IGNORED

Zelda II - Save game from 1989 leads to tragedy

Gentlegamer

I recently reconfirmed my Zelda II cart has my original save game... from 1989. I had finished the game and the save file was at the beginning of the second quest.

Since the battery hasn't died yet, I decided to play the second quest. I encountered no issues until getting to the Great Palace: the force field didn't go away! I checked my number of crystals and saw a weird glyph in place of the number.

Curse you, Glitch Gremlin! Now this save is forever stuck.

spacer.png

Edited by Gentlegamer
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Sad 5

Hopefully you'll be able to dump it and repair it, as others have suggested.  Whatever you do, don't make the same mistake I did as a kid--don't hook it up to a Game Genie, as that's how I managed to wipe my maxed out, just needed to actually beat the game save while fooling around on a different save spot at a friend's house.

Maybe borrow a retron5 off someone?  You copy the save data from the cart into the console memory, then you can take that file to a SD card, pop that on a PC, do the update, then reverse the order and put the save back onto the Zelda game.  No data loss, no threat, no touchy touchy other than 1 read and 1 write.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe borrow a retron5 off someone?  You copy the save data from the cart into the console memory, then you can take that file to a SD card, pop that on a PC, do the update, then reverse the order and put the save back onto the Zelda game.  No data loss, no threat, no touchy touchy other than 1 read and 1 write.

Would that really work? You can put the save back into the battery memory?

1 hour ago, Gentlegamer said:

Would that really work? You can put the save back into the battery memory?

Yeah, so long as the system is updated properly, you can reload locally backed up saves onto original carts.  I don't remember you being able to move saves off of the internal memory to the SD, but I believe you can change where it saves them when you tell it to back up.  Been forever since I've had mine hooked up, but I did back up all the old saves I still had on old/childhood carts that I used to play when I still bothered with it.

Yes it's nothing crazy, it's just a bypass to the same result.

Like if you wanted it, BennVenn sells the JOEY (a GB GBC GBA kit) for under $30.  It reads/writes both any form of save chip, but also can re-write flash kits or even break into after market bootleg carts and nuke them for your own flashing purposes too.  It even recently added the official Nintendo Nintendo Power GB Memory flash kits they sold in Japan.

As long as you have the proper tool to suck the file off, and then pop it back on there, you're golden.

It's why I suggested having or borrowing a retron 5. IT sucks, but it's great if you want to do a bit of video game surgery at no cost of lost data.  The system has large internal storage and you from the menu click the choice to copy SRAM to Retron5 and it's saved, that's it.  Then you work on your hacking of your save on your PC copying it off the R5 onto the SD card you can pop in the rear.  After that just re-insert, copy save from SD to R5, then R5 to game cart. Done.