IGNORED

Last game that impressed you?

Nintegageo

Administrator · Posted

CrossCode is really well done, and I've had a blast with it!  I played very early on from the early access version on steam, and followed its progress and enjoyed it so much I also got it on switch.

It's very polished, and very well done.  I've enjoyed it quite a bit, and glad to see someone else here enjoying it!

• Wow! 1

Can we discuss retro games in this regard?

I’ve said it before but part of why I like collecting is seeing the history of the medium evolve, and seeing what devs can pull off within the limitations of hardware. There are times when playing Atari 2600 games I’m a bit in awe and thinking to myself “I can’t believe they pulled this off in the late 70s/on the 2600.” Games that come to mind on that platform are Space Invaders for its plethora of modes, Moon Patrol for featuring parallax scrolling on the 2600, Space Shuttle because... it’s a freaking space shuttle sim on the Atari 2600. There are many more but these come to mind at the moment.

I’m a sucker for good pixel art and games like Ranger X, Gaiares and Shinobi III (my avatar) on Genesis are a joy to look at. I’m not sure what I can say about SNES games that hasn’t already been said before but Super Metroid is still an atmospheric beauty to this day.

As for modern stuff:

I really like the Super Meat Boy/The End is Nigh types of platformers where it’s challenging but respawn is instantaneous. I was surprised how eager I was to keep tackling the frustrating levels and I eventually overcame all of them.

I’m getting a Switch game today called Sakuna Of Rice and Rain and that game’s visuals impress me a bit, and the mix of genres.

I think Kingdom Hearts 3 has the best combat system of any action RPG.

• Like 1

I have been getting more impressed with Battle Worlds Kronos (Switch) the more I play it - there is some serious strategy play in the game.  Lengthy (a battle can take several hours) battles with lots of units.   

There are some flaws - ways to do things are not explained at all so you wind up doing a lot of experimentation to find out how to do things.  The battlefield gets cluttered (damaged and destroyed units emit smoke) so it is hard to see what is going on.   And if you accidentally stick a unit where you didn't mean to - tough luck.

I have just started getting air units and they do solve one problem that most strategy games have - the amount of time most of the air units can remain airborne is very limited.  So they don't take over the game.

I'll break this up into 3 categories:

Most recent "classic" game to impress: Metroid: Zero Mission

-I missed out on most of the GBA generation, so playing Zero for the first time was a delight. I got a bit frustrated during the final stretch but I'm very glad I finally got that notch in my belt.

Most recent "retro" game to impress: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

-I had a feeling I would enjoy CotM, as the classic Castlevania franchise is one of my favorites of all time. What I didn't expect was to become so addicted to it that I ended up completing it all the way through every loop. The way the game incentivizes you to revisit the game with a whole new spin multiple times over is just amazing.

Most recent "modern" game to impress: Doom Eternal

-I've been a Doom fan since early '94. Doom, Doom II and Doom (2016) were kind of addictions for me. Then Doom Eternal comes out...and I thought Ultra-Nightmare on 2016 was tough. Eternal is almost exhausting at times...but it is also just about the pinnacle of "boomer shooter" accomplishment. Still haven't played the expansion, though.

It feels like years since I’ve been genuinely impressed by a game.

I remember the step up from NES to SNES, the step up from SNES to N64/PS1 the step up there to PS2/Xbox and the step up from there to PS3/360

Games stop being “impressive” on a technological standpoint to me and swapped over to being impressive on an immersion level.

I guess the last visually impressive game I’ve seen was the first Uncharted game, and I guess for immersion you can award Naughty Dog yet again with The Last of Us 2

On 11/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, Deadeye said:

Paper Mario Origami King really impressed me.  It got so much negative feedback after release.  Finally got around to playing it recently, couldn't put it down.  Great game.  

Same here.  I get that it's "no Thousand Year Door," as the critics like to say, but most things aren't --- I thought it was amazing from front to end.  Sadly though, games like that tend to leave a bit of a hole when they're finished, so no matter what I try next, it never seems to satisfy that part of me that keeps thinking "I wish I was still back in that world..."

The last game that impressed me though, would probably be Unravel on PS4.  I don't think I've ever used "magical" to describe a game before, but Unravel changed that.  That game was special.  It's magical.

Editorials Team · Posted
32 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Mario 64 was probably the last game that I really was impressed by. I spent a good hour just running around outside the castle exploring when I first played it.

