IGNORED

Poll: Wil George RR Martin ever finish Song of Ice and Fire?

Wil George RR Martin ever finish Song of Ice and Fire?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Wil George RR Martin ever finish Song of Ice and Fire?

• Yes
    • No
    • LOL... sure, and I have a bridge to sell you!

This poll is closed to new votes

George is 72 and definitely not immortal. His last few books each took him 5-10 years to write. Assuming Winds of Winter comes out in 2021. Will he be able to wrap it up in just one last book? That is optimistic. (Brandon Sanderson ended up needing 3 books to wrap up wheel of time.) Will George still be as active and capable of writing in his 80s?

• 2 months later...

Paramount has another Star Trek movie idea in the works, since all the others have fallen apart

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/paramount-another-star-trek-movie-180400682.html

Now, Paramount is going back to the space-drawing board for a totally new Star Trek concept from Kalinda Vazquez, a writer for Star Trek: Discovery and an executive producer on Fear The Walking Dead who previously worked on Hulu’s adaptation of Runaways and is joining up with George R.R. Martin for HBO’s adaptation of Roger Zelazny’s Roadmarks. (That George R.R. Martin guy sure seems to have a lot of free time these days, huh? He must not have anything else he needs to work on.)

GRRM sure seems to be doing everything possible in his power to NOT work on GOT! Seriously, someone else will finish it once he exits this mortal coil since he's being stubborn beyond reason 😕

Edited by avatar!

At this point I think that he's scrambling to figure out WTF to do with it because supposedly he told HBO/D&D the way the story was supposed to end so they could take care of it in the event that he died, and they more or less followed his roadmap.  If that's the case, given the reaction of the general public, he's gotta stall until he can come up with a 400,000 word total rewrite of his last 2-3 books so he can end the series and not be hated like the show's producers were after everything ended.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

At this point I think that he's scrambling to figure out WTF to do with it because supposedly he told HBO/D&D the way the story was supposed to end so they could take care of it in the event that he died, and they more or less followed his roadmap.  If that's the case, given the reaction of the general public, he's gotta stall until he can come up with a 400,000 word total rewrite of his last 2-3 books so he can end the series and not be hated like the show's producers were after everything ended.

The issue w/ the show was that D&D couldn't write for shit, and fucked off. They needed another 2-3 seasons at least to really hash out the plot points, and they just didn't wanna.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The issue w/ the show was that D&D couldn't write for shit, and fucked off. They needed another 2-3 seasons at least to really hash out the plot points, and they just didn't wanna.

That's not remotely the only issue with that show, although I agree that it could have used more time to wrap things up succinctly.  I choose to believe that regardless of how rapidly the two producers at large finished it, they followed GRRM's "bible" of what was more or less supposed to happen and, since he wasn't really writing for them or really consulting on it anymore (far too many other things going on besides, you know, writing the damned books), they had to work with what they had.

Their overall skill of being master storytellers on their own isn't in question, but the amount of material that they had left to work with apparently IS, as if GRRM was on-site/staff as he was supposed to be, they shouldn't have had any issues with material to fill out another 2-3 seasons, if not more.  It's as much the old man's fault as theirs at this point, as far as I'm concerned, as nobody complained about those two so long as they had books to follow along with.  It wasn't until they ran past the written page and got left on their own that things got rocky, and while what they put out wasn't the greatest, I applaud them for having the big brass ones to keep going regardless, even If I hated the ending along with most everyone else.

GRRM needs to sit down and finish the main books first, then work on every little thing out there.  Since he's not, that indicates to me that he's either out of ideas and can't actually finish or what he's dreamed up is so bad (or has already been deemed so bad in the eyes of the fans) that he's looking to ride out every other opportunity in front of him before his name and career go down in flaming ruin.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

That's not remotely the only issue with that show, although I agree that it could have used more time to wrap things up succinctly.  I choose to believe that regardless of how rapidly the two producers at large finished it, they followed GRRM's "bible" of what was more or less supposed to happen and, since he wasn't really writing for them or really consulting on it anymore (far too many other things going on besides, you know, writing the damned books), they had to work with what they had.

