IGNORED

Where to get rid of exclusive games??

JVOSS

9 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well you need to ask yourself a few things:

1. Is the game actually rare.

2. How many folks are collecting this stuff?

3. By taking 1 and 2 into consideration, you can arrive at point three, how much to charge for it.

for #1 looking into this..

for #2 by the responses i have seen on this post not many. and even less know about them.

for #3 will value less then free for most people.  kind of disheartening.

an as to the best place to sale (OP) it looks like putting the options on a dart board and through a dart. as one place is not better then another. 

12 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

for #1 looking into this..

for #2 by the responses i have seen on this post not many. and even less know about them.

for #3 will value less then free for most people.  kind of disheartening.

an as to the best place to sale (OP) it looks like putting the options on a dart board and through a dart. as one place is not better then another. 

Why do you want to sell it so badly, if you fear you won't get much money for it? I thought you wanted to collect all the Gameboy game variants?

as i have 3 and 2 with the identical date cod, board code, board number and rom code. so it is an extra and someone else can enjoy knowing they have one the few known games around.

and as the largest gb variant owner is time for the spares to be shared similar to the 52 chn that will be available soon

For this type of stuff, forums is best, as collectors are the market. HA is investors , not collectors of this type of stuff.

Value, if you offered it at $20, you definitely get some hits. I'd personally sell it for more though, but again you need to research like I suggested above.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

that not even close to a workable starting point but i do see where your going.

Well here's the situation in a nutshell:

You need to find out just how rare the thing actually is. Having three and saying an offer of $20 wouldn't be close to a workable starting point suggests to me that you're shooting for the moon on this one, and I honestly don't think that's realistic. 

Let's go back to that Super Mario Land I have for the GB, ROC version. In ten and a half years, I've only ever seen two, plus a bootleg. Period. And that's with living in the country, eating, drinking, sleeping games.

To me that suggests that the game truly is rare, especially when compared to the number of ROC Tetris carts I've found in the same duration of time.

So my game has a trashed label but it is rare, how much is a reasonable price for it? $50? $500? $1000? More?

I personally wouldn't sell it for $50, as it's part of my collection and I only have one. If I had two and I got a $50 offer, I might sell if it were to a collector buddy, especially given the condition as well as the fact that it's not a particular favourite piece of mine.

$500, I'd definitely contemplate selling, despite it being my only one. For $1000, it's out the door. But the thing is, despite the rarity and knowing reasonably well that it is truly rare, I similarly don't think anyone would pony up $500 for it, even for a nicer copy. That's just my gut feeling.

In your case, no one seems to even know for certain how common or rare the game actually is. The game might only be just uncommon in Brazil, similar to how the expensive yet desirable Pegasus Golden 5 in 1 Famicom cart is actually not ueber rare in Poland, despite the demand suggesting otherwise. And given that neither of us have lived in Brazil for a large duration of time (I'm guessing, anyways), it makes it even harder to trust the idea of it being obscenely rare. In comparison, I see it all the time in Taiwan with games, there are some that are truly rare, and others that just appear rare to those out of the region.

• Like 3

i wouldn't have used a cropped photo from the auction page for an estimate thread, especially since 99% of estimate threads aren't estimate threads (people are just looking to hear that whatever they have just purchased is super rare and valuable, and will consider anything below X00$ to be an insult to their intelligence)

just list it for whatever you think it's worth, that's really the only answer, and then lower it at each relisting if nobody bites. make sure the title is as ominous as possible to catch buyers' attention

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

$500, I'd definitely contemplate selling, despite it being my only one. For $1000, it's out the door. But the thing is, despite the rarity and knowing reasonably well that it is truly rare, I similarly don't think anyone would pony up $500 for it, even for a nicer copy. That's just my gut feeling.

Now you give me a starting point for the SML ROC.

Not really worried about the rarity just a fare value from the community.

5 minutes ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

i wouldn't have used a cropped photo from the auction page for an estimate thread, especially since 99% of estimate threads aren't estimate threads (people are just looking to hear that whatever they have just purchased is super rare and valuable, and will consider anything below X00$ to be an insult to their intelligence)

just list it for whatever you think it's worth, that's really the only answer, and then lower it at each relisting if nobody bites. make sure the title is as ominous as possible to catch buyers' attention

lol the photo was from my collection photo.  again not really looking for value or maybe i am.  but really what is the best vehicle to sale it on. 20201026_105252.thumb.jpg.9c43578eee3dbea4643a606f96784785.jpg

Edited by JVOSS

8 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

Now you give me a starting point for the SML ROC.

Not really worried about the rarity just a fare value from the community.

Thing is though, I wouldn't even consider it a fair price though, rather just a price where I'd be stupid to turn it down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just chuck it on eBay with a minimum starting price that you’re willing to accept (whether that is two figures, three figures or four figures+). Make sure you also offer shipping to Brazil because honestly they’re the most likely to bid on it. Post a link here so collectors know about it too

If you get no bids then it’s probably too high.

I think you’re over thinking this game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

wow and i'v been trying to get that out of your hand for over a year. 

By now, selling anything (even for machines I don't collect) is seen as verboten, unless it's a duplicate that I don't care about. I think I'm beyond hoarders level, you can ask @OptOut about that 😛

So the offer has to be pretty nice.

I reckon with this cart you're in the same boat though, as I have a lot of carts in a situation where I'd rather just keep them than sell them for a few bucks. That's why I like trades, it helps out in situations like this.

