IGNORED

Has the N64 aged worse than the NES?

Nintegageo

5 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I've heard the younger crowd say that but I just don't believe it's bc they know what they're talking about. To me, if you play the most praised NES games, there is no way that claim holds water. It's just weird considering how easily they are to emulate too. 

The amount of timeless, playable games is stinkin long got the NES. I just can't take people who dismiss it without and substantial argument seriously. 

They’re definitely dumb and wrong, but they’re out there. I don’t remember the video but they were showing 8-bit games to some Gen Z kids and one of them said “I feel sorry for kids in the 80s.”

At one of our lab outings we had an undergrad student (20 years old or so) come along, and me and one of the older dudes were talking about retro games. The undergrad asked what system we were talking about and we said NES. The kid said “Damn, that sucks.”

It’s mind boggling honestly

51 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'd love to see some evidence supporting this, as all the evidence I have seen supports the opposite.

I used to let my students play Game Boy / Game Boy Color as a reward sometimes after class, they'd always try harder so they could play (10-12 year olds)

I have had many kids recognise and start talking to me about old games (i.e. Famicom), along side PS4 and what not. Their parents had both, they played both, they loved both.

I even spoke to a local guy that used to bootleg Famicom stuff in the early to mid 2000s. I asked if he were a gamer , he said no, but said that his products offered an affordable gaming machine for children who couldn't afford a modern machine, and since it was being sold alongside the current gen machines in stores, children wouldn't feel embarassed that their parents were poor.

As he mentioned himself, the NES games are timeless classics, look great, yet are simple and fun - kids of any age and any generation will enjoy them.

So from what I've seen and heard, NES and similar stuff is still popular even now, among young kids. I even have a student of mine begging me to invite his family over to my apartment, as he wants to play the original Donkey Kong Country game.

With N64, never really saw the live today, nor with Atari 2600, at least from the children I interact with.

See my post above. (It’s not proof, just personal anecdotes). I’m not the one saying it sucks, but there are some that do think so. Different strokes for different folks. We can’t expect everyone to think like us (even if we’re right and they’re wrong).

Edited by The Strangest

17 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

You sir, need to get some friends together and play the shit outta that system.........

Let me just tell you this, yes I was in middle/high school when the n64 came out, but my god that system brought about the actual friends coming over and having a party when you wanted to get together to play games!!!!!!

IMO the N64 was the pinnacle of multiplayer.  It introduced 4 players without the need for an additional hookup and it sure did have a lot of party games that were ACTUALLY enjoyable.  

I played it as much as I could stand back when it was new and relevant, when I was in high school.  A good friend got one for Christmas when they launched along with a copy of Mario 64 which controlled like garbage compared to 3D PC games of the day.  Having 4 players with no additional hardware was a neat idea, but we'd already had console 4 player with other systems and, in my case, we didn't have any issues or qualms with having LAN parties on the weekends where there'd be 4 people *minimum* playing games, often up to 10-15, depending on personal and space availability.

No offense intended, but I think the N64 really hit people who hadn't been exposed to better technology of the day and is now popular among those same folks (who have mostly, if not entirely, been exposed to better technology by now) completely nostalgically versus with any sort of critical eye on it.  I'd seen and loved better tech before the N64 came along and knew in my mind and heart that Goldeneye's multiplayer was crap compared to any of the mainstream 3D shooters of the day and even most competently programmed ones that featured multiplayer.

I get why people seeing this type of thing for the first time would be impressed by it, and I understand the power of nostalgia.  However, in the case of the N64, I just don't agree with those folks, because it wasn't the biggest or the best at the time it came out and didn't get any bigger or badder as time went on.  There were certainly noteworthy titles (I still absolutely love Conker's even if I hate the controller and control scheme), but overall the platform is totally overblown in my opinion, take that for what you will.

13 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Also,

Whoever complains of joystick drift.......

I still have my original controllers and see nothing wrong with my joysticks.......

GIT GUD!!!!!!!

🤣

Yeah, I've really wondered about those folks.  The ones I hear complain about it are almost always hardcore Smash Bros players, so I think it's simply the fact that they push too hard on the sticks in the heat of the moment, and the plastic wasn't produced or designed to stand up to the abuse that it's been subjected to.  People have been arguing forever that they were poorly made, but I believe that there's quite a bit of "user error" in there too.  Folks I know who HAVEN'T played Smash Bros like it's going out of style still have original, launch joysticks and no issues or drift. 

