IGNORED

Remember the saying "this is the 90s"? How the 90s already seem like "horse n buggy days" compared to today

Estil

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Wow, it's finally come to this.  The year 2000, not that long ago was considered the "future" (you know, like Knight Industries Two Thousand?)...is now, get ready for this...a throwback uniform.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/11/12/purdue-boilermakers-unveil-2000-throwback-uniforms/college/

Honestly, I don't keep up with college sports... but has uniform style and technology changed that dramatically in that time?  2000, or so, is when Underarmor was hitting full stride with "tech fabrics".

15 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Honestly, I don't keep up with college sports... but has uniform style and technology changed that dramatically in that time?  2000, or so, is when Underarmor was hitting full stride with "tech fabrics".

Depends what school you are.   If it's Oregon, they've had about 500 different uniforms since 2000.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Depends what school you are.   If it's Oregon, they've had about 500 different uniforms since 2000.

You know there was a big coffee table book made around 1990 or so that had a complete history of what all the MLB uniforms looked like from 1900-90 (can you imagine what a HUGE undertaking the research would've been in the pre-Internet era??)...I would love so very very very much to see a complete history of what UK's b-ball uniforms looked like every year.  Plus how the court layout for Rupp and prior to mid-70s Memorial Coliseum looked like.  I mean if the creators of that book were able to do a complete 20th century history of 26 MLB uniforms then surely just one college team in this "future time" wouldn't be so hard...right?

8 hours ago, Estil said:

You know there was a big coffee table book made around 1990 or so that had a complete history of what all the MLB uniforms looked like from 1900-90 (can you imagine what a HUGE undertaking the research would've been in the pre-Internet era??)...I would love so very very very much to see a complete history of what UK's b-ball uniforms looked like every year.  Plus how the court layout for Rupp and prior to mid-70s Memorial Coliseum looked like.  I mean if the creators of that book were able to do a complete 20th century history of 26 MLB uniforms then surely just one college team in this "future time" wouldn't be so hard...right?

Sounds like you have a new pet project!   I'm sure there's a campus library that would have team photos from every year.

45 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Sounds like you have a new pet project!   I'm sure there's a campus library that would have team photos from every year.

I mean someone who's actually qualified for that sort of thing.  There are in fact team photos every year on JPScott's (who's very much THE UK basketball historian in terms of stats and newspaper articles and such) site (bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/statistics.html) but all of them from 1978 on back are b/w.  On thing I hope we'll see in the coming years for just this very reason is being able to automatically computer colorize pics/videos.

Do any of you have (great-)grandparents or something that were around back when there was no TV (or at least B&W only)?  I wonder if it'll be kinda like that when we're gray and old in the future and tell our kids/grandkids (or in my case kitty cats) about the old days of "no Internet"...or at the very least dial-up only Internet (which even at the time I considered the "B&W" version/era of the Internet age)?  Or even pre-HDTV for that matter (which was just as much if not more of a huge change/next-gen sort of transition as B&W to color was)?

Edited by Estil

Uhh.. I was born in the mid to late 70s and my parents got a color TV when I was 6 or 7. Before then it was a 12 or 13" black and white that we still used for quite a while (and may be down in the basement still).

Shit hasn't changed much since the 90s except for smartphones and other techncocrap that really aren't necessities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Uhh.. I was born in the mid to late 70s and my parents got a color TV when I was 6 or 7. Before then it was a 12 or 13" black and white that we still used for quite a while (and may be down in the basement still).

Shit hasn't changed much since the 90s except for smartphones and other techncocrap that really aren't necessities.

Apparently your parents didn't think a color TV was a "necessity" either!  Now I see why Atari 2600's have a bw/color switch!!

53 minutes ago, Estil said:

Apparently your parents didn't think a color TV was a "necessity" either!  Now I see why Atari 2600's have a bw/color switch!!

TVs used to be super expensive. It was a major purchase for a lot of people. It looks like 20% of households didn't have a color TV in 1975/6 when the 2600 came out, so it's not like they were intentional Luddites. They probably just had more pressing matters to deal with.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Notices/2000/fc00057a.pdf

8 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

TVs used to be super expensive. It was a major purchase for a lot of people. It looks like 20% of households didn't have a color TV in 1975/6 when the 2600 came out, so it's not like they were intentional Luddites. They probably just had more pressing matters to deal with.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Notices/2000/fc00057a.pdf

Oh I don't doubt that at all; I did on more than one occasion point out that getting a typical color set in the mid 60s (1965 was the first year all three networks went color full time; CBS was the last holdout) was about $2500ish in today's money.  But boy seeing all those beautiful color TVs in your local department store back in the day must've been so magical.  Imagine if you were a kid back in 1961 who was lucky enough to see this first episode on a color set (which going that far back was at least $5000 in today's money):

• Love 1

On 11/20/2020 at 3:14 PM, RH said:

Ugh... my freshman year of college.  Stop reminding me I'm old, dude.

