IGNORED

What do you do for a living?

ThePhleo

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I had a patient in residency who had a chronic, somewhat debilitating medical condition and essentially lived in the hospital. She was a VIP for one of my bosses so she got whatever she wanted. Her favorite cocktail was something I dubbed the "slowball." It was a combo push of Dilaudid, Phenergan, and Benadryl. She got it about once per day and then faded into oblivion. That was about 8 years ago and a lot of miles away, so I don't know whatever happened to her. I suspect it did not end well.

At my current job, our patient population is pretty trustworthy and drug-seeking is a minor problem. Most of my surgical patients end up using just a small portion of their narcotics and returning the rest for disposal. I also previously worked in the Pacific Northwest and that place  is a shitshow for opioids.

It's usually a couple bad apples that ruin it for everybody and jade nurses. I think people who work in pain management are more susceptible than floor nurses but it can happen to anyone. Now that I work in cath lab I usually only use fentanyl and versed for conscious sedation, the only time i use benadryl is for pre treatment for dye allergies or unexpected allergic reactions. I don't miss the floor except for working a couple 12 hour shifts a week.  For me it was really only that one patient and a few that already came in that were already opioid dependent that were difficult and even then it doesnt bother me until they start making demands and they start setting their alarms to wake up for their meds.

2 hours ago, Dragonwarrior83 said:

It's usually a couple bad apples that ruin it for everybody and jade nurses. I think people who work in pain management are more susceptible than floor nurses but it can happen to anyone. Now that I work in cath lab I usually only use fentanyl and versed for conscious sedation, the only time i use benadryl is for pre treatment for dye allergies or unexpected allergic reactions. I don't miss the floor except for working a couple 12 hour shifts a week.  For me it was really only that one patient and a few that already came in that were already opioid dependent that were difficult and even then it doesnt bother me until they start making demands and they start setting their alarms to wake up for their meds.

Yeah, I actually think pain is now under-treated due to the opioid backlash. Most people actually don't want to abuse medications. As you said, a few bad apples...

1 hour ago, Trifecta said:

Do you have any tips for studying for exams P and FM?

I was thinking about making a transition to being an actuary.

One of my friends passed all her actuary tests before her senior year of college. So if you're a genius, I'd say just try to take it and see! You might pass w your basic knowledge of stat and a ti 84.

I'm a property manager as my primary career - both rent and own properties in several states. Soon, I'll also have my real estate license so that I can add another additional source of income.

Used to work in private sector of government, but I absolutely hated my career, so I just decided to quit one day to do my own business venture. Best decision ever. I love working for myself and getting paid exceptionally well for my efforts instead of making others wealthy.

I'm a commercial coffee roaster for a community minded coffee company. The purpose behind what we do is to give back to and support our local community by empowering others. We donate a dollar for every retail bag we sell to a local organization that we let the purchaser pick from. We also do fundraisers for schools, churches, non-profits, etc. 

In my spare time, I brew beer at home and I am in a curling league. 

On 10/29/2019 at 8:49 AM, Winterion said:

Job 1 - Application Engineer and Technical Trainer for a federal contractor based outside of Washington DC

Job 2 - Professor at George Mason University's School of Computer Game Design

Job 3 - Founder and owner of Winterion Game Studios

That's awesome! I remember talking to you during the (I believe) NES for MS marathon in playa's stream about this. I applied to GMU for the CS masters program and was accepted. I really wanted to go but declined because I was broke and wasn't offered funding. The faculty at GMU really stood out especially for game design. I think it's really cool that you're able to teach there now. Now ~4 years later I'm working full-time and finally got this degree on the rails with GA Tech's OMSCS.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 7:27 PM, thenickross said:

I work for Thrasher Magazine. It’s a skateboard Magazibe based in San Francisco. 

Hell ye! I try and skate every day at some point and do read Thrasher as well as own multiple t-shirts. Have you noticed the brand's shirts becoming trendy amongst non-skaters lately?

9 hours ago, MachineCode said:

Hell ye! I try and skate every day at some point and do read Thrasher as well as own multiple t-shirts. Have you noticed the brand's shirts becoming trendy amongst non-skaters lately?

It’s actually on the way down with non skaters. 2016-18 it was HUGE. Rad to hear you’re pushing everyday.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:30 PM, Trifecta said:

Do you have any tips for studying for exams P and FM?

I was thinking about making a transition to being an actuary.

The early exams are just testing whether you have the mathematical aptitude or not. If you can grok probability distributions and crap like variance, skewness, kurtosis etc. you should be fine. If you PM me I'd love to chat with a burgeoning actuary!

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

One of my friends passed all her actuary tests before her senior year of college. So if you're a genius, I'd say just try to take it and see! You might pass w your basic knowledge of stat and a ti 84.

You know, that's a tricky place to be in since you're credentialed but also have no work experience.  I'm sure she'll find something but it's a bit of a tough sell unless you're willing to eat sh*t for a couple of years just to rebalance your work history and number of exams passed.

I am a category manager/buyer for a supermarket chain. Started in the stores as a bagger/carriage shagger and worked my way up through a bunch of management positions and now work at the corporate office. Awesome company I work for in fact almost all of management and corporate workers started as a bagger or cashier. 

6 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

You know, that's a tricky place to be in since you're credentialed but also have no work experience.  I'm sure she'll find something but it's a bit of a tough sell unless you're willing to eat sh*t for a couple of years just to rebalance your work history and number of exams passed.

It was definitely tough for her. She was a manager at Chipotle throughout college and only landed a job in her field a year after graduation which she was lucky to get bc she didn't even get any internships. That field is so damn competitive people don't realize it. She is genuinely gifted, has a great work ethic and can be successfully social and still had a rough time even landing a position.

I work for a local city water department. Actually just got back from working a main break for 12 hours. Damn plug blew off one side of a 12" tee. It was a shit show. There was basically a river running down a whole block. All sorts of stuff to dig around like electric lines, a 4" gas main, AT&T fiber optics, and we had to yank out a huge chunk of old wooden utility pole that had apparently snapped off and the fuckers never pulled it out when they put up the new one.

It's rough work but I like working outside and the pay is decent. 

• Like 1

So I just passed the CPA. My resume seemed like it had a few holes still so I just took a job working for a big company instead of pushing for a public acct. position.

I am going to work in the Finance dept for a couple months helping with budgeting then assisting with analytics after year end. Then I'll switch over to the acct. Dept. and work on F/S, G/,L, and consolidating F/S. 

The pay is better than an entry public acct. position, but I just hope this will give me the experience I need to go public. I guess I'll start applying for audit positions in a year or two.

• 2 weeks later...