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Like 3

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I played it as much as I could stand back when it was new and relevant, when I was in high school.  A good friend got one for Christmas when they launched along with a copy of Mario 64 which controlled like garbage compared to 3D PC games of the day.  Having 4 players with no additional hardware was a neat idea, but we'd already had console 4 player with other systems and, in my case, we didn't have any issues or qualms with having LAN parties on the weekends where there'd be 4 people *minimum* playing games, often up to 10-15, depending on personal and space availability.

No offense intended, but I think the N64 really hit people who hadn't been exposed to better technology of the day and is now popular among those same folks (who have mostly, if not entirely, been exposed to better technology by now) completely nostalgically versus with any sort of critical eye on it.  I'd seen and loved better tech before the N64 came along and knew in my mind and heart that Goldeneye's multiplayer was crap compared to any of the mainstream 3D shooters of the day and even most competently programmed ones that featured multiplayer.

I get why people seeing this type of thing for the first time would be impressed by it, and I understand the power of nostalgia.  However, in the case of the N64, I just don't agree with those folks, because it wasn't the biggest or the best at the time it came out and didn't get any bigger or badder as time went on.  There were certainly noteworthy titles (I still absolutely love Conker's even if I hate the controller and control scheme), but overall the platform is totally overblown in my opinion, take that for what you will.

I refute your post 🤣 🤪

20 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

They’re definitely dumb and wrong, but they’re out there. I don’t remember the video but they were showing 8-bit games to some Gen Z kids and one of them said “I feel sorry for kids in the 80s.”

At one of our lab outings we had an undergrad student (20 years old or so) come along, and me and one of the older dudes were talking about retro games. The undergrad asked what system we were talking about and we said NES. The kid said “Damn, that sucks.”

It’s mind boggling honestly

Think I know the difference between my guys and your guys then.

The video was likely someone trying to just get a reaction, like many of those show old technology to young folks videos are trying to do. As for the undergraduate guy, again, probably just trying to sound / look cool, being around the "hater" age.

Whereas my guys are younger, and likely had / have no reason to put on airs regarding liking or not liking it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yeah, I've really wondered about those folks.  The ones I hear complain about it are almost always hardcore Smash Bros players, so I think it's simply the fact that they push too hard on the sticks in the heat of the moment, and the plastic wasn't produced or designed to stand up to the abuse that it's been subjected to.  People have been arguing forever that they were poorly made, but I believe that there's quite a bit of "user error" in there too.  Folks I know who HAVEN'T played Smash Bros like it's going out of style still have original, launch joysticks and no issues or drift. 

Two of my controllers are launch controllers from back in the day. One feels like new and the second one (which was always connected for single player) is a little bit loose (I only noticed it when I compared them). I have two aftermarket controllers (superpad64) and the stick doesn't work (false input and totally unplayable). So I guess the genuine Nintendo ones were actually pretty well made. I also ordered used controllers on ebay which work fine.

I didn't own ssb back in the day (shame!) so I guessed my single player controller is a tiny bit loose because of Mario Party 1. That's the price of trying to complete the mini-game island.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
8 minutes ago, sg17 said:

Two of my controllers are launch controllers from back in the day. One feels like new and the second one (which was always connected for single player) is a little bit loose (I only noticed it when I compared them). I have two aftermarket controllers (superpad64) and the stick doesn't work (false input and totally unplayable). So I guess the genuine Nintendo ones were actually pretty well made. I also ordered used controllers on ebay which work fine.

I didn't own ssb back in the day (shame!) so I guessed my single player controller is a tiny bit loose because of Mario Party 1. That's the price of trying to complete the mini-game island.

These scrubs don't know what they talking bout, even if u have joystick drifting you should still be able to compete no matter what 😉  Why don't you bitch about the joycon drift then talk to me about my 20+ year old n64 t rex controllers 😆

• Like 1

What a thread :D I do agree N64 aged worse than NES, but only slightly. Now if you compared to SNES you'd have a real case. N64 aged way better than the contemporary 3d consoles, ps1 and saturn, which have all sorts of terrible rendering issues. N64 is just low resolution, which is fine.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, erac said:

What a thread 😄 I do agree N64 aged worse than NES, but only slightly. Now if you compared to SNES you'd have a real case. N64 aged way better than the contemporary 3d consoles, ps1 and saturn, which have all sorts of terrible rendering issues. N64 is just low resolution, which is fine.

