IGNORED

I got a hand-me-down Amazon Fire tablet (2015, 5th gen) from a few years ago...what can it do that CANNOT be done on a desktop/laptop?

Estil

So I have this Amazon Fire tablet (it has the number 0682 and under that it reads model number SG98EG) my old lady got a few years back and she got a newer one a few years back (sorry I don't know when exactly on either of those) but in any event I was just curious as to if there's anything that can only be done on a tablet that CANNOT be done on a desktop/laptop?  Besides play the two Simon's Cat games I mean 🙂  I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but I really would rather not let a perfectly good tablet go to waste, ya know?

Edited by Estil

• The title was changed to I got a hand-me-down Amazon Fire tablet (0682; model no. SG98EG) from a few years ago...what can it do that CANNOT be done on a desktop/laptop?
Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Estil said:

So I have this Amazon Fire tablet (it has the number 0682 and under that it reads model number SG98EG) my old lady got a few years back and she got a newer one a few years back (sorry I don't know when exactly on either of those) but in any event I was just curious as to if there's anything that can only be done on a tablet that CANNOT be done on a desktop/laptop?  Besides play the two Simon's Cat games I mean 🙂  I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but I really would rather not let a perfectly good tablet go to waste, ya know?

40 minutes ago, Gloves said:

A laptop or desktop can emulate tablet software, so nothing... 

Take it with you in a car to go somewhere.........

Just now, Jeevan said:

Shoot, i guess i should read better........u did say laptop, sorry lol

See gloves' response 🤣

Yeah I don't drive and I don't like the idea of taking with me on the go because as Kevin would say in that second Home Alone movie, I'd be afraid I'd wreck it or lose it or something 😞 

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Estil said:

Yeah I don't drive and I don't like the idea of taking with me on the go because as Kevin would say in that second Home Alone movie, I'd be afraid I'd wreck it or lose it or something 😞 

Wasn't the fire tablet supposed to be like a nook?  Originally I thought that was what they were for.......I could be wrong.

Honestly didn't know they still made them.

41 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Wasn't the fire tablet supposed to be like a nook?  Originally I thought that was what they were for.......I could be wrong.

Honestly didn't know they still made them.

They may have changed the name of it to Kindle?   My wife has a few apps on hers I think.

• Like 1

It’s got more functionality these days parallel to an iPad but without the support the Apple App Store has its fairly limited. 

Web browsing/email/streaming video/some games. The question is oddly worded though, there is nothing it can’t do that a laptop couldn’t except maybe some fire specific games 

Edited by a3quit4s

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I was just curious as to if there's anything that can only be done on a tablet that CANNOT be done on a desktop/laptop?

You're looking at it the wrong way. It's not something that should fully replace a laptop, it's something that might be more convenient than a laptop in certain areas. Like reading an ebook, or a quick lookup of something. I use my tablet (Verizon branded Ellipsis) for those functions all the time, rather than having to fire up my computers to do the same thing.

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

They may have changed the name of it to Kindle?   My wife has a few apps on hers I think.

Other way around. The original was called the Kindle Fire, but then they just went to Fire. Kindle has been relegated to the dedicated e-readers, though the line between the two gets blurred a bit.

There is one and ONLY one thing you can do with it that you can't do with a laptop (this only applies to nice laptops).  You can give it to your kids and not have to worry about costing you much money if they break it.  Both of my kids have Fire tablets and they love them.  I've used them myself, but they are pretty slow.  My kids don't know any better about the speed, so they don't realize there are better (and more expensive) products out there.  You can get really nice thick padded cases for them that make them nearly unbreakable.  Again, the case is so thick, it's obnoxious, but my kinds don't know any better, so they don't care.  

Edit:  My kids are 4 and 6.

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You're looking at it the wrong way. It's not something that should fully replace a laptop, it's something that might be more convenient than a laptop in certain areas. Like reading an ebook, or a quick lookup of something. I use my tablet (Verizon branded Ellipsis) for those functions all the time, rather than having to fire up my computers to do the same thing.

No no no no no no I don't want it to "fully replace" anything.  Just like how say, a Nintendo console cannot "replace" a Sony console as they each have things the other can't do.  That's what I mean by if there's things you can only do on a tablet that can't be done a regular desktop or laptop.  Perhaps things where you really do need that touchscreen like those Simon's Cat games?  I guess though they could be made to use standard controllers if they really wanted...

Like Gloves said, you can get a laptop to do all the functions of a tablet if you set your mind to making it happen. Plus, they make convertible laptops that effectively turn into a tablet.

You just got to look for where it's more convenient to use a tablet. A tablet is more portable, is easier to use in a chair or lying in bed, and can wake up in a nano-second for a quick web browse.

If you go about it with that mentality, you'll find the use.

If you're looking for EXCLUSIVE functions, then no, you won't really find any.

Edited by Tulpa

22 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

There is one thing, and ONLY one thing you can do with it that you can't do with a laptop (this only applies to nice laptops).  You can give it to your kids and not have to worry about costing you much money if they break it.  Both of my kids have Fire tablets and they love them.  I've used them myself, but they are pretty slow.  My kids don't know any better about the speed, so they don't realize there are better (and more expensive) products out there.  You can get really nice thick padded cases for them that make them nearly unbreakable.  Again, the case is so thick, it's obnoxious, but my kinds don't know any better, so they don't care.  

Edit:  My kids are 4 and 6.

I only have the kind of little one that has four legs and goes meow meow...and this Dec 14 he'll be the big 5-0 in cat years (8 1/2 human years...for cat years you start with 24 at two calendar years, then add one for every quarter)! 😄 

And sadly my apt only lets me only have one 😞  I'd love so much to have a bunch of kitties and be a wannabe crazy cat lady! 😄 

Ok I finally was able to figure out what you have.  The Amazon Fire HD 8 (5th Generation) and it is their 2015 model.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-HD-8-8-Inch-Tablet-5th-Generation/dp/B00S5HFVGI?th=1

There's your tablet and specs.  It's a quad core so that's good, not great storage but you can add to it being that it's android, even if they run their own junk version it's easy to load google play store on there too or slide load anything you wish really.

As far as a laptop, it really can't do any more than it, less definitely as a whole computer does more.  BUT, if you want to get specific, like fire up video game and arcade emulators, it's capable, and even PC emulation such as DOS Box or SCUMM VM if you want those Lucasarts point n' click games.  There's a lot of potential, and it has a USB2 jack too along with bluetooth.  You could use it both at home as a mini laptop placing it on a stand using a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and game pad, or usb cable in the controller if you fear bluetooth lag.

I've got a tablet I keep around still but rarely use other than odd moments and travel and it's great for taking my game collection on the go.  I used to load my Neo Geo games on there to use on flights.  I wouldn't try and run something north of probably maybe Reicast(Dreamcast) which probably is a stretch, but PS1 and probably N64 and back are clearly safe on the console level, handheld you'll have newer leniency like GBA easily, maybe DS but that probably is a stretch too.

51 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Ok I finally was able to figure out what you have.  The Amazon Fire HD 8 (5th Generation) and it is their 2015 model.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-HD-8-8-Inch-Tablet-5th-Generation/dp/B00S5HFVGI?th=1

There's your tablet and specs.  It's a quad core so that's good, not great storage but you can add to it being that it's android, even if they run their own junk version it's easy to load google play store on there too or slide load anything you wish really.

As far as a laptop, it really can't do any more than it, less definitely as a whole computer does more.  BUT, if you want to get specific, like fire up video game and arcade emulators, it's capable, and even PC emulation such as DOS Box or SCUMM VM if you want those Lucasarts point n' click games.  There's a lot of potential, and it has a USB2 jack too along with bluetooth.  You could use it both at home as a mini laptop placing it on a stand using a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and game pad, or usb cable in the controller if you fear bluetooth lag.

I've got a tablet I keep around still but rarely use other than odd moments and travel and it's great for taking my game collection on the go.  I used to load my Neo Geo games on there to use on flights.  I wouldn't try and run something north of probably maybe Reicast(Dreamcast) which probably is a stretch, but PS1 and probably N64 and back are clearly safe on the console level, handheld you'll have newer leniency like GBA easily, maybe DS but that probably is a stretch too.

True that. It's solid as being a portable console.

1606789380149100542057334586435.jpg

16067894083153098349353952327742.jpg

16067894973741588849699990725195.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah you got it.  I don't know all the major specs of that device, just an idea from what I did quickly gather.  it may not be as powerful as my shield tablet which basically is a gimped due to android+nvidia tools bloat Nintendo switch, but it should still be solidly capable despite not having the Tegra processor in there.  I personally have mostly used it for Neo Geo (neo.emu) emulation, but have thrown as much as Dolphin (Gamecube) on there before and downwards towards NES and Gameboy.

I was in fact wondering what year/gen it was; hence why I put the model number and such in the OP.  Has it really been that long ago (apparently the latest model is 10th gen)?  On that note I would get a newer desktop at some point (my main computer that I have hooked up to a 42" monitor, which I also have my PS3/PS4/WiiU hooked up to) but for whatever reason I cannot find one that has a bigger hard drive (my current one is 2TB and has a fairly meager 4GB RAM).  What, don't people like having storage space anymore?  I would've thought by now we'd be up to 10-20TB hard drives or something by now...

23 minutes ago, Estil said:

What, don't people like having storage space anymore?  I would've thought by now we'd be up to 10-20TB hard drives or something by now...

I think most people who need that much go with cloud based storage. Why have 10TB of data in a hard drive that could fail when you can safely store it online with backups?

48 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I think most people who need that much go with cloud based storage. Why have 10TB of data in a hard drive that could fail when you can safely store it online with backups?

I'd rather have the old fashioned kind of back ups (SD cards, plug in drives, etc).