IGNORED

Happy Thanksgiving! Post your meals and what you're thankful for! (No Canadians allowed 🇨🇦⛔

ThePhleo

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

Looks like a magazine cover. Beautiful spread!

Thank you!

I’m blessed to have a wife who’s hobby it’s to make every meal special with her cooking and decorating skills. Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas and New Years are when she shines the most!

... it also explains why I’m a fat boy.

• Like 1

Well aside from the usual family (especially my grandma; she had long retired from hosting traditional Thanksgiving dinner but she did surprise me by bringing me one of my favorite fast food meals...Lee's Famous Recipe chicken tenders/double potatoe wedges combo...hey it's made from a bird is it not? 😄 ) and friends (especially my best friend Jamiee Cat 😄 ) and my old lady and all that other gushy/gooey shi...a...shows of emotion... 😄 

* Everdrives...being able to have ready pick from a menu access of virtually every game/homebrew/tech demo/etc known to exist for that system, and not have to worry about changing/wrecking your cartridges/discs.

* My local newspaper archive at newspapers.com...it is so neat that I can have ready click of the mouse access of my local newspaper's archive...I've been reading through the entire 1990 year (I was ten years old, I just moved to where I'd spend my preteen/teen years, AND it was 30 years ago just like Back to the Future!) and of course will go on to 1991 next year (I'm currently about three days ahead of the current calendar day if you get what I mean).  We had a couple REALLY big things going on in my local area at the time that I remember.

* Being able to get those neat yearbooks from World Book/Britannica and I may in the future get others like Compton's and World Topic...and of course online shopping in general that allows me to get neat stuff (complete sequence of Cats Pause 1985-present and UK b-ball media guides 1973-2010 among other things)

* YouTube and other places where I can easily see all kinds of history related videos and other kinds and being able to have my favorite TV shows/movies and ESPECIALLY a huge archive of UK basketball games (a website hosted/collected them until Copyright Nazis took them away 😞 ) that I thankfully remembered to download and backup on my computer I can easily enjoy with, again, point and click of mouse.

* With my wife having to now be in a nursing home 40ish miles away (long story) and not being able to drive I could only visit her in person once in a while (our social worker could drive me to and from)...and that was BEFORE the covid thing.  All the more reason I'm super thankful we live in this "future time" of having Skype as well as being able to call each other as much as we like and not having to pay gobs of extra money for long distance like you would've just a few decades ago!  Considering all we each get is our monthly SSDI, that would've NOT been good.

* Speaking of my grandma (as well as my dearly departed grandpa), she and him was by far my biggest inspiration for being into history (especially UK and local city/county history) and nostalgic/sentimental sorts of things. 🙂

* I am so so so grateful and feel very privileged that I was able to get a really good college education at our state's flagship university (UK; I was determined at the time to get the best and I wasn't gonna settle for anything less!) and get double BAs (history/political science) within the usual four years with the help of a few summer sessions at my local community college which was UK affiliated at the time.  So what if it's not the trendy sexy STEM majors or one of those others where you can make six figures?  I studied the subjects I liked and was most cut out for and it makes no difference that I never did get the chance at a more "college level" sort of job/"pay grade"...I was able to make great memories and such that will last a lifetime and that's something you cannot put a price tag on.

I'm sure I'm overlooking some things but these were the first I could come up with...

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Im so glad this is a Canadian free thread.  Now I feel comfortable talking openly about their stupid accent, stupid maple syrup, stupid trees, stupid hockey, stupid health care, and their stupid love of plaid without repercussion .  ECK!  

You forgot their flapping heads, beady eyes, square wheels and especially their weird alphabet! 😄 

And as Crocodile Dundee would say...*scoffs* that's not a border wall President Trump...THAT's a border wall! 😄 

PS: I will say though the Red Green Show totally rocks.

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

I can't believe I forgot this but I'm also very proud of where I'm from (true it's not the kind of place/culture you'd find featured in a multicultural festival or whatnot but that don't make no never mind).  Now I feel very fortunate/lucky to get to be born and bred in the good ol' USA (let's just say I'd rather live in a country where people risk life and limb to get in than one where they risk life and limb to escape from...especially a place like the old East Berlin where people were literally in a walled prison and were SHOT TO KILL ON SIGHT if caught trying to escape).  But just as much if not more so, I also feel that same patriotism/civic pride/whatever for being a Kentuckian as well as the city/county I spent all my life in (except for when I went to UK of course).

On 11/27/2020 at 4:35 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

What are leftovers?

Turkey bones and 3/4 can of cranberry sauce.

In all seriousness we finally finished off our thanksgiving dinner by making a cream of turkey soup.

Now I have to go to the market on a Sunday! I’d rather order out!!

Here's another one for ya...that I was able several years back to get a top quality S-video ready CRT 20" TV/monitor for just $25.  You fellow retro gamers know it can be pretty hard to find a good quality CRT (it's the only way to play retro games without any lag).  I just hope mine (it's an Emerson 2006 model I believe) will in fact go the distance.