IGNORED

5 screw Mike Tyson Punch Out w/fami adapter

Nesplay

If this turns out to be legit, it certainly would be an incredible find. Haha like hybrid said this unicorn is of legendary tale. Interesting it has the “nes” on the chips as well on a famicom board. I’m under the impression the famicom punchouts should have hvc on the chips. Maybe someone can also decode the date on the chips as well ? 
Definitely excited to see this !! 

** Bootgod shows NES on the famicom roms as well. Dang Nesplay might just be the find of year !!

Edited by jxmx3
update

So this the 2nd one?  I still can't understand how this exists since 1) the famicom adapter black box games were only made in late 85 (even the CIC chip on this adapter is 48th week of 85) and also the 5 screw shell doesn't fit in the game as the middle screw holder is blocked by the pcb.  

Also call me crazy but that back label looks 'sus'.

PS don't the first print Mike Tysons Punch Out not have the PT code on the label?  Mine doesnt.

Edited by guitarzombie

2 hours ago, jxmx3 said:

Maybe someone can also decode the date on the chips as well ? 

702 = 10/13/1987... I think
7N̄9 = 11/10/1987... I think

These are the weird date codes that I'm not entirely sure on the encoding, but I think it's roughly YMD.

Y is the last digit of the year
M is the month where 1-9 are Jan-Sep, O is Oct, N is Nov, and D is Dec
D is the day but encoded weirdly (I'm not confident with if I'm exactly right). Take the digit D and add one to get the ones digit for the date. The tens digit is 0 if there's a bar over the month, 1 if there's no bar, or 2 if there's a bar under then month. If D is 9 the tens digit is incremented, so 9 with a bar under the month would be 30. I have no clue how 31 would be encoded.

I checked this with bootgod and they mostly match up with their conversion, but I found some chips for 1988 that are a bit off (only the day is wrong, the month and year are accurate).

29 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

702 = 10/13/1987... I think
7N̄9 = 11/10/1987... I think

These are the weird date codes that I'm not entirely sure on the encoding, but I think it's roughly YMD.

Y is the last digit of the year
M is the month where 1-9 are Jan-Sep, O is Oct, N is Nov, and D is Dec
D is the day but encoded weirdly (I'm not confident with if I'm exactly right). Take the digit D and add one to get the ones digit for the date. The tens digit is 0 if there's a bar over the month, 1 if there's no bar, or 2 if there's a bar under then month. If D is 9 the tens digit is incremented, so 9 with a bar under the month would be 30. I have no clue how 31 would be encoded.

I checked this with bootgod and they mostly match up with their conversion, but I found some chips for 1988 that are a bit off (only the day is wrong, the month and year are accurate).

So does this make the chips period correct for this variant? 

10 minutes ago, Nesplay said:

So does this make the chips period correct for this variant? 

It's definitely an early release as the launch date appears to be 10/18/1987 in NA and 11/21/1987 in JP. But, for all I know someone could have taken an first print Japanese board, stuck it in an adaptor, and put that in a five screw MTPO shell. The strange part is the lookout chip in the adaptor is definitely from October 1985 which is 2 years earlier.

4 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

It's definitely an early release as the launch date appears to be 10/18/1987 in NA and 11/21/1987 in JP. But, for all I know someone could have taken an first print Japanese board, stuck it in an adaptor, and put that in a five screw MTPO shell. The strange part is the lookout chip in the adaptor is definitely from October 1985 which is 2 years earlier.

They were only manufactured then.  But look at the front label, if its a first print it shouldn't have the PT code, and also the back label looks fake to me.  And like I said, when its put together, that middle screw is blocked by the Tyson PCB.  Im pretty sure on EVERY NES game with a converter, there is a hole in the japanese PCB to accomodate for that.

I know every copy of Stack up has it so heres what it looks like

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/imagegen.php?ImageID=13224&width=600

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Like 1

Heres also a Duck Hunt famicom board with the screw hole already in the middle.  I dunno why its there, I dont think any of the famicom carts have a screw that fits that hole, but it seems like the adapter/nes shell was designed with this in mind

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=1642

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

The famicom version was released before the US version correct?  Was there a later print run of the famicom games, meaning they were printed after 11/87 or early 88?

