IGNORED

what have you been listening to?

nesking80

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"The Wilhelm Scream" is a sound effect used when some unfortunate soul in a movie meets a sudden violent and unexpected end.  It was first recorded in 1951 in the movie Distant Drums by the western actor Sheb Wooley (who also performed the famous novelty song The Purple People Eater).  Warner Brothers added it to their sound effects library.  The name comes from a certain Wilhelm who met an untimely end in the 1953 movie Charge at Feather River.  As you can see/hear from this clip it shows up in all sorts of places - it has been estimated that it has appeared in over 400 movies and tv shows.

Edited by Tabonga

Social Team · Posted
On 8/21/2021 at 7:46 AM, Hammerfestus said:

Now I'm really regret killing you.  Though I did push to save you in the end.  You got any band recommendations???  I absolutely love Covet and recently found about about "math rock".  I never knew there was a name to "weird" kinda music I love.  I LOVED American Football and could never find bands that had that sound until like a year ago when I found Tricot.

22 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Now I'm really regret killing you.  Though I did push to save you in the end.  You got any band recommendations???  I absolutely love Covet and recently found about about "math rock".  I never knew there was a name to "weird" kinda music I love.  I LOVED American Football and could never find bands that had that sound until like a year ago when I found Tricot.

I don’t actually.  The genre is a brand new thing to me.   Actually found Covet coming from a more jazz/fusion direction.  

which I somehow ended up on a playlist with a bunch of Joe Satriani

and similar artists which is where I found that single buried.  I’ve found all of Covets stuff to be really enjoyable.

Social Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t actually.  The genre is a brand new thing to me.   Actually found Covet coming from a more jazz/fusion direction.  

which I somehow ended up on a playlist with a bunch of Joe Satriani

and similar artists which is where I found that single buried.  I’ve found all of Covets stuff to be really enjoyable.

I can see how you found your way to Covets.  If I had to nail it down for me it was American Football and also Cowboy Bebop OST.  Which has a very jazzy bebop type of the songs I REALLY love from that OST.  Let me share what I've found in case you might enjoy it as well.  But before that there are some AMAZING flow charts that people have put together to help others find that right kind of math rock that tickles your fancy.  I actually started off as a late 90's emo fan (Braid, American Football, Sunny Day Real Estate, Promise Ring, etc.) and then was searched for the jazzy/mathy music stuff but couldn't find it and damnit if labeling music is hard to describe for me which is probably the issue.

sqrynqof8su11.png

Some of my personal recommendations that I enjoy that are "math rock"

Spoiler

TTNG (This Town Needs Guns) is really big in the "math rock" type of music.  

Explosions in the Sky, they stuff is in a lot of movie sound tracks.  Puts a chill down my spine with all the feels I get from listening to them.

American Football, this band did ONE album and broke up for decades.  This album influenced a ton of other "math rock" bands.  Definitely emo feels from them.

Chinese Football, the first band that made me think American Football left a mark on more than just me.

Tricot, the first "math rock" band that opened the world to me based on recommend bands on Spotify and comments in the YouTube section.  They got more of the punk/jazzy mix that I found in the past from Japan that I love.

Elephant Gym, amazing jazz funk that you'll probably dig.  The bassist is fucking amazing!!

Toe, I don't know how to describe it.... I just love it

Delta Sleep, my latest favorite band station to play on Spotify

Clever Girl, jazzy sounding "math rock"

CHON, everyone always mentions them as one of the best "math rock" bands around and I can't fault people for saying that

Uchu Conbini, defunct Japanese band that is crazy.  Apparently there are a lot of great "math rock" bands in Japan.

Tororro, generally more upbeat/fast pace type of "math rock"

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1