Say......loading everytime you get to a new section????  You sir are a good person sticking up for the N64 😉 

Events Helper · Posted

Also @erac As long as u play on a crt, or with an ultra, then that really is a moot point.  It looks ok.  The only real issue is that it is hard to play on a flat screen with gamma issues.......At least for me!

The duke nukem games are horrible on a flat screen.......but as soon as i receive my ultrahdmi modded N64.......GAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

Also @erac As long as u play on a crt, or with an ultra, then that really is a moot point.  It looks ok.  The only real issue is that it is hard to play on a flat screen with gamma issues.......At least for me!

The duke nukem games are horrible on a flat screen.......but as soon as i receive my ultrahdmi modded N64.......GAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember going back and playing Mario Kart 64 with my brother, my favourite Mario Kart game. It looked horrible even on a crt, imo.

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

N64 has a pretty diehard fanbase made up of mostly those who played it back in the day, but I think it's a pretty hard sell to those who didn't.

We might not agree on much on politics kind of things...but you sir hit that nail right on the head, just like how when Obama said the best time in history to be living is the present time.  No, really.

But yeah, I do in fact agree that without actually being their during the console's prime and having all those memories/nostalgic and all that, it's just not the same. 😞 

13 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Where the fudge are the MODS?! This thread needs to have been locked like 50 responses ago!!! It's a fudgeing bloodbath in here! I need an adult, I need an ADULT! 😭

Crocodile Dundee: *scoffs* Heh, this thread ain't a bloodbath...

THAT'S a bloodbath! 😄 

Wow, interesting replies. I think some people are being a bit kind to the NES; implying they had game design mastered or that 2 buttons was enough. While the latter does allow simplicity it also meant some crummy workarounds as well which seem ignored. Sprites shimmering was its own problem worth mentioning as well.

PS. I honestly love the two consoles and think they each have their own impression with gaming history

6 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I get why people seeing this type of thing for the first time would be impressed by it, and I understand the power of nostalgia.  However, in the case of the N64, I just don't agree with those folks, because it wasn't the biggest or the best at the time it came out and didn't get any bigger or badder as time went on.  

What does being newer or better technology have to do with it? Kids back in the day were lucky to have a computer at all let alone something that would play games like your talking about. Also since when has the latest and greatest ever been the most favored thing? The SMS was more technologically advanced then the NES, but it sold like crap, the Atari Lynx and Game Gear way more advanced then the Gameboy, they sold like crap. People generally don't care that there are better technologies out there as long as what they do have is fun. This is just a PC master race argument, and the kinda thing that actually pushed me away from playing on PC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

I will say the HDMI mod is a God send to the N64. Also, the retro fighter controllers reconfiguring the controller layout makes the games way more enjoyable, at least for me. My wife still likes the banana controller. 

So for the low entry price of $250 and a 6-10 months wait for install, you too can properly enjoy your N64 games 😅

Screenshot_20201129-085511.thumb.jpg.8d9d9495261cb9cad82784adf66caf72.jpg

429957659_Screenshot_20201129-0856432.thumb.jpg.e73986a47e62c58a41fb34f47ef1afb0.jpg

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
24 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I will say the HDMI mod is a God send to the N64. Also, the retro fighter controllers reconfiguring the controller layout makes the games way more enjoyable, at least for me. My wife still likes the banana controller. 

So for the low entry price of $250 and a 6-10 months wait for install, you too can properly enjoy your N64 games 😅

Screenshot_20201129-085511.thumb.jpg.8d9d9495261cb9cad82784adf66caf72.jpg

429957659_Screenshot_20201129-0856432.thumb.jpg.e73986a47e62c58a41fb34f47ef1afb0.jpg

Ya, the hdmi mod not being readily available is pretty annoying, but hey, if you like n64 you will wait 😉  

I've got an RGB mod on my N64, HD Retrovision component cables, and a CRT and to me it looks fantastic.  I've said this before, but most N64 graphics weren't that much worse than PS1 or Saturn aside from the stretched textures.  The problem is that the worst looking games on the system also just happen to be some of the most popular.  OOT and Majora's Mask both look terrible.  Nintendo, Iguana and Konami all liked to set the dithering filter to maximum for their games.  Mario 64 was an exception because the graphics were kept fairly simple.  Midway games also always looked pretty clean because they turned the dithering filter off.  All the Cruis'n games looked great, Doom 64 was so good it was ported back to the PC.

• Like 1