IGNORED

Poll: Wil George RR Martin ever finish Song of Ice and Fire?

Wil George RR Martin ever finish Song of Ice and Fire?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Wil George RR Martin ever finish Song of Ice and Fire?

• Yes
    • No
    • LOL... sure, and I have a bridge to sell you!

This poll is closed to new votes

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

No, I think he will die before it’s finished and Brandon Sanderson will step in.

I’m also concerned that Patrick Rothfuss will never finish another novel about Kvothe. 

They may as well just throw in the towel right now and hire Brandon lol

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

By the way, my running theory right now is that Martin liked some of the ideas from the last couple seasons of the show, and he has not been able to reconcile his own original vision with the bastard twin brother vision that the showrunners came up with.

Given his "stature" and age, he probably stands a fairly high chance of dying before he is done and needing another author to step in to finish.

Unfortunately, I doubt he has done all of the advance planning that Robert Jordan and his wife managed prior to his death, so any author left to pick up the pieces is basically going to be making up the ending themselves rather than writing the story for an already fully complete set of plotlines.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Given his "stature" and age, he probably stands a fairly high chance of dying before he is done and needing another author to step in to finish.

Unfortunately, I doubt he has done all of the advance planning that Robert Jordan and his wife managed prior to his death, so any author left to pick up the pieces is basically going to be making up the ending themselves rather than writing the story for an already fully complete set of plotlines.

He's stated that he doesn't intend to allow anyone to finish the series should he pass prior to finishing it himself.

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well sucks to be him because his wife or nephew or whoever won't be as stubborn.

Even if someone else does finish the series, there's always the question of whether it was really the artist's vision. For better or worse, it won't be the same if nothing else. Then, there's the question of whether an author "owes" his/her fans "anything"? I would argue that they do, to a certain extent. After all, it is the fans which provide the author with money.

20 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Even if someone else does finish the series, there's always the question of whether it was really the artist's vision. For better or worse, it won't be the same if nothing else. Then, there's the question of whether an author "owes" his/her fans "anything"? I would argue that they do, to a certain extent. After all, it is the fans which provide the author with money.

If you look at a similar situation with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, he had extensive outlining done for the final book but died during writing. His widow (along with TOR publishing) got accomplished author and long time time fan Brandon Sanderson to use Jordan's work to finish the series and while I'm sure not everyone was pleased, Sanderson's work was overall well received. So it can be done, but Martin has been shown to not be a very organized author so I'm not sure if another author could effectively take the helm.

Honestly at this point, who cares?

He squandered a franchise that could have rivaled the likes of Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings. This was compounded by the self-destruction that HBO did with the TV series.

Before Covid my entire family, extended family, and all of my friends were super hardcore into Game of Thrones. We went through the greatest global pandemic since the Spanish Flu of 1918. The call to action was to literally sit at home and watch TV, yet not a SINGLE PERSON I know watched a single episode of Game of Thrones.

The story is dead as far as I'm concerned.

also...

Bran could have totally warg into a dragon giving him some arguable reason why he is King of Westeros.

Daenerys was never shown pregnant, despite it being heavily foreshadowed. Also, the bells? wtf?

Arya wanted to find her family the entire series and decided to become Dora the Explorer.

The Freefolk went back past the wall, despite wanting to get on the other side of the wall for generations.

There's no purpose for the Nights Watch now that the night king is dead, so why did John Snow return to the wall that's also been torn down? To...defend against the Freefolk?

Why didn't Cersei just kill Tyrion, Daenerys, Grey Worm, Varys, her....20 or so soldiers, AND her last dragon with a literal dragon killing crossbow pointed at it that one scene when they killed Missandei and just END THE WAR!?!?!!?

Untitled-1.jpg.5c9854cd6a1aa08e42460139a5ad0a4c.jpg

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
On 11/29/2020 at 10:16 PM, doner24 said:

No, I think he will die before it’s finished and Brandon Sanderson will step in.

I’m also concerned that Patrick Rothfuss will never finish another novel about Kvothe. 

I heard he forbid that anyone else finish his work.  He would release notes to help the next author finish the book and not sure if their is legal things that can be done to prevent another author from finishing his book.  I'd be happy if he left some notes behind and let someone else finish it.  I mean, it's one of the best modern day epic fantasy tales that will be remember for decades after he dies......but only if the story is properly finish like he envisioned.  

23 hours ago, Sumez said:

The bigger question is. Will he finish Elden Ring?

He was pretty much brought in during preproduction  to write the lore/backstory for the world, so his part should be finished.  If it is anything like other From games, his stuff might not even be the main narrative and just be used for npc sidequests and item descriptions.

I think the global pandemic and maybe the switch to next gen hardware is the real reason why things have been quiet with Elden Ring.

My concern is that he may alter the intended endings based on the overwhelming negative feedback from the finale of the series.

I'm definitely in the minority here when I say I thought the way they wrapped it up made sense and wasn't as atrocious as everyone makes it out to be. Any issues it had were ones that it frankly always had, and imo wouldn't consider any part of the TV series to be the masterpiece so many people thought it was at one point or another.

9 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I heard he forbid that anyone else finish his work.  He would release notes to help the next author finish the book and not sure if their is legal things that can be done to prevent another author from finishing his book.  I'd be happy if he left some notes behind and let someone else finish it.  I mean, it's one of the best modern day epic fantasy tales that will be remember for decades after he dies......but only if the story is properly finish like he envisioned.  

After he's dead, it's a matter of what the estate wants to do.  Typically, the estate tries to honor the wishes of the deceased, since for creative stuff there can be a big backlash for going against what the IP creator wanted.  But I think in this case, his good-will with fans was exhausted a long time ago and people would rather have well written closure than have to settle for how the TV series ended.

4 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

My concern is that he may alter the intended endings based on the overwhelming negative feedback from the finale of the series.

I'm definitely in the minority here when I say I thought the way they wrapped it up made sense and wasn't as atrocious as everyone makes it out to be. Any issues it had were ones that it frankly always had, and imo wouldn't consider any part of the TV series to be the masterpiece so many people thought it was at one point or another.

After all of the negativity, I was never interested in putting in the time to watch the final season...

BUT - I could imagine that in writing, rather than on screen, he could probably explore their inner monologue a bit better to make it work.

Read them all up to Dance With Dragons back around when it came out.  Never watched the TV show.  Been waiting a long time for the next book.  I don’t think I’d really be very interested even if he did put out the next book because it’s been so long I’d have to probably start over from the beginning and that’s a friggin long read.  

Social Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

After all of the negativity, I was never interested in putting in the time to watch the final season...

BUT - I could imagine that in writing, rather than on screen, he could probably explore their inner monologue a bit better to make it work.

Honestly the ending would OK I think but the fact that so many other characters didn't get flushed out leaves you upset.  The richness in the small details/interactions between characters is what I love about the book series.  But I agree, who becomes the king makes senses.  And that is what a lot of fans of the show were pissed off about.  Been a while since I watched that last season so can't remember all of the other things I had questions about.  Arya Stark is my favorite and I can't wait to read how her story ends and what happens with her dire wolf.  

Editorials Team · Posted
7 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I also thought final season wasn't atrocious.

Then again, I consider the books to be official canon, so I wasn't as heavily invested either.