Of all the grumpy old man posts, this might be the grumpiest oldest man'est 😂

The Outer Wilds blew my mind as I delved further and further into it. Despite its outward appearance as a sci-fi adventure, it's actually a beautifully intricate mystery that has been lovingly crafted by the developers. I wish I could experience it again.

I also just started Demon's Souls on PS5 and it is impressive on a lot of fronts. The game is a ton of fun and the visuals are beautiful. My only gripe is the complete lack of direction regarding building/leveling your character.

Its been a few years for me. But something that a game can get me with is the environments and if they are made in such a way for me to think "dam I wish this was real and I was really there!".

BOTW did that for me. There were so many places I saw and thought I wish I could live there. The one before that was No Man's Sky. Alot of people hated it because of some Dev broken promises or something. I didnt even hear of the game until it came out and some one told me that it's a free exploration space game with infinite panets. My head nearly exploded. I had a friend make me a computer just to play it and to this day its the only pc game ill play. 

They both had one thing in common which was the ability to make me wonder what was around the next corner. Very few games have been able to do that for me after I "grew up" and the childlike aww and wonder dissapeared. Unfortunately NMS really needs something a little more going on to keep me interested today, but at the time I couldn't walk away from the computer. BOTW though is something i keep going back too

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, Deadeye said:

Paper Mario Origami King really impressed me.  It got so much negative feedback after release.  Finally got around to playing it recently, couldn't put it down.  Great game.  

Not PM:OK, but I was really impressed with Yoshi's Crafted World.  Elements look quite realistic and I thought the entire look of using trash was a amazing.  Origami King seems to have that same feel, but I've not played that one yet.

13 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Mario 64 was probably the last game that I really was impressed by. I spent a good hour just running around outside the castle exploring when I first played it.

SM64 only gets more impressive with time. What gets me is how well it holds up, in spite of it's flaws, now for decades. What compounds this the fact that it was one of Nintendo's first, real 3D games.  They basically stepped up to the plate and on their first swing hit a grand slam.  I can't think of another time I've seen or heard of a company doing that, with such a major transition in game development or immersion.

And taking it from a different angle, I'm not much of a sports game kind of guy but when NBA Jam came out, I loved playing it with my friends.  I didn't have a SNES or Genesis in that era, so it wasn't until I got my N64 and got NBA Hangtime that I was able to play a game like that.  And I put a ton of hours into NBA Hangtime.  There was something about the super-cheesy, fast-paced arcade fun that made that game (and would have made it's ancestors) so fun.  In a sense, I was blown away that they made such a mechanic that someone like me, who doesn't like basketball at all, enjoy such a game based off of the game play style and the over-the-top design.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I must be too easily impressed 😂

Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls ever!

Super Mario Odyssey is the best Mario in decades!

Breath of the Wild is as good as they say!

Slay the Spire is the best deckbuilder ever!

Darkest Dungeon is the best rogue like boardgame dungeon crawl ever!

Everspace is as impressively fun as Dead Cells!

Deaf Cells is impressively fun!

Uncharted Waters is the best rice-trading sim ever!

657939866_6379978_sd.jpgmaxHeight640maxWidth550.jpeg.9ca8060c053f4ead95513fbf5d858907.jpeg

Classic old-school dungeon crawling at its best!

If you were a fan of Wizardray,  Might and Magic, or any of those games THIS is for you! The worst thing I can say is that this is obnoxiously addictive, so don't start it if you have a great deal to do! Also, like old-school games, its hard. You can lower difficulty levels if you really want to, but the gameplay on hard is how it was mean to be played - and its not that hard once you get your party filled out, but boy, is it fun 🙂

In regards to games that I wasn't necessarily expecting anything from but really grabbed my attention, Pokemon Sword/Shield most recently

I had fallen off with Pokemon after Gen 4 Diamond & Platinum & Pearl really didn't entirely do it for me and Gen 5 Black & White did even less. I had skipped B&W2 and the next few generations (I did pick up Omega Ruby and enjoyed it, but I figured I would as I did really like Gen 3)

I had only just finally gotten my Switch this spring, and while looking for my first few games, grabbed Super Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Shield. Odyssey is good, but also wasn't expecting anything bad. Pokemon hadn't really gotten me hyped in ages, so I honestly had low expectations, but then Shield completely shattered them, to the point I had done something I hadn't since Gen 3 rightfully and bought Sword as well and the expansions, completing the "full collection". I still enjoy picking it up and the DLC has been quite good. I'm actually considering making a new profile just to start a new game here soon.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X