IGNORED

Game Hunting In Washington

New site, new thread, same idea.

About idk two weeks ago? I went to a thrift store and saw some SNES carts in their "collectable" case up front. Had the guy pull them out...sadly sports games but still ones I didn't have. I made a deal with him too, they were $5 each but he tossed one in for free...so that was nice of him.

Thrift store:

SNES John Madden Football - $5

SNES Madden 96 - $5

SNES Super Play Action Football - Free

It's nice to find cartridge games, even if they are sports games. I have to collect every game for these systems so there's a lot of junk/common/sports games I need to knock off my list.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nrslam said:

I've noticed a slight uptick in the number of older cartridge games making it out to the sales floor of local thrifts.  Maybe the collecting frenzy is fading a bit?  Anyways, congrats on the finds.

I sure hope it's fading! I occasionally still find carts...it really depends on the thrift store. Goodwills are a no go for games in general, regardless of age. Value Village/Savers you can find carts but they're ebay prices or higher. And a few local chain thrift stores you sometimes find carts. Mom and pop one off stores...it varies.

12 hours ago, ap123 said:

3 for $10 is not too shabby. I don't remember the last time I saw a cartridge based game at a thrift store.

Yeah, I didn't know that thrift store did deals like that...might have been a one off sort of thing.

Super Play Action Football is actually pretty decent. At least, as far as I recall.

I miss finding cartridge games in thrift stores. I lived within walking distance of 3 thrift stores a few years back. I would visit each one every 2 or 3 weeks.i only ever found 1 Nintendo 64 game in the full year that I did that before moving.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:11 AM, Jono1874 said:

Super Play Action Football is actually pretty decent. At least, as far as I recall.

I miss finding cartridge games in thrift stores. I lived within walking distance of 3 thrift stores a few years back. I would visit each one every 2 or 3 weeks.i only ever found 1 Nintendo 64 game in the full year that I did that before moving.

Really? The only "good" sports game I've heard about is NBA Jam on the SNES. I just don't like sports in general...I find them dull lol. Racing games are about as close as you'll get to get me interested in playing them but...I have set myself the goal of playing every NES/SNES/N64 game at least once, just to give them all a fair chance...even the crap ones.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:34 AM, a3quit4s said:

I wonder if regular people are starting to figure out not every game has value, especially sports games and pricing them accordingly 

Jeez I hope so...lol.

On 10/28/2019 at 4:34 AM, a3quit4s said:

I wonder if regular people are starting to figure out not every game has value, especially sports games and pricing them accordingly 

*laughs in Pro Sport Hockey*

Lol nah I get what you're saying and I agree. Actually though, be thankful people occasionally don't price them according to value.. that's when you'll find a copy of Mega Man 5 for $10 - next to Tecmo Bowl and Top Gun for the same price.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up just getting my damn tooth pulled and treated myself to games afterwards...because dear god the pain.

Store:

NES Defender II - $5 (has rental sticker on side, and sharpie on back)

NES Rollerball - $5 (sharpie on back)

SNES Smartball - $7.50

N64 Aero Gauge - $6 (label is worn/faded, large scratch in it)

Genesis ESWAT: City Under Siege - $5

GB Battletoads - $8

GB The Fidgetts - $6

GBC Quest for Camelot - $5

Xbox Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil - $5 (CIB)

360 Halo 3 ODST - $5 (CIB)

PS2 Chaos Legion - $15 (CIB)

So pretty good prices. I've gone there before and they've been hit or miss. Some stuff is overpriced, and other things are quite decent. And now I can finally say, I have Battletoads.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got more tooth issues that need solving and that requires more money then I have so...yeah going to have to sell stuff in the end.

Anyways, today was Cash America's holiday sale...and I really wanted to go to it and my favorite thrift store (since they're leaving at the start of 2020). But after having to help dad in the yard...it was 3 PM so...there wasn't much I could do but hope I could still find stuff. I decided to hit the thrift store first because I love that place so much...happy I did, got a lot of not game related items that I love and one item I've been after since I was a kid...however my mom started not feeling great so...had to skip the pawn shops! I still got some games at the thrift store though, just one of the reasons I love this place...you can still sometimes find old games! So it was a sort of...you win some, you lose some day. I can hit pawn shops later I guess...and haggle till I'm blue in the face to get those prices down.

