IGNORED

NES cart variant list? I need to know...

NeonBros

Does anyone have a compiled variant list? I know no list is ever really finished but someone has to have put something together right? I know NA had a beautiful searchable database but sadly wayback wasn't able to save it all.
3 vs 5 screw is covered amazingly here already but even amongst that there are variants like 5screw Kid Icarus with and with out made-in-japan label.
I know theres a rare variant thread here but its appropriately titled and only going into what is rare.
This goes into  why backs are different and general cib goodnes

White-black vs black-gold vs white-gold seal?
USA-1,-2,-3?
Does anyone know what the heck is going on with major league baseball with a star on the top left vs not? 
 I'm at 448 unique carts with only a handful of those as variants but Maybe I just haven't found the right threads yet any help would be great!... Not that I would mind someone linking a spread sheet of some sort 

>_> way to put me on the spot guys. Jeez

The list has never been fully compiled because no one knows where to draw the line.

For example, for Stadium Events we count the label artwork being shifted ever so slightly to the left so the “TM” in the logo actually shows properly and the top label doesn’t get clipped....but such minor shifting might be found in other games too, it’s just no one pays attention to 2 millimeters of shift on games that aren’t worth five figures loose.

Where do you draw the line and I’ll see if I can help?

Seals of quality is somewhat easy...as long as you don’t care about which oval seal it is (Oval no trademark info, Oval TM, Oval R, Oval in Spanish text)

-1 can be done but I’ll never consider that list finished. For example, I can’t find a copy of Monster Truck Rally with no code, even though EBays default photo is one with no code. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Responding at 2am after a long day of work and pre turkey preparations so please forgive if I'm particularly incoherent. 

-That's a really good point a complete list of variants is difficult to pin down but I'd like to at least categorize them. Or know that they have been categorized.

-I already made the distinction between Oval TM vs R from my own collection but do we know which games do and don't have that distinction? I also had no Idea about the oval in Spanish text. That'll be fun to look out for!

-My cut off is situations where something is being added to the art  no matter how small like the -1s  do or things are removed revealing more background like the missing seal.  I know of a few situations like the shifted TM I believe Castlevania has a similar variant. I was comfortable leaving off art-shifting or art-rearrangement which gave me a small heart attack in how to justify tracking left vs right Mario but technically part of the glove is covered there so I feel justified counting it. 

-Dear god font sizes/ changes I love knowing that these exist even if i wouldn't distinguish them in my own collection. 

- Also thanks for reading and responding I feel like I'm falling down a never ending knowledge pit on this site. Exciting and terrifying. 

I have a couple weird carts that i can't tell are actual variants or distortions from time, lighter backgrounds etc. Ill ask on the rare/variant thread with pics tomorrow but I need to type it out before I lose the idea in tomorrows gravy haze. 

Here's what you do:

Pick one game, and spend 30-60 minutes going over every cart picture you can find on Google, Ebay, etc. Make a note of any differences that you can find, and write them down. Seals, TMs, product codes, screws, even back labels and more.

Repeat for the other 676 games. Obvious, I know, but that's just what it will take to make a comprehensive list. Maybe there could be a group of volunteers who each agree to do one game per week, and that way the work could be split up?

2 minutes ago, Divingninja said:

What is in the works? Can I contribute?

I've been collecting variant information for years and adding it to a database. I've already built a tracker for my own personal collection with all the variants but I'm going to be adding more functionality and opening it up to the public soon. If you want to help, you can figure out how to use the eBay API to pull sold listing prices because I can't figure out how to do it since they removed it from their FindCompletedListings API.

5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I've been collecting variant information for years and adding it to a database. I've already built a tracker for my own personal collection with all the variants but I'm going to be adding more functionality and opening it up to the public soon. If you want to help, you can figure out how to use the eBay API to pull sold listing prices because I can't figure out how to do it since they removed it from their FindCompletedListings API.

Ooof. I’m not super computer savvy, but I had a pretty good loose cart variant list on NA back in the day. Not sure if you have all that in your database yet.

Edited by Divingninja

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

No idea.

@Code Monkey, any news on your database?

My application got published to the Play Store 2 days ago but it's throwing an error when downloaded onto a device that isn't running dark mode. I have some more work to do to get it stable before I post a link to it.

Why anyone would not be running dark mode I have no idea.

• Thanks 1