IGNORED

Which system had the best video game boxes?

Which system had the best video game boxes?   

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which system had the best video game boxes?

• NES
    • Sega Master System
    • Turbografx-16
    • SNES
    • Neo-Geo
    • Sega Saturn
    • PS1
    • N64
    • Dreamcast
    • PS2
    • GameCube
    • Xbox
    • PS3
    • Wii
    • Wii U
    • Switch
    • PS4
    • Xbox One
    • Genesis
    • GameBoy
    • DS
    • Virtua Boy
    • PSP
    • Vita
    • Atari
    • 3DO

This poll is closed to new votes

Video games come in special boxes/cases that make them look unique!  For example NES games came in 7x5 inch cardboard boxes while SMS games were in plastic cases typically with a white checkered background. Of course there were some variations, but I'm talking about the typical game.

Arguably some boxes/cases are more artistic and pleasing to the eye! By "best" I simply mean the one you (for whatever reason) like the most. So, which is your favorite?

I've listed 19 systems, starting with the NES (sorry Atari fans) and included most of the popular systems but skipping many of the less popular systems such as CD-i ---- that said, if someone really wants me to add a system (such as CD-i) to the list I can certainly do so. I figure the vast majority of people will choose from one of the 19 systems on this list. Also note that I am NOT including any handheld systems, and I did not include any add-ons such as the 32X etc.

Edited by avatar!
  • Angry 1

Best to me would be that it's functional above how it looks and GB, NES, SNES, N64 is none of that. Everything else does the trick altough with Genesis the paperwork has no natural position while laying inside so that detracts points. PS1 has the disc somewhat attached losely so that's a minus.

But yeah everything that is durable is better than whatever isn't yet looks good. Internally among those, wich the best one is i don't really know. The biggest garbage ought to be the toiletpaper-wrapped N64 games god damn is it shitty!

• Like 1

I'm shocked you people like SNES, unless you're really into uniformity, in which case pretty much all PS2 onward systems have that down pat.  I also like portrait way better than landscape, and I would rather see the artwork for a game cover the whole box rather than a smaller percentage of it, as with the SNES.

Anyway, I voted NES, but I am super biased as it's my favourite system, and I would have easily voted Famicom or Super Famicom if foreign consoles had been listed, as Japanese art blows American art out of the water 98 times out of 100...

• Like 2

NES for me, but I can't say its not nostalgia based to an extent. Thats what was on shelves at the rental stores in the 90s. But the horizontal rectangular based n64 and snes games have plenty of nostalgia and the shape bothered me even back then. Disk based boxes are less cool than cart based. Its an easy call

• Like 1

I'm split between the NES and SNES.  They both had their share of pure excellence, mediocrity, and some head scratching awfulness to downright turds.  It was like peak game art period in the mid later 80s into the mid later 90s before stuff started getting weirdly generic, CGI, cookie cutter and just meh more often than not.

Like doner, probably would throw it to Gameboy had that been a choice.  The variety there was stunning, having those smaller boxes they really had to sell it on the front art.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm split between the NES and SNES.  They both had their share of pure excellence, mediocrity, and some head scratching awfulness to downright turds.  It was like peak game art period in the mid later 80s into the mid later 90s before stuff started getting weirdly generic, CGI, cookie cutter and just meh more often than not.

Like doner, probably would throw it to Gameboy had that been a choice.  The variety there was stunning, having those smaller boxes they really had to sell it on the front art.

Okay, added 5 handheld systems!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Agreed. The artwork on the Gameboy really went to the level the Japanese put into their boxes at the time.

I've now voted for Gameboy because the handhelds are in. Great artwork, the boxes are a nice size for collecting purposes and the cardboard was pretty durable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, doner24 said:

Super Nintendo for sure, but I might’ve voted for Gameboy if it was an option. N64 by far in last. 

Gameboy is now an option 🙂

By the way, I'm not sure how one can like SNES boxes and not N64? To me at least, N64 boxes are just slightly bigger SNES boxes.

What best means is obviously subjective - but physical appearance is a big consideration for me.*

I went with Saturn - but actually favor the  Sega CD - that (mostly standard - damn that pesky Snatcher) set of blue spines certainly looks handsome lined up on a shelf.  And the size of the case means the manuals were of a big enough size that there was a great opportunity (not always realized) for some impressive artwork.  Not the biggest (the laseractive formats probably win there) but significantly bigger than most.

(Not to nitpick but IMHO that choice should more properly be labeled as Sega CD/Saturn (we can ignore the PS1 releases since there were so few.)

*I tend to not like cardboard cases as a matter of course - pulling the games in and out ensures some damage. I hated those cheesy cardboard Genesis cases - really flimsy and a travesty compared to the hardshell ones.  The red format was attractive though.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 3

Moderator · Posted
6 hours ago, avatar! said:

Gameboy is now an option 🙂

By the way, I'm not sure how one can like SNES boxes and not N64? To me at least, N64 boxes are just slightly bigger SNES boxes.

Flimsy with much worse box art for the N64. Plus the built in cartridge holder in many of the boxes is a disaster. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, avatar! said:

I'm not sure how one can like SNES boxes and not N64

For me, the problem with N64 boxes isn't the artwork, but the general template of the boxes.  I've never been a fan of the spines of the boxes, especially the green on most of the boxes.  I just never cared for it.  

• Like 2