Their overall skill of being master storytellers on their own isn't in question, but the amount of material that they had left to work with apparently IS, as if GRRM was on-site/staff as he was supposed to be, they shouldn't have had any issues with material to fill out another 2-3 seasons, if not more.  It's as much the old man's fault as theirs at this point, as far as I'm concerned, as nobody complained about those two so long as they had books to follow along with.  It wasn't until they ran past the written page and got left on their own that things got rocky, and while what they put out wasn't the greatest, I applaud them for having the big brass ones to keep going regardless, even If I hated the ending along with most everyone else.

GRRM needs to sit down and finish the main books first, then work on every little thing out there.  Since he's not, that indicates to me that he's either out of ideas and can't actually finish or what he's dreamed up is so bad (or has already been deemed so bad in the eyes of the fans) that he's looking to ride out every other opportunity in front of him before his name and career go down in flaming ruin.

You're right, I'm not giving GRRM the ire he deserves here.

We don't know the behind-the-scenes on this; maybe D&D lost the support they had which made the show a success early on (from GRRM), and decided to wrap it up. IMO though they're all 3 of them in the muck on this. So agreed there.

Honestly at this point I'm glad I never bothered to read all the books that have been printed, as I didn't enjoy his writing in the first place. I loved the show but found the book to be poor compared to other fantasy I've read, e.g. Brandon Sanderson (even with all his Mary Sues).

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Honestly at this point I'm glad I never bothered to read all the books that have been printed, as I didn't enjoy his writing in the first place. I loved the show but found the book to be poor compared to other fantasy I've read, e.g. Brandon Sanderson (even with all his Mary Sues).

I will admit I've never been a big fantasy reader. I did read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, but not too much else. However, I truly enjoyed GRRMs Song of Fire and Ice. The first three books were fabulous in my opinion. I enjoyed aspects of book 4 and 5, but as I was reading them I kept thinking "he keeps expanding the narrative and this is getting sticky"... and of course it's all subjective, but from people that have read the books and seen the show I've heard that the books are far better. That said, at least the show had a conclusion, even if it apparently was a flaming mess as many fans decry.

Edited by avatar!

• 4 weeks later...

George R.R. Martin just signed his remaining free time over to HBO

https://qz.com/1990627/george-r-r-martins-hbo-contract-is-bad-for-game-of-thrones-readers/

The show’s ending was incredibly divisive among fans; many have been patiently waiting for Martin’s novels to right what they perceive to be the HBO series’ wrongs. But that day may not come.

Martin has become  a joke. Now, some people have argued that Martin does not owe his fans anything (Neil Gaiman among them 🙄 - but I believe he does. It is the fans that made GRRM what he is. Fans have been begging for him to finish the books, and he has SAID numerous times he would. Since he apparently has no intent in finishing the books which he said so many times over the years that he would, well that makes him rather a liar does it not. Don't see why people should support him at this point.

Edited by avatar!

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Just reminding everyone that we still haven't heard a word.

That's because he still hasn't been able to come up with a better ending than the actual one he told D&D about then got roasted over due to how poorly the end of Game of Thrones went over.  As long as people keep throwing money at him to do other things, he'll keep doing those other things.

18 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Just reminding everyone that we still haven't heard a word.

Patrick Rothfuss and Scott Lynch meanwhile are trying to keep pace!

The writer of A Song of Ice and Fire's 1982 short story is coming to the big screen

https://gamerant.com/in-the-lost-lands-george-r-r-martin/

I can see it now....

Anyone: Oh hello, George, I'm sure you're super busy writing the next...

GRRM: Oh yes... uh, yes. Super busy. But for you, I can spare a minute. Or hour. Maybe a day. You know what, I'll fly over for a couple of months to work things out despite my, erm, busy, yeah, so busy writing schedule.

Anything to keep you from actually doing what you should, right, Mr. Martin

signing game of thrones GIF by SYFY