IGNORED

What do you do for a living?

ThePhleo

23 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

These kind of threads are always fun.

So how do you put food on the table?

Me? I clean shooting ranges for a living! Here’s a photo of me digging through a rubber backstop to reveal the lead for recycling.

Thats pretty cool, we have a range like that in the city I work in and a fire started in the rubber pellets, burnt up the whole range.

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

These kind of threads are always fun.

So how do you put food on the table?

Me? I clean shooting ranges for a living! Here’s a photo of me digging through a rubber backstop to reveal the lead for recycling.

B328CF8C-E5D3-4B21-8FD0-A85F920E6406.jpeg

Wow, that is something I never knew existed (or came to thought). Thanks for sharing!

I’m a 911 operator

17 hours ago, Jono1874 said:

Slot Machine Technician.

It's not as cool as it sounds. I get paid the big bucks to change light bulbs and replace busted buttons.

I think I would enjoy that. Even if it’s not cool. Sounds like good, honest work, and I like a job where you walk the floor, something that I’m currently missing. I have enjoyed jobs refurbishing computers, un /loading trucks, and picking warehouse orders. Standing and /or moving all day can be good for you, if your employer is not an asshole *cough cough Amazon*  balance and appropriate rest and conditions are needed. 

Edited by Link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Link said:

I think I would enjoy that. Even if it’s not cool. Sounds like good, honest work, and I like a job where you walk the floor, something that I’m currently missing. I have enjoyed jobs refurbishing computers, un /loading trucks, and picking warehouse orders. Standing and /or moving all day can be good for you, if your employer is not an asshole *cough cough Amazon*  balance and appropriate rest and conditions are needed. 

I enjoy it quite a bit and am treated quite well. I do bench repairs as well, so I don't get to hang out on the floor as much as I'd like, but hey, nothings perfect. My soldering skills have skyrocketed since ive started too so I've begun modding the hell out of all of my old consoles as a result.

I think its pretty cool. People seem to think im some kind of technological wizard because I can clean the dust and smoke damage out of ticket printers.. I go out of my way to explain that virtually anyone can do what I do but they don't listen. Hahaha.

• Like 1

My first job out of college was... screwing in light fixtures on the front of pontoon boats.  I'll never forget it.  It was truly a humbling experience and even though I did that for about 4 months, it really helped me appreciate physical labor as a profession.  I was barely 120lbs soaking wet at the time, and I had to drag around all of those front railings to put them on my workbench.  I was bored out of my mind (I'd been in school and loved "education" for 17 years, keep in mind) but after about 3 months, I got "in the zone".  Work days went by fast, the people were great, and at the end of the day I wasn't exhausted and I had a lot of mental energy to focus on my own projects.  I almost hated to move along into my career field but, eh... it pays better and was more suited to my talents.

Since then I've been a Software Engineer/Architect/Insert Buzzword.  I took a crack at being a manager about 6 years ago and I think it was bad timing.  It wasn't for me, bu I did just have a newborn son and when work basically told me I couldn't have paternity leave (at all) and had to leave my wife at home, and work 14 hours days, 6 days a week, I said management life was BS and never looked back.  

So, I'm a C#/.Net Engineer.  I love the people generally in the profession.  I also enjoy working with customers and users, taking the time to listen to their needs and building what they want, where feasible, or even telling them what they want in a way that excites them, and makes them think it's their idea.  I don't mean that in a manipulative way.  It's just that users can come up with great ideas, but since they've not developed UI for 15 years, they aren't aware of approaches that can make the experience more intuitive and quicker to use.  I do, and I love facilitating that type of development.

Ok, I've rambled a bit.  I'm just pretty good at what I do, but it's because I've been fortunate to actually find a profession that clicks with me, and I enjoy.

Edited by RH