IGNORED

Prestige Collections

I've looked through many of these threads as well as auctions to see if these "Prestige collections" had any "key" games in them. These massive collections are cited to discredit the rarity of sealed vintage games. I've found that these collections primarily contain many games that went unsold with a few exceptions here and there but just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Does anyone know if these prestigious collections included cases of NES sealed Mario (any release), Zelda, or other popular games that were mostly bought, torn open, and played rather than saved in a factory sealed state, or are these Prestige collections made up of what I found- which is mostly games that didn't come close to breaking 1 million units in sales?

2 minutes ago, bowser said:

Maybe he's talking about the Pedigree Collections like the Caroline Collection, Hawaii Collection, etc.

Do they have sealed boxed of NES games? I don't think most collectors have ever cared enough to focus on that sort of thing until the last like tear or two or whatever...

17 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Do they have sealed boxed of NES games? I don't think most collectors have ever cared enough to focus on that sort of thing until the last like tear or two or whatever...

Probably because most collectors aren't nearly rich enough to collect new sealed NES games. 😞  Just cartridge only is bad enough!!!

20 minutes ago, OptOut said:

You mean if you were rich you would buy sealed NES games? I've never had the urge, to be honest...

No I mean only rich collectors can do sealed NES games (at least trying to get anywhere close to a full set, or even 1/2 or 1/4 a set really...).  I personally would focus most on making nice early 70s/60s baseball card sets if I ever got a chance like that.

• Like 1

Look if you are asking about the current crazy sold WATA prices then yes the old school hard core collectors of NintendoAge past have plenty of higher grades of sought after titles.  If those were to ever come out it would decrease the known number of copies and prices will decrease.  Just one example is Tim Atwood's collection where he is known, verified, to have cases of sealed mint NES games including Stadium Events.  This is just one top tier collection I can think of like this.  There are about a dozen others I am sure.  Maybe not quite to the level of Tim's, but up there for sure.

Also a lot of people have the cream of the crop games VGA slabbed and VGA is known to be stricter than WATA with their grading.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

Ok I will bite as this seems like click bait BUT there are plenty of key games, not just Stadium Events.  Are you planning on cornering the market or something?

I'm deciding on whether or not its a good time to sell. A long time ago before sealed games cost a fortune, I picked up a bunch of "key" games across NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and PS1. I've been tracking auctions for over a decade between eBay and Heritage. The infrequency some of these games come up for sale, for example- Red Label Mario Kart 64,  leads me to believe that few sealed versions exist. The selling prices of some of these "key" games enforces that theory. We are living in uncertain economic times right now with this pandemic. I was expecting a lot more of these sealed key games hitting the market than we've seen over the last 10 months, which leads me to believe there are in fact zero collections that have cases upon cases of factory sealed Contra.

38 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

I'm deciding on whether or not its a good time to sell. A long time ago before sealed games cost a fortune, I picked up a bunch of "key" games across NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and PS1

Good time to sell? It's the best time there's ever been.

If it's the best time to sell? The only way to find out is to sit on it for another 10 years and find out. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

I'm deciding on whether or not its a good time to sell. A long time ago before sealed games cost a fortune, I picked up a bunch of "key" games across NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and PS1. I've been tracking auctions for over a decade between eBay and Heritage. The infrequency some of these games come up for sale, for example- Red Label Mario Kart 64,  leads me to believe that few sealed versions exist. The selling prices of some of these "key" games enforces that theory. We are living in uncertain economic times right now with this pandemic. I was expecting a lot more of these sealed key games hitting the market than we've seen over the last 10 months, which leads me to believe there are in fact zero collections that have cases upon cases of factory sealed Contra.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  I know lots of collectors that are sitting on a lot of high value items.  Maybe not cases and case of Contra.  If your talking about people with multiple cases of sealed games maybe you are right although I bet there are one ore two collectors sitting on stuff like that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Good time to sell? It's the best time there's ever been.

If it's the best time to sell? The only way to find out is to sit on it for another 10 years and find out. 

I agree 100%  The fire has never been hotter for selling.  Except maybe waiting till tax season a few months away.  Sell, sell sell...

• Like 1

The best time is right now. However, new collectors are entering this hobby at an unprecedented rate. I don't expect the achieved prices we are seeing right now (84k for a white label mario) to plummet anytime soon. I expect them to keep rising, as do many others. Short print sports cards and high grade comic books (both of which have pop reports readily available) command high dollars. Some of these key sealed games are likely even scarcer, but we won't know until we see a pop report.

26 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

But I do think quite a few people have the inside scoop on an idea of what the populations are for some of these games, and thats why we are seeing some of these prices.

Like the "Left Bros" Super Mario 3 that just sold for $156k or the 2nd print PS2 God of War that sold for $3k, or yet the Atari 2600 Spiderman that sold for a record $9k? I think your above statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Long-time collectors do have an idea of what's out there, what's common, what's not and what's desirable. New collectors entering the hobby have no clue what they're doing and are propping up the market to unprecedented highs. Of all the records broken since the last 2 years, only a handful of games are truly rare, and merit their record prices. The sticker sealed Super Mario that went for $100k, and the Dr. Wright Mega Man that went for ~$84k, come to mind. 

Like someone else said, the true grail pieces are locked up, mostly in VGA cases, and long-time collectors are not selling. Mostly because they're collectors first, and not investors or speculators. 

If you're looking to sell, you should do it sooner than later, before prices start to correct after speculators start to realize how much of this stuff is out there. I do think prices will continue to rise in the short term, but the long term future isn't up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1