IGNORED

Game Debate #23: World of Warcraft

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

Wow.  4 votes so far and all "Never played it, never will."  Way back in the day when MMORPGs were new, I refused to play them.  Any of them.  I loved RPGs so much and I felt averaging 60+ hours on a game was enough.  An "endless" RPG would have sucked the life out of me and I just didn't want to go down that path.

Other than trying out Second Life in beta, I don't think I've really played an MMO.  Second-Life sucked though, so that lasted like a week.

I dunno, I put 6. I've tried playing it maybe 4-5 times and I can't get into it. It could be that I've played tons of Lord of the Rings Online which is essentially the same thing, so I'm burnt out on the core formula. It seems way, way better than LOTRO, but now these games mostly feel like a job. If I'm gonna waste my life grinding up skill bars and getting loot, it's gonna be on Old School Runescape where I don't usually have to interact with other humans.

Taken as a whole, WoW isn't all wine and roses but it has to be said...if you ever managed to play it alongside a handful of friends, there is nothing else quite like it. It has survived as long as it has for a reason. The world is full of cool things to explore and core loop is addictive.

I played for about 2 years, during the time of Burning Crusade into Lich King, then got a bit burnt out and stepped away for several years. Rekindled with about an 8-month long affair during Battle for Azeroth and currently on another hiatus. I'm not wild about the subscription fees or the absolute time-sink that you can let yourself get caught in sometimes but I have to say that I have some very strong, rewarding memories of my time spent in WoW.

I gave it 8/10.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

I gave it an 8 but I think this is a game that will really depend if you played it with friends and a good guild. 

I started about 3 months after launch and played up to BC, but quit before BC raiding.

Vanilla was so much fun for me because I played with some friends and was in a good raid group, so I got to see all the end game content. 

Also playing Alterac Valley was just so epic for the time with all those users on one map trying to kill each other’s general. 

Playing the game solo would be boring and feel like a chore more than a game. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I put a ton of time into it for maybe 12-18 months, on and off.

Played in a high-level raiding guild.  Grinded out a rank 10 in pvp mostly solo.  Did fairly well in Arena.

Played through BC, and after we had Illidan on farm I called it a day.

I'm not sure how to score it.

I'd say I was pretty good.  If I didn't end a pvp match with the top kills, or end near the top of DPS in a raid, something went very wrong.

5/10

It had some cool things in it, but it was one of those games that I didn't care to play unless it was with friends. Top notch in the exploration department, few MMOs (least at the time) I played didnt quite have the open world this game did, so thats a point in it's favor.

FFXI is a vastly superior MMO 😛

Gave it a 4.  I tend to believe, when it comes to mmo's,  you'll never love another as much as your first.  Along with a few real life buddies I played Dark Age of Camelot for over three years.  It was awesome fun back in my bachelor days when you could play one single game like it was your second job.   The community was the key, and never have I been able to recapture those awesome times in DaoC.  The whole guild I was in moved over to Star Wars Galaxies, but we all quickly came back to DaoC because they forgot to put an actual game in SWG.  Then World of Warcraft came.  I was hyped, we all were.  So again we moved over to that one.  It was fun for a bit, but it was lacking something that DaoC had, so most everyone again returned to DaoC.  Left alone to fend for myself (guildless) I discovered why WoW wasn't for me.  It had a large mainstream community that was so full of garbage people I just couldn't enjoy it.   So I also returned to DaoC, until ultimately burning out on it.

It probably sounds prudish for me to say that about the WoW community, but that's how I felt at the time.  Now many mmo's can be played successfully solo, but that really wasn't the case for WoW early on.  So many people that played later on may have had little interactions with the toxic players.  But I get why so many people love this one so much, it was their first.

Meh, no need to hide that meh either.

The 4 I allowed it is because it really fleshed out the actual world around warcraft and gave it a bigger life outside of the books and older games.  The roots of the ideas they laid down in that game honing the earlier stuff of similar play was extremely well done at the time and still stands fairly well now despite being dated as many fans just don't care and keep going.

That said one reason I'd never touch MMOs was the blackmail effect they had in the day on it, where if you didn't pay your monthly fee they'd like other earlier games erase your stuff and character.  You feel pressured to put in hundreds of dollars base into the game to live a life on there, then more to get more perks, it was whaling before you could whale the shit out of stupid people with mobile phone micro transactions through IAP.  There were other grumbles too.  So I avoided it, went instead with the hybrid single player/co-op rpg of Guild Wars instead and it handled so much of it a lot better.  When GW2 came around, they morphed the game into WoW, but with all the (developers words) top 10 most hated things about WoW's setup, mechanics, character storage/saving, and addressed them, and in turn it was an amazing game I put time heavily into for nearly 2 years until my co-guild lead and best friend then died of a heart attack on christmas eve.

So yeah I'm dinging it not so much for the game itself and story, just how they handle various mechanics including the monthly pay wall or else. 🙂