IGNORED

ebay gonna make seller wait 24-48 hours before funds are available?

docile tapeworm

12 minutes ago, RH said:

It literally feels like they are playing a game of how far they can go before the sellers revolt and say they've had enough and move on.

(Assuming this is fact.)

i also heard the fee will be one time from ebay (12.35%) now (no 2.9%+$0.30 from paypal). and tge fee is collected at sale for each item, not a invoce at end of month.

Edited by docile tapeworm

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Move on to what, though? I've never seen a viable eBay alternative, and I think eBay knows it.

At some point though, the tower has to topple if they don't respect their clients.  I agree, the alternatives (FB Marketplace, OfferUp!, even Amazon) aren't as convenient.  eBay has cornered the market of small time seller markets.

Regardless, collectively, people might get fed up enough with high fees, high returns with zero benefit and just the right set of young "disrupters" come along and make something old-but-new-again and eBay will have to fight.  I don't know when that will be but I don't see it at all being impossible.

I think they've got such a huge footprint that trying to sway a critical mass away from them would be really tough. You'd need backing from a deep pocket to market it widely, and something as innovative as Google's PageRank that makes the new market a no-brainer to join. Short of those conditions, I think eBay's going to remain the 800lb gorilla for awhile yet.

18 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Move on to what, though? I've never seen a viable eBay alternative, and I think eBay knows it.

Yup. You would need a company such as amazon to start an auction site to compete with them. It would be SUCH a wonderful boon to any sellers/buyers basically everyone but shitty ebay!

If you are referring to not getting payments through paypal now. Yes it is true.

Though 24 hours seems to be the norm (this is of course bank business days).

At first I was mortified I wouldn't have immediate access to my funds.  But I have already gotten used to it and there hasn't been a situation where I actually needed the money right away.

It is also nice there is no huge eBay bill at the end of the month.  Unless of course you used Fedex/UPS who bill after they scan or have other non-fee related charges.

Also the %0.65 you get now is a joke.  No one except the people who make 7 figures would care. And even then I doubt they care.

To put it in perspective.  You get $65 extra dollars now for every $10,000 you make. 😂 

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

It is likely  true - I recently had a partial refund from a seller since a minor part of the shipment was missing - he said he wanted to wait until the original funds cleared to him.  He waited for a bit and then sent the refund to me.

I've had that happen; since their Paypal payment was recent, when I sent their refund it ended up as an eCheck from me for some reason whereas had I waited a day it would have instantly refunded them.

It was just odd.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

1 hour ago, RH said:

At some point though, the tower has to topple if they don't respect their clients.  I agree, the alternatives (FB Marketplace, OfferUp!, even Amazon) aren't as convenient.  eBay has cornered the market of small time seller markets.

Regardless, collectively, people might get fed up enough with high fees, high returns with zero benefit and just the right set of young "disrupters" come along and make something old-but-new-again and eBay will have to fight.  I don't know when that will be but I don't see it at all being impossible.

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Yup. You would need a company such as amazon to start an auction site to compete with them. It would be SUCH a wonderful boon to any sellers/buyers basically everyone but shitty ebay!

mecari? i dabbled but it was a year ago and cant remeber what its like...

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the old days. I dusted off my eBay account to raise some cash and find it much more convenient and practical to keep all my eBay monies separate in PayPal.

It is very frustrating that pitney bowes postage will post immediately from my checking while actual revenue from the sale just sits in limbo for 48 hours. With PayPal, postage was just deducted from the sale. I'm sure there is a setting to deduct shipping so it doesn't post to my checking before the sale goes through, but this is still annoying.

Ugh crap that's how they're handling shipping too?  I've not been forced into this garbage yet and I'm fairly ticked off about it.  They know they can get away with it because their only light competition Mercari and Amazon do much the same doing funds hostage.

I know of FDIC backed sets of banks that created this no-bank bank account that works free out of ATMs and has no fees, even gives 1% interest on your balance.  I'm going to basically have to set an account up with them because they're no way I'm letting those parasites anywhere near my actual bank account, ever, given how they treat sellers.

You could just read eBay's terms of service to find out.

What I find more interesting is if they're holding funds, I believe they legally need to apply to be recognized as a bank. I know PayPal had to do this recently and it brought about a lot of changes to their terms of service with the new banking requirements because they hold funds while in transport.

20 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I miss the old days. I dusted off my eBay account to raise some cash and find it much more convenient and practical to keep all my eBay monies separate in PayPal.

It is very frustrating that pitney bowes postage will post immediately from my checking while actual revenue from the sale just sits in limbo for 48 hours. With PayPal, postage was just deducted from the sale. I'm sure there is a setting to deduct shipping so it doesn't post to my checking before the sale goes through, but this is still annoying.

There's a button right when you print shipping through eBay to switch from "Paypal" to "Pending Payouts".  So yes, you can just use the money (that isn't in your account yet) to pay for the shipping, then you get one lump sum payment in a day or two.  A non issue once you notice that.