IGNORED

Warrior 64 - HD N64 Clone Kickstarter

AstralSoul

Don't know if anyone here would be interested in this but there is a cool N64 clone system in Kickstarter set to ship at the end of the month. I'm very iffy on clone consoles as they always seem to be very flimsy. But being a huge N64 fan with no real HD alternatives for the console this might seriously be worth considering. It already reached the goal but if you wanted one here is the link:

Oof that sucks. I thought it was a clone console. So they're basically taking old N64 consoles and changing the outer case and giving it access to HDMI? That's disappointing if that's the case.

While we're on the subject anyone know what the cheapest option to convert N64 to HD?

Edited by AstralSoul

Events Helper · Posted

If you can find someone to install it, or if you can do it yourself an UltraHDMI isn't that bad of a price.  Problem right now is that shipping and supply of them.  

I am having one done, but the buy is over right now.  When I get mine back I can ask them when they will be doing the next buy.  

I like the look of the shell design, if nothing else. Using OEM internals is also actually a smart move considering how terrible N64 emulation is. But, obviously the weak point of this whole product is the analogue to digital converter, if it is as cheap and laggy as reported.

Also, I didn't see a price anywhere, how much are they charging for this?

$150 is actually a super good price, on the face of it. But yeah, looks like a bust from the point of view of the technology used, so the price becomes irrelevant at that point.

I will say I DO like that shell design! If I can pick up just one of those shells one day and put one of my junk N64's inside it, that would be pretty cool, and just use the original AV out.

Also, man, MJR is looking fat af these days, lol! Time makes fools of us all, I guess, lol! 😛

On 11/11/2020 at 5:19 PM, erac said:

Well, you can get the 95$ DIY package and just sell/scrap the hdmi adapter. That gets you the case, and (not sure, CBA to check) the controller.

Or I could wait until they inevitably end up on eBay for like 20 bucks in like 6 months or so! 🤣

You get what you pay for, I guess... Like when I paid for the real thing! 😎

received_454786788634694.thumb.jpeg.751bdb3ff607dcea81e68fdea9d4b4c5.jpeg

3 hours ago, erac said:

There's a risk they'll only produce the amount for the KS orders and quit, making the cases rare collectibles. In that case the ebay price could be 400$ ;D If it gets bigger production, then sure.

They look printed, not vacuum moulded so anyone with a printer can just make their own. They'll never be collectible.

If they're printed, it's on an industrial quality 3d printer. FDM does not look like that, home resin can't do that large parts. Plus you have to consider the time to make the model, iterate port/piece locations... There's a reason nobody has made a replacement case model so far.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Homebrew Team · Posted

RetroRGB released a video today that covered some testing on the Warrior 64 and repairs 😬.  Good video and worth a watch.

Summary:

• Shell is good quality
  • Controller is good, you may or may not like the layout of it
  • RGB/HDMI Board is poorly / incorrectly designed
    • Order of amp, filter, and RGB is flipped
    • Does not add RGB to analog out (multi-out)
    • May remove S-Video or composite from multi-out depending on version of mod included
  • HDMI kit is similar to a POUD cable, but internal
    • Adds variable lag of 3-5 frames

I just finished the video a bit before coming here, the entire thing ultimately outside of the nice new shell it has basically start to finish is summed up in two words: dumpster fire ...or better in one word.  AVOID.

The video where it starts, I think it says too much about where that whole mess was going with those frauds stuffed a bag, a piece of paper, and one other item in there to use if your games don't start up immediately to fix them... SANDPAPER.  Yeah, if your game fails to load, sandpaper the crap out of the pins, and if it still fails, your game is busted.  That's the argument and more than enough to just pack it back up and send it in to get a refund.  Negligence and fraud from that gem down to the design of it.

• Like 1