IGNORED

Music Debate #89: Mr. Bungle

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

Editorials Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, BeaglePuss said:

I'm a big Mike Patton fan, and love many of his side-projects.  Mr. Bungle is brutal though.  A few of my friends are diehard Bungle fans, but I find it mostly unlistenable.  

The fact that Disco Volante is a major label release makes me assume everyone Warner Brothers was doing lots of cocaine in the 90s

• Haha 1

So the first time I dropped acid we had quite the delightful and terrifying experience with a Mr. Bungle album.  Other than that there was a vague year or so in college where they kept popping up but that’s it for my Bungle experience.  There’s definitely a time and place for them but not something I’m gonna pull out very often.  6.

7/10. Mostly great songs and I absolutely love the boundaries they pushed with their music. But you really need to be in the right head space and mood to listen to them.

P.S thanks for posting Retrovertigo. My favourite Mike Patton song and it has been a year or two since I listened to it.

Edited by Shmup

Pink Cigarette and their live cover of "Working for the Weekend" got them a 6 from me.

They (or at least Mike Patton, not sure which band he did it with) had a killer rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" transitioning into Blondie's "Rapture" 

23 hours ago, BeaglePuss said:

I'm a big Mike Patton fan, and love many of his side-projects.  Mr. Bungle is brutal though.  A few of my friends are diehard Bungle fans, but I find it mostly unlistenable.  

I second this opinion. I appreciate how prolific a musician he is (Faith No More and Fantomas are fantastic), but Mr. Bungle is tough.

• Like 1

There was a time I had mr bungle in heavy rotation, to the point I absorbed all I could from it I think. I will forever be a huge fan but don’t really listen to the old albums anymore. Looking forward to the new record. But it’s not the same line up so it’s not going to be the same. More like a fantomas vibe. Kinda like where I ended up with nirvana. I heard so much fucking Nirvana I don’t care if I ever hear it again, but it’s still special to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

5 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

Okay so never heard of them. I went into this fully expecting to hate them. It's not really my type of music but I found a few songs I kind of enjoyed. So I'll give it a 5/10. I would be willing to listen to more of them but I wouldn't go out of my way. 

I appreciate that you gave them a fair shot. There is some really good music hidden inside their insanity!

On 11/16/2020 at 5:58 PM, Kguillemette said:

I appreciate that you gave them a fair shot. There is some really good music hidden inside their insanity!

Oh yea I always try to give any new band a shot because you never know when you'll find a new favorite. Even if you don't end up liking the band I usually at least find a song or two I like.