Thrift store:

NES Arch Rivals - $5

NES Blades Of Steel - $5

NES Faxanadu - $5

SNES Super Star Wars - $5

Gamecube Star Fox Adventures - $3 (CIB)

PS2 Final Fantasy X - $3 (CIB)

PS2 Final Fantasy X-2 - $3 (CIB)

PS2 The Legend Of Spyro: The Eternal Night - $3 (CIB)

Nothing too mind blowing (who knows if I would have found something amazing at the pawn shops anyways...) but some decent prices. Never even heard of Arch Rivals so that's something new. I got Faxanadu and Star Fox to sell, as I own those. I'll have to recheck on Faxanadu to make sure. I'm not sure if I own the Star Wars game though so...have to check if I do or not and sell it if I do. The rest I didn't own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to that thrift store again because I'm trying to hit it as many times as possible since they're leaving in the new year...

Anyways they had NES and SNES games but of freaking course I was too late. Some lady got to them before me...ugh I was really upset about that. I found one thing but it was like...why freaking bother at this point. Just really ruined the rest of my day for me.

Thrift Store:

Sonic 2 - $3 (CIB)

Bought it because I have it cart only...didn't know that until I checked my phone catalog app...so I bought it to have it CIB...but it's such a meh find. I'm still upset and it was several hours ago...I guess I forgot I always get like this when I see something I want and lose out on it. I tend to dwell on the bad things. 😞

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 2:11 PM, nrslam said:

Your favorite thrift has extended its closing date to Jan 11th instead of the previously announced Dec 31.

Oh ho ho, I see you know about it as well. Did we by any chance bump into each other that day when I found Sonic 2? Or did you figure it out some other way lol?

So I've been forgetting to post some stuff...

Went to HPB two times since my mom got me some gift cards for them for Christmas. Both times had slim pickings...guess because of the holidays.

Trip 1:

PS3 Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late - $13 (CIB)

Trip 2:

3DS Azure Striker Gunvolt Striker Pack - $20 (CIB)

Xbox Oddworld Stranger's Wrath - $7 (CIB)

Value Village:

SNES Total Carnage - $15

I sort of hate myself for buying that SNES game lol. I caved because I wanted an older game...and it was the only one I found that day. So I paid up for it AND I already had it...dummy me didn't check my lists...oh well, I'll just have to frankenstein a CIB together using it as the game.

I did get a Nintendo Switch though. I finally broke down and bought it using some cash I got from selling a console and some games, plus some money from my partner from Christmas and some money from my parents. I bought the Let's Go Pikachu console bundle...really cute limited edition bundle actually. Would have rather gotten a Zelda one but since there isn't one...I settled for this. I mean there are skins but not a true official Zelda console. I also grabbed Super Mario Odyssey Starter Pack because I can't resist special editions. So far the Switch is funner then I thought it would be...also smaller then I thought it was, which is a plus side for me. Hasn't blown my socks off yet so...I'll reserve my judgement until I play on it more. I need to break out BOTW...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Astor Reinhardt said:

Oh ho ho, I see you know about it as well. Did we by any chance bump into each other that day when I found Sonic 2? Or did you figure it out some other way lol?

I've been game hunting in WA for decades, and have been a fan of that store since before they moved to the current (and soon to close) location.  They used to be in Spanaway.  And, no, that wouldn't have been me, I didn't spot anyone getting games there on any recent visit.

21 hours ago, nrslam said:

I've been game hunting in WA for decades, and have been a fan of that store since before they moved to the current (and soon to close) location.  They used to be in Spanaway.  And, no, that wouldn't have been me, I didn't spot anyone getting games there on any recent visit.

Ah, so you just put one and one together. I didn't know that about that store. Spanaway is a long ways out lol. I wish they weren't moving, I've had no luck with any Goodwill's around here and that's all that's left. Actually recently one of the Goodwill's up and closed too! So I'm left with even less thrift stores unless I want to travel further out...which is hard for me to do. I think I'm going to give up on thrift stores for game hunting once my favorite store leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some good finds and at a place I totally wouldn't have suspected.

Store:

NES Gotcha!

NES Slalom

NES Wall Street Kid

Gen Junction (label damage)

Gen Marsupilami

Gen Puggsy

GB Balloon Kid (label faded and curling up at the corners)

GB Heiankyo Alien (label starting to curl up at bottom)

GBC Gex 3 (label faded)

GBC Prince of Persia

And then an unknown Japanese GB game. Looks like a golf game by Namco. After putting it into my GBA SP, I figured it out. It's Namco Classic. Looks like its a JPN only game for the Famicom and GB. Cool.

