IGNORED

Facebook Marketplace - Is this a good place to sell?

RH

On 11/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, Tanooki said:

I see anyone go on about no lowballs, I move along.  I consider facebook marketplace since I deal only locally, an online garage sale without the harassment of dealing with idiots stomping all over your grass and touching your things, let alone having to drag everything out and back too.  Before them it was craigslist before facebook made them pointless to exist.

Sure I don't expect a huge price cut, but I'll start at half what I think it is worth.  My attitude is, if you're selling local, and you want ebay, go there and stop wasting peoples time.  I handle it the same if I sell there, I don't go full price, seems like a greedy cop out.

When it comes to being a buyer and if you are expecting garage sale deal on say video games forget it. Everybody wants market value or even more. So it depends on the item.

If you’re trying to deal with a bunch of “is this still available?” messages from people who will never respond again - FB marketplace is great.

Honestly it all depends on what kind of money you’re trying to get, how fast you want it, and how much time you’re willing to commit.

Your good stuff will sell fast anywhere and your junk will sit forever unless you sell it super cheap.

2 hours ago, MaddenCollector said:

If you’re trying to deal with a bunch of “is this still available?” messages from people who will never respond again - FB marketplace is great.

Honestly it all depends on what kind of money you’re trying to get, how fast you want it, and how much time you’re willing to commit.

Your good stuff will sell fast anywhere and your junk will sit forever unless you sell it super cheap.

This is pretty on the nose. I use marketplace to sell cheap stuff but I give myself a time limit. I give it a few days on there and if it doesn’t move, just gets donated 

On 11/20/2020 at 8:21 PM, Bonanza125 said:

When it comes to being a buyer and if you are expecting garage sale deal on say video games forget it. Everybody wants market value or even more. So it depends on the item.

Oh I know, but if someone won't cut at least 20% off ebay, then I'll just use that site and if it takes a week, a month, a year or more to get what I want where I want it, I will and have done it too.

I find it an outright slap in the face when I see facebook invite groups to their marketplace, even here, where someone is ...take VGPC(insert incorrect aggregate site) and knock off 10 or maybe 15%.  Ultimately, they want full price without paying the ebay fees on the item and its shipping costs.  I just say screw you to that, if it's a community, do better.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, RH said:

Yeah, I got my first offer. Straight up trade for a switch lite for $600 of PS1 games. Thanks, but no thanks. I wasn't rude, and neither was he. I kind of expected that too, but if that's all I get, I'll pass on FB.

Yeah the switch for retro games is essentially a youtube meme at the moment. Lots of folks show hauls worth hundreds and hundreds for a switch lite with nba9k or whatever. Some of my friends who sell all the time get really annoyed at the lowball offers but it's all part of the fun IMHO 🙂

15 hours ago, Gloves said:

I've personally had zero luck here in Toronto, but it IS pretty cutthroat out here.

Do you have any recommendations for facebook, reddit or whatever groups outside of the ebay monster that are good for selling here in Ontario? I'm cool with shipping stuff as local would be a joke. I'm 45mins outside of Ottawa.