IGNORED

Scott the Woz Mystery NES Game available today @ 5pm EST

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

I have no clue what this is, but it apparently exists, and is going to be available in... a few hours. They may go fast cuz I guess this guy is kinda popular on the Youtubes.

jEjwIPehdcKmEyoJ1DIC3QsolBqwXwCC0i25kTGK

Looks to be available at this link, today at 5pm EST: https://www.pixelempire.com/products/the-mysterious-game-of-crypticism-second-edition

There are no gameplay videos or anything really beyond the above image to go off of. I have no real info beyond what's on the link above. But... maybe some of you are into this?

Just wanted to share in case there's some crazy bugger on here who's "gotta catch em all" with regard to NES releases like this.

UPDATE: Missed this, but from the listing:

"These are official NES cartridges with the original label included underneath a new “The Mysterious Game of Crypticism” label. The games can be anything from the NES library! While it could be a cheap sports game, it could potentially be something far more special, uncommon, or even playable!"

• The title was changed to Scott the Woz NES Game available TODAY @ 5pm EST
Administrator · Posted

AAAHHHHH I missed that!

"These are official NES cartridges with the original label included underneath a new “The Mysterious Game of Crypticism” label."

Ok so definitely not a homebrew in that case.

They don't go into what the potential games could be, but I imagine there's nothing of significant value being randomly included, I'd not expect to luck out and nab a Jetsons or anything. Odd indeed.

• The title was changed to Scott the Woz Mystery NES Game available today @ 5pm EST

Jesus, $65? At that point you’d better be doing it solely for the charity aspect and just view the NES game as a small bonus. Because if you’re expecting to grab a Bubble Bobble 2 or Cowboy Kid from that, I think you’re gonna be disappointed when you unwrap it and see Play Action Football.

11 hours ago, GPX said:

Would Scott the Woz qualify as a WATA pedigree if I happen to buy out his entire gaming collection?

In other words, is he more popular than Dain?

Was Dain ever actually popular though? He did a lot for the community, has a great collection, and was a pioneer in many ways, sure, but popular? 

41 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Was Dain ever actually popular though? He did a lot for the community, has a great collection, and was a pioneer in many ways, sure, but popular? 

I’m not sure if I’m the right person to respond to this. I joined NA around 4 years ago and by then Dain hardly showed up on that forum. However, I’m quite sure a lot of Nintendo collectors/gamers would likely know of NA and thereby Dain by association.

Just something to ponder with the question seeing that this Scott fella has over a million YouTube subs. 

Well I would argue that many people knowing somebody or knowing of somebody wouldn't necessarily make him popular, rather just known.

Although I joined NA around 2007, I didn't post particularly much then, but from the time I was more active on there (about 2011 onwards), I still don't remember him interacting much.

So it's a genuine question on my part, was he actually quite popular, or just well known for what he did for the community? 

Someone like this Scott guy, or Pat the nes Punk, or AVG, I'd say these guys are quite popular as they all seem to have large groups of followers, aside from any "contributions" they've made.

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Although I joined NA around 2007, I didn't post particularly much then, but from the time I was more active on there (about 2011 onwards), I still don't remember him interacting much.

So it's a genuine question on my part, was he actually quite popular, or just well known for what he did for the community?

I assume you're TRM?  I think I sold you some super rare Famicom games many years back.  And we had our massive Sachen debate a long time ago too (assuming you are TRM).

Anyway, regarding Dain, popular isn't the right word, but I'd say he was well respected as the de facto "leader" of the NA troupe, since he owned the website.  I met him and all the other NA regulars at the NA expo in Tennessee in 2008 and he was a cool guy to talk to.  What gets me though, is the amount of effort and programming and time and whatnot he put into that site, the database, the collection tracker, and everything else, and then to just take the money and run and not give a shit about your legacy.  It just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth overall.

So the TLDR version: not really "popular," but Dain was definitely well respected prior to the scorched earth sell out last year...

• 2 weeks later...