It was all $50. They really didn't want to budge on their prices. Originally I had five more games since the lady said she'd "make me a deal" if I got a stack of them...yeah not much of a deal at the price she was originally giving me. So it was about $5 a game, and I figure the Japanese game was thrown in for free.

While they have a TON of stuff...I'm not sure if I'll go back or not. Maybe if I had more time to spend there so I could really go through the games and figure out which games are worth it. I managed to pick most games that were over $5 or at $5 FMV...so I think I did decently. I just hope they all work.

Edited by Astor Reinhardt
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

What with all this virus BS going down, thrift stores are closed and yard sales...while still sort of popping up...aren't a good idea soooo I haven't really done much in the way of hunting. I did get some games recently through a local group that's doing some deliveries of food and other things...and they were free to boot. I also bought cases for the 3DS games because I found some cases with manuals for cheap...and I also picked up a case plus manual for my loose copy of Super Mario 3D Land.

Feels good to case loose games...I don't find a lot of cases and manuals cheap so I haven't been able to case my loose games but...yeah it feels super nice to complete a game.

Free games:

DS Final Fantasy III

DS Guitar Hero On Tour

3DS Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

3DS Super Smash Bros

All loose, the FF game I already own and the Guitar Hero one I don't really care about but the 3DS games are great! I've been wanting them both for awhile...plus free is free!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

So I turned 29 a few days ago. WA is reopening slowly, but certain counties are in a different "phase" then where I live meaning they're going to have stuff like thrift stores open. I actually did hit a thrift store the day before my birthday and while I didn't get games, I did find a lot of cool VHS, vinyl and toys...so that was fun. Satisfied me, I had a real craving to go hunting again lol.

Anyways, on my birthday I was going to just go to my favorite restaurant to get carry out and hit my favorite Asian market...but I noticed pawn shops are open...so I had to stop at a few I knew sold old games...at least in the past. I found some neat things...and over spent.

Pawn shop 1:

Nintendo game drawer (has a large bottom drawer that can hold 28 games and a top drawer for holding controllers, plugs and a zapper), with 14 NES games, and a NES system (with all the plugs + two controllers) - $180

NES games:

- The Adventures of Bayou Billy (with manual and Nintendo dust sleeve)

- Donkey Kong Classics (with Nintendo dust sleeve)

- Double Dribble (with Nintendo dust sleeve)

- DuckTales (with unbranded dust sleeve, spine label damage)

- Golf (with Nintendo dust sleeve, name in marker on back of cartridge)

- Ninja Gaiden II (with unbranded dust sleeve, several price stickers on back...including an old Gamestop one for $6.99 lol)

- Pro Wrestling (with Nintendo dust sleeve)

- Punch-Out (with Nintendo dust sleeve, some light spine label damage)

- Spy Hunter (with unbranded dust sleeve, name in marker on back of cartridge)

- SMB/Duck Hunt (with unbranded dust sleeve)

- SMB 2 (with unbranded dust sleeve)

- TMNT (with unbranded dust sleeve)

- Top Gun: The Second Mission (with unbranded dust sleeve)

- X-Men (with manual and Nintendo dust sleeve)

The other games:

NES Deadly Towers - $6 (with unbranded dust sleeve)

SNES The Jungle Book - $9

PS3 Puppeteer - $13 (CIB, or as CIB as it can be without a manual...)

Pawn shop 2:

2600 Brain Games - $3 (missing spine label)

2600 Kangaroo - $3 (missing spine label)

2600 Outlaw - $3 (missing spine label)

SNES Super Battletank: War in the Gulf - $3 (back label badly torn)

DS Puzzle de Harvest Moon - $3 (CIB)

3DS case that has a NES controller design on top - $3 (also has storage for 6 games)

Pawn shop 3:

2600 Amidar - $2 (label came off, going to have to glue it back somehow)

3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf - $10 (CIB)

Also I've bought a few things online. One from an Instagram seller and the other from a game store here in WA that has some of their inventory up on a website.