Dawn of the millennium for me!  HS class of '99 (last of the 20th century!) so my freshman year at UK was 1999-2000 school year!  Hence why I would be an early millennial (born 1980) since I did in fact come of age at the turn of the millennium.

I can't believe I forgot this one, I often ask both my wife (who's a few years older than me) and my grandma how in the world people got by in those ancient days (up until around 2000 or so) when people could not check their bank accounts online or use debit cards that took the money out right away in real time?  Can you imagine having to manually keep a check register and it could be up to a month (when you get your statement/canceled checks) before you even knew anything went wrong?  And if you go even further back, how about having to present a passbook to your teller and they have to manually add/subtract from it when you deposit/withdraw money from that account?

1 minute ago, Estil said:

I can't believe I forgot this one, I often ask both my wife (who's a few years older than me) and my grandma how in the world people got by in those ancient days (up until around 2000 or so) when people could not check their bank accounts online or use debit cards that took the money out right away in real time?  Can you imagine having to manually keep a check register and it could be up to a month (when you get your statement/canceled checks) before you even knew anything went wrong?  And if you go even further back, how about having to present a passbook to your teller and they have to manually add/subtract from it when you deposit/withdraw money from that account?

I'm as old as you are and I had to keep a check book.  In fact, I kept a check book up until probably 2004 or 2005.  Even if you had an online account (I used mine for the first time in 1999), debits would some times take 2-4 days to clear so if you didn't pay attention, you could easily over draft.  That was NOT something I wanted to do in college.

What changed in 2004 is I started using a tool that could auto-pull my payments into a budget system.  Regardless, my wife and I still manually enter our transactions and these tools auto-match what we entered.

TL;DR: You should probably still do this, it's just considerably easier and you can completely do this online.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a fairly obscure one for ya...remember how we had David Copperfield and other magicians (or more accurately illusionists) and how there was no way you could figure out how the tricks were done back then as is the traditional "a magician never reveals their secrets"?  And what a HUGE deal it was the four part mini-series Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_the_Magician's_Code:_Magic's_Biggest_Secrets_Finally_Revealed

In fact, when the Masked Magician revealed himself and explained the reason he did the mini-series (I won't spoil who it was here; click on the link if you want to know) he said among other things the Internet (still very new at the time) was gonna change everything...and sure enough nowadays you can in fact google/wiki (yes some of the most famous tricks had their own wiki articles) if you really wanna know.

For example the famous ruining the famous T206 Gretzky/McNall Honus Wagner card (obviously the real card was never used):

And if you want to spoil how the trick might've been done:

https://boards.straightdope.com/t/how-did-david-copperfield-reassemble-this-honus-wagner-card/652504

Again there is NO reason, NONE the real card would be risked...there's no reason to.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:20 PM, Tulpa said:

I still keep a "checkbook" on a modified Excel sheet. It's useful for looking up stuff and managing multiple accounts without having to log-in to the bank's site.

I do the same thing.  My "checkbook" is kept in Excel.  Funny thing is that since nearly all of my purchases are done with a credit card, my checking account never has more than 20 transactions in a given month.  So balancing my checkbook each month only takes a minute or two.  Because of the number of transactions I put on my credit card every month that list is pretty long, so I keep a separate ledger that I update every day with my purchases and I tie it out every month when my CC statement comes in.  That way, I will never have any hidden charges on my card that I don't know about.  If my CC statement matches my ledger (less any pending items), I know I'm good to pay the CC bill.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Talk about a 90s problem!  In the Beavis & Butt-Head episode Special Delivery (S07E21) Burger World tries (emphasis on "tries") to offer a delivery service and Butt-Head doesn't quite get that those ancient 90s devices called "pagers" don't work directly as a phone! 😄 

https://beavisandbutthead.fandom.com/wiki/Special_Delivery

And would you believe one of the letters in the Dec 1991 Nintendo Power correctly predicted a future Super Mario Galaxy game?  No fooling!

• 2 months later...

So I've been reading my local newspaper archive at newspapers.com and this got my attention as it predicted what tech might be like in 2003...which as my icon indicates represents the year of the second best moment of my life 🙂  So which of these did they get right?   They did correctly predict there'd be a YouTube sort of thing but that was still a few years away.