciting. I was pretty heavily into FPS from around Unreal Tournament through COD4, and after 2007 (COD4, Crysis, Bioshock, Portal)things started seeming more samey and less revolutionary every year.

It's not strictly better than modern FPSs, like I'm not playing COD4 multiplayer over COD:MW, but it made a bigger impact at the time.

• Like 3

8/10

There are a lot of games I like more then it, but I did enjoy it a lot when it came out. It is by far one of the most groundbreaking FPS games out there. It's essentially the blue print for most FPS games that came after it. There's a reason why the Modern Warfare franchise is one of the top FPS franchises out there.

I went back and forth between 8 and 9, but ultimately decided on 8 because, besides theres plenty of other games I like besides it in general... there are a lot of games in 2007 I like more. 2007 was a pretty damn solid year for game releases;

God of War 2
Uncharted
The Witcher
Super Paper Mario (I nominate this game @Reed Rothchild lol)
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Halo 3
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Portal & Team Fortress 2 (hell yea Orange Box)
Bioshock
Mass Effect

The list goes on, there were some heavy hitters. The fact the original Modern Warfare still stands out is to it's merit.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I keep going back and forth on the description for a 10.  Basically, it should be one of a select few for you.

Played through 300 games?  Maybe you should have ten 10s

Played through 1000?  You should have more

Honestly the number of games I'd give perfect 10s is less then 10. My top 5 rounds out with 9/10 (like Skyrim) so it's a pretty lofty goal lol. And I have definitely have played over 300 games lol

25 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've played easily over 2000 games. How many 10s do I get to hand out? Around 70?

the number is multiplied by 2 to the 3rd power divided by 1000, but you have to consider how many hours per game, minus days from work, adding your birth year divided by your mothers age...

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

It's not DOOM or Wolfenstein but it was the pinnacle of realistic shooters when it was released.  At the time, Call of Duty had always been strictly a WWII setting.  And it was pretty damn good.  But by the time CoD 3 came out, I was sick and fucking tired of shitty early/mid 20th century weaponry.  

Enter Modern Warfare.  It was exactly what I asked for.  Finally, some good fucking weapons with tight controls on a modern HD console.  Holy shit. 

Then the franchise went back to to WWII with World at War.  Seriously?  Except it was better than all other CoDs up until that point because it had the motherfucking flamethrower.  

Anyways, Modern Warfare is an 8 and World at War is a 9.  Modern Warfare 2 was the last game of the franchise that I played.

• Like 2

The fresh modern setting and fantastic multiplayer made this the gold star standard for a long time.  Only bad thing was the 'nade spam.

I think Black Ops was prob my fav though.  Seemed like you had the best mix of weapons, tons of customization, and of course zombies.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, fox said:

The fresh modern setting and fantastic multiplayer made this the gold star standard for a long time.  Only bad thing was the 'nade spam.

I think Black Ops was prob my fav though.  Seemed like you had the best mix of weapons, tons of customization, and of course zombies.

The nade spam on the WaW campaign was ridiculous.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, fox said:

BO was great too. I think that was the last CoD that I really enjoyed. I hated MW2 for the introduction of the nuke. It made the game an even bigger camp fest. 

6 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

BO was great too. I think that was the last CoD that I really enjoyed. I hated MW2 for the introduction of the nuke. It made the game an even bigger camp fest. 

MW2 tried to add this weird verticality to the maps that just didn’t vibe.  You get killed out of nowhere and watch the kill cam and some camper 3 blocks away is hanging upside down out of a tiny hole in the wall on the 5th story.

Yeah and too many BS killstreaks.  BO dialed those way back.

• Like 1