IGNORED

Remember the saying "this is the 90s"? How the 90s already seem like "horse n buggy days" compared to today

Estil

I definitely gotta bring this to you guys attention...

They mention encyclopedias being "on your grandparents' book shelf"...well as a matter of fact whenever I say "thank you grandma" when she gets me Lee's Famous Recipie takeout after our Sunday visits (isn't she sweet?) and she says "yes grandpa..."  Would you believe I would easily BE a grandpa by now (I'm only 41 but if you figure if I had my first kid was age 18-20 and so did my child's first kid...well you do the math) if I had went the more traditional family route...go figure!

Sure hope Watchmojo and other "please punch yourself in the dick repeatedly for watching this" sites are on the list in 9 years when we pretend the 00s is some ancient proto-Hittite era compared to the 2030s.

I totally miss the sound of a dialup modem connecting, BTW. Get me some acoustic couplers and a 300 baud connection and I'll get an awesome Cindy Margolis GIF in about 5 hours. RealPlayer was always a turd though, gotta agree with that one.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So as you guys might now know one of my big projects is reading my local newspaper archive (I'm currently on 1991, you know, 30 years ago like Back to the Future? 🙂 ) and I saw this Mike Royko column (it's actually from 1986 but he was on vacation at the time so he did a best of/rerun sort of deal).  Now, as he often did, his columns are often done with quite a sarcastic tone as clearly shown here...does he still get credit though for predicting the Google Watch? 😄

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-12-17-8604040218-story.html

Most of us have habits that can irritate our friends and loved ones.

With me, it`s my wristwatch.

Ever since I discovered this make of watch several years ago, I`ve infuriated friends, co-workers and even casual acquaintances with

conversations such as this:

''Nice watch you have there.''

''Oh, thanks.''

''One of those oyster-shell jobs, hmmm? Must be expensive.''

''Gift from my wife.''

''Beautiful. But tell me, what can it do?''

''Do? It tells the time.''

At that point, I feign amazement and say: ''That`s all? For all that money, it only tells time?''

They usually fall into my trap by saying something like: ''What do you expect a watch to do?''

I pull back my cuff, display my watch and show them.

While jabbing at the tiny buttons on its front and side, I say: ''Besides keeping time in civilian or military mode, I expect it to be a fully functioning calculator. I also expect it to be an alarm clock. And to be a stopwatch. And to give me the day and date. And to beep on the hour.''

In the past, I`ve had the model that not only did all those things but could play my choice of three popular tunes.

As well as light up in the dark.

But this year, I`m capable of being even more infuriating because I have the newest model, with the most amazing feature yet.

After I have run through the above tricks, I now say:

''By the way, let me have your unlisted phone number. I want to store it in my watch`s data bank.''

That really pops their eyes.

But it`s true. Through the genius of Japanese technology, I can store 50 names and phone numbers in my watch.

I merely touch a button and the names and numbers scroll across the watch face.

And I usually conclude my performance by saying: ''All that for $32.95 plus tax. Let`s see, your watch cost about $500, right? Well, if I buy the latest, improved model of my watch every two years, at the end of 30 years. . . .''

I pause to do some fast figuring in my watch`s calculator mode, and say:

'' . . . At the end of 30 years, I`ll have spent less for all of my amazing space-age, science fiction technology than you spent to, ha, ha, to find out what time it is.''

It never fails to get a rise out of them. In fact, I have a friend who owns a $5,000 Rolex and no longer speaks to me.

That`s because people like him feel foolish. They spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars, and for what? To get information that is hanging on the walls of most homes and offices--the time of day.

But for only $32.95, I can tap a button and call up the unlisted number of my bookie. Or set the alarm to be sure that I don`t oversleep at my desk and miss the cocktail hour.

I`ve never had as much satisfaction from a material possession.

That is, until I recently had a drink with an old friend I hadn`t seen for a few years.

He was wearing one of those delicate, wafer-thin watches, made in France, I believe, so I couldn`t resist going into my put-down routine.

''Must have cost a pretty penny,'' I said.

''A bundle,'' he said.

In a moment, I was putting my watch through its paces. But he just roared with laughter and said:

''I can`t believe this. You? Wearing a nerd watch?''

''A what?''

''That`s the kind of watches the nerds wear.''

''Uh, you don`t understand. This watch is also a calculator, a stopwatch, a phone directory, an alarm. . . .''

He laughed again. ''I know all that. That`s why the nerds love them.''

''Nerds? What do nerds have to do with it?''

''The computer nuts. The calculator freaks. The number crunchers. I`ve got a kid working in my office who has one exactly like it. Classic nerd. Keeps a slide rule, three pens, a tiny flashlight and a peanut butter sandwich in his shirt pocket.''

''Uh, it`s got a, uh, a two-year battery, you know?''

He slapped the bar and laughed uncontrollably. Then he said: ''Who would have thought it? You, a nerd? Tell me, whatever possessed you to buy a watch like that?''

''Gift from my wife.''

Edited by Estil

PS: Does anyone remember "VHS/tape rewinders"?  These were a handy dandy device that lets you rewind tapes without putting unnecessary wear and tear on your several hundred dollars VCR!  Plus you can watch your next video while the other tape is rewinding, so that's a plus too.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 11:43 PM, ICrappedMyPants said:

Hmmm, I read your list and I’d gladly go back to life like that over what it has become. A world without social media alone would be worth it to me.

PERFECT example of being careful what one wishes for...you hear all the time about "I wish I could go back and live in so-and-so time" but would you really?  I mean I would love love LOVE to go back in time and visit those time periods (though you can mostly do that with YouTube and such) but I certainly don't want to live there!

PS: The thing is, no one has visited the moon in almost 50 years...I sure hope NASA and/or SpaceX changes that soon 😞 

Edited by Estil

Just now, Estil said:

PERFECT example of being careful what one wishes for...you hear all the time about "I wish I could go back and live in so-and-so time" but would you really?  I mean I would love love LOVE to go back in time and visit those time periods (though you can mostly do that with YouTube and such) but I certainly don't want to live there!

I am 100% certain I’d rather live back in the 90s for several reasons. I remember what it was like and I could easily give up many modern conveniences to return to that era. This isn’t nostalgia. I am not happy with what the world has become since then.

2 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I am 100% certain I’d rather live back in the 90s for several reasons. I remember what it was like and I could easily give up many modern conveniences to return to that era. This isn’t nostalgia. I am not happy with what the world has become since then.

May I ask in what ways?  And where in the 90s would you want to go?  I mean 1990 =/= 1995 =/= 1999 for example (the last two happen to be my middle and high school graduation years believe it or not)).

Edited by Estil

16 minutes ago, Estil said:

May I ask in what ways?  And where in the 90s would you want to go?  I mean 1990 =/= 1995 =/= 1999 for example (the last two happen to be my middle and high school graduation years believe it or not)).

I don’t want to derail the thread too much, so I responded to you privately. Personally, I’d probably prefer around 1994, even though Jordan retired from the NBA.