IGNORED

Music Debate #92: Elton John

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

Editorials Team · Posted
31 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

no talent ass clown... IMO.

I can’t say 0 because he helped Eminem get and stay sober. If that’s even true. 

I think I secretly do these threads just so we can get a glimpse into people's psyches 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My dad got my brother a CD of his hits when we were kids.  This was the mid-90s, maybe? We didn't have a lot of CDs at the time, so we listened to it a fair amount, even though I couldn't really get into it.

But, as I got older and actually started listening to music, his music has grown on me considerably.  He's not a favorite artist but yes, his pre-Disney stuff is most definitely classic and really good.  He's also an artist who found that balance of making rather diverse music that also completely sounded like him.  I'm not sure that makes sense, but he's not an artist where every song sounds the same, but he's also not like other artists who's every other album sounds different.  He's capable of making unique music with a specific mode for any given story he's trying to tell and the emotions in his music is considerably diverse while always sounding 100% like "Elton".

And, I don't find the "Disney" stuff to be bad.  I think he only did The Lion King, but whomever used that term, I understand.  He kind of took a modern-pop sound which I assume is largely a ramp up in production and it's started to move in the direction of all sounding "samey".  Sameness can be ok, but it's not great.

Overall, I gave him an 8 of 10.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

8/10. That queen/Elton John/Axl Rose rendition of bohemian rhapsody was awesome

Wait, what?!  How have I missed this!  I need to google that one and give it a listen.  It sounds amazing, for sure!

EDIT

That actually raises a good question, @Reed Rothchild, have we rated Guns & Roses?  I don't remember it. If so, I assume it was on NA?

Edited by RH

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, RH said:

Wait, what?!  How have I missed this!  I need to google that one and give it a listen.  It sounds amazing, for sure!

EDIT

That actually raises a good question, @Reed Rothchild, have we rated Guns & Roses?  I don't remember it. If so, I assume it was on NA?

Every artist is in the master thread.  Not that I've updated in a month or three.

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Guns N Roses - 10/10

I'd seriously have to debate this, but it's between a 9 or a 10 for me as well.  Not my favorite band as I'm not a metal head 90% of the time but my gosh, that was a band that's only flaw might have been that it had to much talent.  Yes... I think that was it's only flaw.

Easy 10/10 for me, one of the greats. 

I used to listen to Elton quite a bit back when I was taking piano lessons. Although I had learnt to play the classics, such as Chopin and Beethoven, I also practiced and learnt to play Elton as well as Billy Joel, two of the greats imo for this sort of music.

I didn't listen to Elton for about twenty years, but last year my mother sent me his autobiography for Christmas and I read it, loved it, and for about the past two months have been listening to Elton again, non-stop.

Although my musical tastes have changed somewhat over the past twenty years, I still love his music, and some of my favourite songs of his have also changed over time.

His music for the film / theatre stuff is also amazing.

That puts Elton at 10/10 for me, there's so much talent to digest with this guy.

• Like 1

Some songs I really like that haven't been listed:

Madman across the Water 

This is the superior version of the song, never was a huge fan during my first affair with Elton, but it's one of my top favourites the second time through.

Rotten Peaches

Love this one too.

Indian Sunset

Don't Let the Sun Go down on me

Greatest Discovery

Someone saved my life tonight

Bitch is Back

The list is endless for me.

Funeral for a friend / love lies bleeding is another one I really like, which is imo quite overlooked. 

• Like 2