IGNORED

Do you think it’s possible to successfully RE-launch a game?

phart010

Is it possible to re-launch an title after it’s already been released?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible to re-launch an title after it’s already been released?

• Yes
    • No

Let’s say there’s a hypothetical Switch game that came out early on when the Switch user base was less than 10 million. The game was genuinely great but unfortunately it didn’t sell well when it launched and just never got much attention. Maybe it was launched too close to another major release. 

Now that the Switch user base is 68 million (as of 11/2020), do you think it’s possible to convert millions of advertising and promotional dollars into a successful re-launching campaign for a game that has already been out for several years? 

Edited by phart010

Isn’t that what the switch did with like 90% of the Wii U library?

I think Nintendo would have like to get a couple more years out of the Wii U but had to cut it short since no one wanted it and released the switch before they initially wanted to.

Also, if I’m not mistaken even on the NES there’s been some rereleases. Mega Man 1 for example was rereleased long after the initial print run. It’s the one with the oval seal of quality.

I think a good way to rerelease games these days is by calling it a HD Remaster.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

It'd be almost certainly unfruitful. At the least, with regard to spending ad dollars, it'd be a complete waste of money.

There are other methods, such as releasing DLC, which would be FAR more successful in reviving a dead game, and this has been done in the past.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Isn’t that what the switch did with like 90% of the Wii U library?

I think Nintendo would have like to get a couple more years out of the Wii U but had to cut it short since no one wanted it and released the switch before they initially wanted to.

Also, if I’m not mistaken even on the NES there’s been some rereleases. Mega Man 1 for example was rereleased long after the initial print run. It’s the one with the oval seal of quality.

I think a good way to rerelease games these days is by calling it a HD Remaster.

What I mean is for a game that has already launched on Switch. Giving it a re-launch to try to bring it back into relevance 

I agree with Gloves.  I mean, you can just re-release it and do whatever it is that businesses do to get their games on the GameStop, Wal-Mart & Target shelves.  Bonus, add some additional DLC like Glove says, and include a DLC code with the new physical release.

Sure, I think it can be done.  This type of thing has happened a lot over the years and is exactly why Player's Choice/Greatest Hits types of releases exist.  Can it happen on the Switch? Sure, but you might have to include something small to get peoples attention, or you have to pair it with a reduction in price (e.g. $39.99 rather than a launch price of $49.99)

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

It's doable, at that level, even down to homebrew.  Around 20 years ago one of the best homebrew on the handheld scene that was made was Jetpak DX for the Gameboy Color.  It was free, people who had those earlier kits (me too) enjoyed it, it was a real treasure.  The developer recently resurfaced this year and is re-releasing it, a light update to a few aspects but more or less is what it is, and this time it has a physical and digital release: https://pocketpixel.design/preorder-super-jetpak-dx.html