The gold one that had Super Macho Man as the last fighter came out first, and then the MTPO that was pretty much the same as we got came later. Not sure of the exact print dates, but both are copyrighted 1987.

edit: According to Wikipedia, the gold was given as a prize for a game tourney in Japan in September 1987, and was also released through a lottery there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-Out!!_(NES)

• Gold Version:
    • JP: September 18, 1987
  • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!:
    • NA: October 18, 1987
    • JP: November 21, 1987

Holy_Grails32.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Tulpa

5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The gold one that had Super Macho Man as the last fighter came out first, and then the MTPO that was pretty much the same as we got came later. Not sure of the exact print dates, but both are copyrighted 1987.

edit: According to Wikipedia, the gold was given as a prize for a game tourney in Japan in September 1987, and was also released through a lottery there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-Out!!_(NES)

• Gold Version:
    • JP: September 18, 1987
  • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!:
    • NA: October 18, 1987
    • JP: November 21, 1987

Holy_Grails32.jpg

s-l300.jpg

I personally don't think that Oct 87 US date is right.  First print/5 screw chip dates are usually late Nov 87.  Im pretty sure mine is.  I always thought it was a Dec 87 release, which also falls in line with why that and Mega man are so rare as 5 screws because they were the last games to make that late 87 cut off

Do you think it's possible they had leftover Fami adapters and in the rush to get this to the US market used the Famicom boards for a short run before they geared up the NES boards? Just spitballin' here.

I'm just wondering why bother faking a Fami adapter MTPO when the 5 screw alone is worth some considerable dosh, unless they're really, really trying to hype up a unicorn.

I dunno.  Maybe?  Why is it we have never seen one aside from this and the other MTPO?  Never another similar Fami/NES release?  Even in late 85, IIRC the adapters were only found in certain Black Box games and not all of them.  Hogans Alley, Duck Hunt, Gyromite, Pinball, and Stack Up I think are the only ones that had it.  Maybe one or two more?  Mach Rider?

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I personally don't think that Oct 87 US date is right.  First print/5 screw chip dates are usually late Nov 87.  Im pretty sure mine is.  I always thought it was a Dec 87 release, which also falls in line with why that and Mega man are so rare as 5 screws because they were the last games to make that late 87 cut off

Yeah, the wikipedia release dates need to be taken with a grain of salt. There are many cases where they are not accurate.

I'm wondering what the gold version's board looks like, if it's identical to the Famicom MTPO board.

My theory is they printed a short run of the golds, then got the Tyson license, printed the MTPO Famicom version on the same boards, threw a small number of those into the Fami adaptor and stuffed them into an NES cart for North America (and the rush job is why the screw hole is missing) and then made proper NES boards for a wider release.

I dunno, I have no dog in this fight, I just find it fascinating.

Edited by Tulpa

2 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I'm wondering what the gold version's board looks like, if it's identical to the Famicom MTPO board.

My theory is they printed a short run of the golds, then got the Tyson license, printed the MTPO Famicom version on the same boards, threw a small number of those into the Fami adaptor and stuffed into an NES cart for North America (and the rush job is why the screw hole is missing) and then made proper NES boards for a wider release.

I dunno, I have no dog in this fight, I just find it fascinating.

I imagine the gold version's board would be a bit different. There seem to be many differences in the game, so at the very least the ROM chips would be different.

Actually, I was able to find a gold cart PCB picture. It does look mostly the same, but the PRG chip has a different code (HVC-PT-S-0 instead of NES-PT-0 that is seen on the two bootgod JP carts). The datecodes show that the ROM chips were created mid September (9/17/1987 or so).

12 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I wasn't as interested in the chip as the boards themselves, and whether the production kept going on them.

They are very similar, but it looks like they are slightly changed. The gold cart has a HVC-PEEOROM-01 PCB while the standard JP boards on boot god have a HVC-PEEOROM-02.

EDIT: and I should add the board in the OP is also a -02

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE