IGNORED

Has the N64 aged worse than the NES?

Nintegageo

3 hours ago, Estil said:

Speaking of which I can't believe for whatever reason the ports of Dig Dug and (my wife's all time favorite) Space Invaders never made it to the US.

Both of those were on the Famicom. Space Invaders was probably a little too old, but Dig Dug and Frogger (which only made it to the system as a home brew) were probably the two most glaring examples of missing arcade ports for the NES.

We also didn't get Centipede and Defender, but at least Millipede and Stargate got ports.

Looking at it strictly from the perspective of an inexperienced player who's only into modern gaming, I do think they would appreciate the N64 more than the NES. The N64's 3D graphics have a lot more in common with the average game today than the 2D sprites of the NES, and I bet they would also be less likely to put up with the insane amount of slowdown and flicker NES games tend to exhibit.

That said, I personally go back to the NES way more often than Nintendo 64, for its more simplistic (but still satisfying), challenging experiences.

On 12/11/2020 at 3:17 PM, Tulpa said:

Both of those were on the Famicom. Space Invaders was probably a little too old, but Dig Dug and Frogger (which only made it to the system as a home brew) were probably the two most glaring examples of missing arcade ports for the NES.

We also didn't get Centipede and Defender, but at least Millipede and Stargate got ports.

Frogger was released under the name of Frog Adventure on NES / Famicom.

After seeing clips of Cyberpunk on last gen consoles I'd say 64 is looking pretty good these days 😜

I really don't think this is  fair comparison though. I think the 64 w.r.t 3D is pretty close to the NES w.r.t 2D. Both have a solid foundation but glaring issues. 64 is gonna be judged harsher as it is easier to compare with modern games/graphics skewing your perspective into thinking it's 'aged' poorly. 

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

Time and the internet have sorted out the decent-to-good NES games from the total dreck and at this point anyone who just cares about playing the games can easily do so for free all-killer, no-filler experiences that don't outstay their welcome (barring some of the more menu based games which can have issues) whereas many games that are fun for the short time they last would have made terrible value-for-money propositions back in the day. And you can't easily get 3 of your friends together for a couch co-op N64 session anymore, without which the N64 feels a little lacking.