6 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I think you’re over thinking this game.

could be.  but as getting items from around the world will always have 2 or 3 spares and the question will be how to get rid of the "spares" again example several copies of Agro Soar how do i dispose of them at a fare market value.  see the going price in the U.S is just under the price paid. 

or even the 8 copies of Trip World what do I do with them? 

multi copies of a lot of elusive games.

do i go for profit or just get rid of them.

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

By now, selling anything (even for machines I don't collect) is seen as verboten, unless it's a duplicate that I don't care about. I think I'm beyond hoarders level, you can ask @OptOut about that 😛

So the offer has to be pretty nice.

I reckon with this cart you're in the same boat though, as I have a lot of carts in a situation where I'd rather just keep them than sell them for a few bucks. That's why I like trades, it helps out in situations like this.

will that's an art i have yet to master.  as for the levels my sig has my level and that is just in GB's

9 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

could be.  but as getting items from around the world will always have 2 or 3 spares and the question will be how to get rid of the "spares" again example several copies of Agro Soar how do i dispose of them at a fare market value.  see the going price in the U.S is just under the price paid. 

or even the 8 copies of Trip World what do I do with them? 

multi copies of a lot of elusive games.

do i go for profit or just get rid of them.

Take a middle stance, do some of each.  Cut deals to friends and fellow collectors you like, use some as trades for things you want. Sell others for money.

At the end of the day, imo having two or three (quality) unique titles is better than having ten of the same (quality) game. So when getting rid of extras, I always think about this, as well as what I actually paid for the item, how much I like the item, etc.

It's a hobby, I try to just have fun with it. You giving away all those carts I thought was a really really generous thing to do, just do whatever feels right.

12 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Take a middle stance, do some of each.  Cut deals to friends and fellow collectors you like, use some as trades for things you want. Sell others for money.

At the end of the day, imo having two or three (quality) unique titles is better than having ten of the same (quality) game. So when getting rid of extras, I always think about this, as well as what I actually paid for the item, how much I like the item, etc.

It's a hobby, I try to just have fun with it. You giving away all those carts I thought was a really really generous thing to do, just do whatever feels right.

and now your the new owner of a Brazilian pokemon yellow.  send the address and it will be in the mail this weekend..

• Wow! 1

This thread has been entertaining, thanks everyone!

I would be interested in knowing what "rare" means for this game? How does one judge "rare"?

Brazil is a very large video game market

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_games_in_Brazil

So I can imagine a substantial number of aforementioned games were made, and of course, you said you own 3 of them. And the condition is honestly not the greatest. I'm sure you already looked at ebay. Can't say I saw an edition like you're selling, but the North American edition is dirt cheap at least loose, and I'll be honest that in my experience on ebay North American releases generally sell better than from other countries. Good luck.

Edited by avatar!

I extensively studied economics while in college.  It's interesting, we all know the "law of supply and demand", but unless you've studied economics, you might not know that there are a ton of similar laws but, in many ways, they are repackaging the same dynamics. I actually remember chuckling in my class after the fourth to sixth chart stating "these are all the same thing".  They aren't but when you start to modify the perspective of supply, demand, and maybe one other factor, the charts do change but they are very consistently true. 

I say that because, @JVOSS this is a good that falls in the highly scarce but low demand pile.  I'll boil it down like this, if you have an item that's highly scarce and has high demand, then the price is "whatever the top is willing to pay". What this means is that it's extremely rare so the people at the top of the pile with the most money will determine it's value because the person with the deepest (and open) pockets will set the price at the max.

However, when you have maximum scarcity and minimal demand, it's worth "whatever you can get for it."  What this means, practically, is that you have to seek out demand.  And, in fact, I think that's what you are asking.  I'm sure you're aware this is rare and you are also stating, not many people want it.  But it's rare, right?  There has to be a place to unload it for top dollar, right?  My estimation is, yes, you can probably find someone willing to pay 2-3x that of a US Pokemon.  You might have to talk up the rarity and "importance" of this, but the "oh, wow" factor might be what's going to increase value on their end.  Or... you can just keep shopping it out in collector communities, like here, and just post it FO

What you might have to accept is the first offer you're comfortable with.  In this context, you value it the most, and you need to find someone who will match or beat your personal value.  That can be tough when demand is so low.

I wish this were an easier answer, but it's really tough to move obscure stuff.  I have no clue how many of these were made.  Brazil is a pretty big region of South America, but I know these games are very rare in the US, and probably the rest of the world.  If this is rare but desirable in Brazil, your best bet might be to make a contact in Brazil and see if you can ship it to them and if they can sell it locally in Brazil's equivalent of eBay.  Of course, it might be semi-common in Brazil and as such, only worth $30-50USD.  In that case, that's the real value but good luck finding a buyer in our region.  You're back where you started from.

Edited by RH
  • Like 3

What's the point of this thread?? Have you actually tried to search the source of this cart, in this case, Brazil?? Here's some Brazillian OLX listing:

https://sc.olx.com.br/florianopolis-e-regiao/videogames/fita-gameboy-pokemon-edicao-especial-pikachu-809088026

It is listed for 100R$ which is around ~20USD. I would guess you can list it on feebay for 50USD and ship to worldwide and if it doesn't sell then keep lowering the price until you sell it. That's it

• Like 1