IGNORED

Which system had the best video game boxes?

Which system had the best video game boxes?   

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which system had the best video game boxes?

• NES
    • Sega Master System
    • Turbografx-16
    • SNES
    • Neo-Geo
    • Sega Saturn
    • PS1
    • N64
    • Dreamcast
    • PS2
    • GameCube
    • Xbox
    • PS3
    • Wii
    • Wii U
    • Switch
    • PS4
    • Xbox One
    • Genesis
    • GameBoy
    • DS
    • Virtua Boy
    • PSP
    • Vita
    • Atari
    • 3DO

This poll is closed to new votes

13 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

For me, the problem with N64 boxes isn't the artwork, but the general template of the boxes.  I've never been a fan of the spines of the boxes, especially the green on most of the boxes.  I just never cared for it.  

Agreed. SNES boxes are way better than N64 boxes.

• Like 1

NES.  The artwork on those boxes always seem like an event.  The box art was an integral part of the experience whether it was good or bad.  How many games did You buy because of the cool box art?

Pre PS2 disc based systems are out because everyone pretty much was all using the same packaging (long boxes & jewel cases).  PS2 and later is so cross platform that the art for the games can’t be considered unique to a system.  And also more or less all the same dvd style cases.  

I think Genesis is a solid contender.  Unique cases.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

In terms of cuteness it is hard to top these Hudson gameboy tins from Japan:

gie909gevui11.thumb.jpg.089412097cc8cf4dead71a3c51436f58.jpg

They only made 9 of them - these pic isn't of mine but I do have a full set.

Circle gets the Square.  This is my refined answer.  I've wanted to get all of these, but unfortunately, I only own Game Boy Wars.

I always liked the blue Sega CD cases and Saturn cases, just the plastic is too damn brittle.  I voted for Vita since it is a nice, small unique case.  I'm also partial to Wii U and Switch.  I guess I just like a uniform color and style for a console set.

I do like the simplicity and uniformity of PS1 and Dreamcast but Dreamcast had to go and have like half the library white spines and half black.  Why

3DS is great too but having the later games with the red Nintendo logo on the spine really makes those titles stick out.  Kind of like the later variations on PSP/PS3 spines.  Yuck.  I do like the small pic for each title on the 3DS spines though 

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RH said:

Circle gets the Square.  This is my refined answer.  I've wanted to get all of these, but unfortunately, I only own Game Boy Wars.

I bought mine one at a time (the Gameboy Wars was the first) about 5 years ago off ebay - at that time they were uncommon but not rare and I don't think I paid more than $25 (excluding shipping) for any of them.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Once they got to me  intact I never have had one break - I am not super careful with them but I don't toss them around either.

Same here.  Getting them secondhand is another story, however. Especially if shipping is involved.  When it comes to hunting for those longbox games, may the odds be in your favor 

• Like 1

Just now, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Same here.  Getting them secondhand is another story, however. Especially if shipping is involved.  When it comes to hunting for those longbox games, may the odds be in your favor 

Fortunately I have all of the Saturn and Sega CD games I wanted (with the exception of the #7 Lunar Silver Star Story - but I got two of those via screaming buy it nows on ebay) since I bought them either new or at used game stores when those platforms were still going concerns)  - and I always picked  crappy games up at the thrift stores simply for intact cases - I have somewhere between 10 and 20 spares.   I was going to get some of the cases from LRG until I saw the shipping prices.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Fortunately I have all of the Saturn and Sega CD games I wanted (with the exception of the #7 Lunar Silver Star Story - but I got two of those via screaming buy it nows on ebay) since I bought them either new or at used game stores when those platforms were still going concerns)  - and I always picked  crappy games up at the thrift stores simply for intact cases - I have somewhere between 10 and 20 spares.   I was going to get some of the cases from LRG until I saw the shipping prices.

Almost all of the football and baseball titles I own are for Sega CD/Saturn for the same reason!  haha.  I'm still missing a few I want for both systems but am always in the hunt

5 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Almost all of the football and baseball titles I own are for Sega CD/Saturn for the same reason!  haha.  I'm still missing a few I want for both systems but am always in the hunt

I have one pretty unique piece I got at a thrift store - it is the plastic case version of Rise of the Dragon - it is a regular case except the manual while it has the regular cover is blank on the inside pages.  It has a cd but not a game one.  It is either a manufacturing mistake and someone took the game out for some reason or (as I suspect) it was a store display piece of some sort.  I have never seen another like it (either that game or another) - in any event it is certainly an odd piece.