Instagram seller (all this was $49 with shipping):

GB Dragon Warrior Monsters (some label damage)

GB Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 Tara's Adventure

GB Super Mario Land 2 (with manual)

GBC Klax (with manual, some label damage)

Online store:

DC Armada - $25 (CIB)

DC Record of Lodoss War - $45 (CIB)

I found some great stuff. I just wish that bundle could have been split up. I ended up just selling the pawn shop the NES back because I didn't need it and I wanted the price to be lower...they only gave me $40 for it 😕

The online store I'm not going to name because I'm no so sure about these guys, I'm interested in some of their stuff but they have 0 pictures up and don't tell you if a game is Greatest Hits edition or not. I messaged them awhile back but they never got back to me on if the games I was interested in were GH or not. I mean their prices are good/decent, but I just wish they had pictures up.

Anyways of the drawer lot I'm keeping the manual for Bayou Billy, Donkey Kong Classics, Ninja Gaiden 2, Pro Wrestling, Punch-Out, Spy Hunter, Top Gun 2, X-Men and the manual. The rest I have. Of course I'm keeping the drawer.

I just looked all the games up in that bundle and if I add the $40 NES back in...I get about $178...so I guess everything was "FMV"...I just don't wanna pay FMV lol.

IMG_20200608_200703.jpg

IMG_20200608_200851.jpg

IMG_20200608_201005.jpg

Edited by Astor Reinhardt
Forgot pictures
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday there was supposedly going to be "75 yard sales" at this "neighborhood wide yard sale" down in Tacoma...there wasn't. It sprinkled and everyone got scared. There was 20 sales if that and it was really all garbage. Two people had games but of course they sold them and one guy was a reseller...had a ton of games in bins I could see but nothing for sale...ugh.

So I was pretty let down and moody but I spotted a game store that I've never seen before (don't get down to Tacoma much) and it was like a light at the end of the tunnel. Now normally I don't wanna spread awareness because if a game place has good prices...I wanna keep it to myself but...eh why not. Maple Bar Games was the store. They had like 5 or 6 arcade machines up front (none of them on at the time...shame) and it had the usual stuff a game store has (plus some card games/dice for table top games). But the prices were pretty good. Lower then eBay. I found everything to be about $1 or $2 under eBay prices. And one game was much cheaper then eBay prices because it had the manual...didn't spot that until I was in the car looking things over lol.

I'd totally go back there again.

Maple Bar Games:

NES Astyanax - $7 (has name in sharpie on back of cart)

NES Battle Chess - $6 (has both back and front label damage and also plastic blistering on front of cart)

NES Dr. Chaos - $7 (comes with manual)

NES Gyruss - $8

NES Quattro Sports - $5

NES Shadowgate - $8

Xbox Metal Dungeon - $8 (CIB)

Xbox Tao Feng - $7 (CIB)

Xbox Tenchu Return From Darkness - $6 (CIB)

maple.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally found someone willing to buy a bunch of consoles without cables/controllers. It was my local game store. I got $325 in store credit and promptly spent it all. I had originally bought more Laserdiscs then games but the Laserdiscs didn't work for me so I had to return those and then get more games. And now one of the PS2 games isn't working (I finally got around to testing it...) so I need to see if I can still return it...technically a week has passed...but I'm hoping they'll make an exception if I call them and tell them it doesn't work. Anyways here's what I got.

NES Demon Sword

NES Mega Man 3 (CIB)

NES Robocop 2

SNES The Adventures Of Dr. Franken

SNES Battle Clash

SNES Frantic Flea

SNES Harley's Humongous Adventure

SNES Jim Power: The Lost Dimension In 3D

SNES Kid Klown In Crazy Chase

SNES Robocop 3

Super Famicom Ace Wo Nerae!

Super Famicom Shiku Shining Scorpion

PS2 .hack//G.U. Vol 2: Reminisce (CIB)

PS2 Shining Force Exa (CIB)

PS2 Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (CIB, water damaged cover art)

I was trying to grab the most interesting sounding games (plus the Super Famicom games I can play on my Retro Duo Portable)...and Mega Man was just...the right price for me to use up the rest of the credit. I needed that game CIB anyways.

wizards.jpg

• Like 4

So the guy was cool and made an exception. Weirdly he got it to work on the stores PS2...so maybe my PS2 needs some TLC? At any rate I got two games to replace it.

NES Heavy Barrel (with manual)

NES Rocket Ranger

It was just a simple exchange, no cash since I got the exact right amount...which was hard let me tell you.

Heavy.jpg

• Like 2