IGNORED

Gaming Stockholm Syndrome

Gloves

Just now, G-type said:

I think the aesthetic is definitely a part of it. I really liked the look of those Macintosh games... even the DOS ports of them. Dark Castle in particular has a lot of personality. I love how the prisoners shake their heads no when you walk under the booby-trapped key.

It really looks like a game that is itching for a remake with functional play-control 😛

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:38 PM, Tulpa said:

I started with Atari 2600. Hooo Boy!

The 2600 port of Donkey Kong was garbage (you think the NES version is flawed for missing the cement factory? Try a version that has no spring level as well, and watered down versions of the two levels it does have.) Still played it a lot.

You should try the romhack that adds those levels back in. The sequence goes: ramps, rivets, elevators, and conveyors, and then repeats.

Edited by G-type

41 minutes ago, G-type said:

I have a fondness for Dark Castle, even though the game was absolutely brutal and impossible to control.

I've heard this game was originally on the Mac and you're meant to aim with the mouse. So it's slightly better on computers. Game probably still sucks really bad though.

• Like 1

31-in-1 multi-cart

There were a ton of these around when I was growing up for some reason and used to play them a lot back in early 90s. I think the fact that you had 31 games it kept you busy for a while even if you only played them each for a few minutes. DK 1&2, Kung Fu, Circus Charlie, Mappy, (a lot of black box games essentially) etc. etc. Plus a lot of games were score based so it kept ya coming back for more even if you didn't really like the game.  Definitely played those carts more than we should have. 

• Like 2

A bunch of Wisdom Tree games. Specifically King of Kings, Exodus, and Spiritual Warfare. The rest are basically unplayable to me, but since I grew up with these ones, they're classics in my eyes. Especially Spiritual Warfare, that's a hill I'm willing to die on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toma said:

A bunch of Wisdom Tree games. Specifically King of Kings, Exodus, and Spiritual Warfare. The rest are basically unplayable to me, but since I grew up with these ones, they're classics in my eyes. Especially Spiritual Warfare, that's a hill I'm willing to die on.

Spiritual Warfare is a pretty decent Zelda clone. I think Bible Adventures is also fun, and Exodus/Joshua are competent (if repetitive) action puzzlers.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 3:21 PM, Deadeye said:

Trog! on the NES for me.  I played a lot of it as a kid.  I wouldn't say it is a bad game (Stockholm Syndrome kicking in), but I don't think it has many fans.  

Trog Screenshots for NES - MobyGames Trog! (Game) - Giant Bomb 

Bod Blog Gaming: Trog (NES) Trog NES Nintendo Game

I like this game, but it's a lot more fun with 2 players.

Also, there's a Trog arcade game that is basically the same gameplaywise, but with sweet claymation characters and better looking levels. Check it out sometime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

@Deadeye @RH @G-type

I fuckin' LOVE Trog. I always wanted my own arcade cabinet, like the one they advertise on the box that you could win. I had the world record speedrun on it for a little while, too. I'll have to revisit it to reclaim that sometime.

image.png

You ain't gotta lie to kick it, Gloves. It's ok that you never had the record. 😛

Editorials Team · Posted
13 hours ago, Sumez said:

I think I lucked out with a lot of the games I had as a kid. Like there was no reason for the Tiny Toons game to be any good, but it turns out it was made by Konami (a name that meants nothing to me at the time) and is really good, so yeah.

The closest to an example like this I can come up with is Solstice which I initially disliked, and returned to much later when I finally grasped it. And honestly it turns out it's a really good game, it's just not very approachable. So some times it's kinda of fortunate to be stuck with only a few games.

I think my best examples of "stockholm syndrome" are much more recent. Like when you put a several hours into a game before you have to face the fact that it just isn't good, and you "might as well" sit it out.
I made that mistake with Radiant Historia. I felt like I had to see it through, I even did all the awful sidequests needed to fight the true last boss. So many hours wasted on such an awful game. 😞
In a way I'm still kinda glad I did it, because now I know not to trust anyone who praises the game 😛 

Also, MC Kids is a fucking great game, what's wrong with you? 😮

I dunno.  I'm pretty sure I won't trust someone that say McKids is great and Radiant Historian is awful  😆 😘

I almost forgot about it but one of the limited handful of games I had on N64 was WWF War Zone. What a terrible game...*but*...the "Create a Wrestler" feature was a source of endless entertainment for my brother and I. We spent way more time playing that turd than it deserved because of that simple feature.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like Lester the Unlikely. A friend owned it back in the day and I would regularly ask to borrow it. In fact, I believe I ended up playing it considerably more than he did. I even managed to beat it, which I don't think he was ever able to do. Then one day, for a gag I guess (?), he busted the cart open and smashed the PCB with a rock! 😵

It's certainly not a standard platformer. It's got a very deliberate pace and requires patience and persistence. It has its share of cheap deaths and moments when the controls will just ruin your day. When all is said and done, though, I find it fun and charming and worth the occasional playthrough.

• Like 1