IGNORED

What do you do for a living?

ThePhleo

Haven't really talked about it here yet but have been out of work since May. I quit. Was at that job for 15 years, started in 2004 and a lot had changed in that time including going from an independent company with profit sharing to pretty hardcore corporate with new even shittier management. Things just kept going downhill every year including going from an 8 person manufacturing department to 3 people including myself. Had 3 times the work to do with no extra compensation and managers had no plans to hire more help. Just couldn't do it anymore. 

Anyway, i left on good terms. The president gave me his cell number and said to call him for a recommendation. So i have skills and a nice reference on my resume. My whole plan was to take time off for a while and try and get my mind right and work on getting healthy. I cut sugar and processed foods and lost a good 40lbs since May. Still working at it! Been making a lot of meals at home which has been nice! The girlfriend has liked that i do all the shopping and cooking, lol. Planning on looking for work in the new year as my fundage situation is finite and i'll have to do somethin to support my Switch habit! 😛

• Like 2

I am a demolition guy, specializing in hazardous materials. Mold, asbestos, lead, silica. Stuff like that. But I will destroy other things too if you'd like. Usually I don't do full demolition, just strip out the bad stuff, but I'm slated to go do a full smash job on an old building on an island out in the middle of nowhere next spring to make place for a lighthouse or something. Like, you get there by helicopter. Should be smasheriffic.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 10/30/2019 at 7:27 PM, thenickross said:

I work for Thrasher Magazine. It’s a skateboard Magazibe based in San Francisco. 

That's so cool! I used to get Transworld Skateboarding when I was younger, but Thrasher was always THE skate mag as far as I was concerned. What do you do for the magazine?

-CasualCart

5 hours ago, ZBomber said:

I just had a job interview this morning for an IT Support position and they offered me the job on the spot.  I've been in a lot of customer service type jobs the past 10 years but decided I wanted to get into IT earlier this year. It's just an entry level job but I've been getting serious this year and studying for IT certs so I'm really excited to begin and work my way up!

That's great! You will learn a lot working the helpdesk, being exposed to so many different issues is a great way to find out what sort of IT work you're interested in.

• Like 1

Ditch digger for local 37. I’m a kid in the sand box. Don’t have pictures sorry but they aren’t that exciting anyway. 

Joined the union for benefits and found a nice easy company that has tons of downtime! Getting paid right now while I’m posting this nothing response without any pictures!!! Lame I am! 

22 hours ago, CasualCart said:

That's so cool! I used to get Transworld Skateboarding when I was younger, but Thrasher was always THE skate mag as far as I was concerned. What do you do for the magazine?

-CasualCart

I’m working as an archivist/curator for the Thrasher museum/retail shop. Pretty sweet gig. It’s crazy that some of my favorite pros from my youth are now some of my best friends. 

• Like 1

I was a  automotive tech for almost a decade and then decided I didn't want to work for a living, so now I am a registered nurse. Currently work in the Cardiac Catheterization lab which is pretty cool and requires less physical work than working on the floor.

Edited by Dragonwarrior83

My official title at the moment is "Cross Connection Control Technician", however....that really describes about 20% of my job. I work for a local city for the water department. I cover help with water distribution, water plant operations, and backflows. Basically I jump all over the place and help when need be. For the most part I am a data analyst. I check for leaks, look at consumption data, and just generally figure all sorts of things out based on 6 different programs used in conjunction. I really do enjoy it, especially the data analysis. I have a degree in chemistry, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense for what I do.....but it certainly pertains to the data analysis aspect 🙂

I have a degree in HIT (Health Information Technology) but I currently do side jobs. Mainly lawn care, roofing, clear outs etc. I'm also home schooling my two children during the day. My aging neighbors get free lawn care and some home upkeep out of me. It makes my day to help someone that I've known a long time thats truly thankful. 

Edited by Ghost Soldier
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DpadDanny said:

Nice, what kind of software? I work for a contracted QA testing company- I've tested ecommerce, reservation management, pharmaceutical, ticket management and financial services software and sites over the last 8 years.

Only worked in defense so far - which is maybe a weird start to a career, since it's in a bubble similar to healthcare. Been here 3 years now working with Java and AWS. Planning to jump ship to a software company when the time is right. But I'm also working on an online masters degree so I'm spread a bit thin as it is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alder said:

Only worked in defense so far - which is maybe a weird start to a career, since it's in a bubble similar to healthcare. Been here 3 years now working with Java and AWS. Planning to jump ship to a software company when the time is right. But I'm also working on an online masters degree so I'm spread a bit thin as it is.

Nice- full plate but sounds like you know where you wanna go with it. Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

Nurse.  

went to school for 4 years so I can push IV narcotics on drug dependent assholes bc “pain is whatever the patient says it is.”  Narcotics should be for dying people only. I can CLEARLY see why there is a drug epidemic.

yeah, I’m jaded and think the healthcare is complete horseshit. 

6 hours ago, final fight cd said:

Nurse.  

went to school for 4 years so I can push IV narcotics on drug dependent assholes bc “pain is whatever the patient says it is.”  Narcotics should be for dying people only. I can CLEARLY see why there is a drug epidemic.

yeah, I’m jaded and think the healthcare is complete horseshit. 

And for surgical/procedural areas as well... I feel your pain though. I had a patient on our cardiac floor at my last job and I saw that guy 5 times over the course of a 6 month stretch. I'm having chest pain, can you describe it to me and rate it on a scale from 0 to 10. It's always an 8 to 10 even though he's just laying there reading the paper. Well let's start with nitrostat, no that's okay how about that 4 mg of morphine ivp with some benadryl? Keep it coming every 4 hours too and yes I will be f#cking waiting for it rocking the call light at 5 minutes till it's due to remind you!

Edited by Dragonwarrior83

18 minutes ago, Dragonwarrior83 said:

And for surgical/procedural areas as well... I feel your pain though. I had a patient on our cardiac floor at my last job and I saw that guy 5 times over the course of a 6 month stretch. I'm having chest pain, can you describe it to me and rate it on a scale from 0 to 10. It's always an 8 to 10 even though he's just laying there reading the paper. Well let's start with nitrostat, no that's okay how about that 4 mg of morphine ivp with some benadryl? Keep it coming every 4 hours too and yes I will be f#cking waiting for it rocking the call light at 5 minutes till it's due to remind you!

I had a patient in residency who had a chronic, somewhat debilitating medical condition and essentially lived in the hospital. She was a VIP for one of my bosses so she got whatever she wanted. Her favorite cocktail was something I dubbed the "slowball." It was a combo push of Dilaudid, Phenergan, and Benadryl. She got it about once per day and then faded into oblivion. That was about 8 years ago and a lot of miles away, so I don't know whatever happened to her. I suspect it did not end well.

At my current job, our patient population is pretty trustworthy and drug-seeking is a minor problem. Most of my surgical patients end up using just a small portion of their narcotics and returning the rest for disposal. I also previously worked in the Pacific Northwest and that place  is a shitshow for opioid abuse.

Edited by DoctorEncore
Typo