IGNORED

PS 2 is 20 years old - GOAT?

Events Team · Posted

NES the GoAT of course.  Then it's a tossup between PS2 and 360 for the number 2 spot.  My personal library for both systems is about even.

Still got some fond memories.  Released when I was 21, PS2 was my first adult console.  About 8 of us went down to the game store on release.  They held a lottery and one of our numbers was pulled, so we stayed up all night and the next day playing Tekken Tag,  SSX, and Midnight Club.

Some really unique titles that are all time favorites.  Mister Mosquito, Katamari Damacy, State of Emergency, Spyhunter.  XIII is probably my favorite first person shooter outside of the DOOM franchise.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, Estil said:

And all I gotta do is put the PS2 isos in a plug in drive and that's all there is to it?  I do also have a spare hard drive from an old laptop...could that be used at all?

You'll need to have OPL or some other loader to do it.  Most preloaded cards you get will already have it on it.  There are also utilities like ESR for launching burned discs.  The hard drive needs to be an ide drive if you're using the original ps2 lan adapter, but you can also buy sata adapters that don't have working lan ports or kits that convert your original adapter to sata.

One thing to note is that you can't just put iso's on your usb or harddrive as they are.  You need to use a program like Winhiip or USBUtil to load them onto the drives with your computer.  Winhiip will also need to be used to format your harddrive.

https://www.tunnelgist.com/2020/07/how-to-play-ps2-games-through-usb-pendrive-or-memory-card.html

There are even ways of loading games to your harddrive over a network, but I've never used this.

PS2 is a decent system. Much better than PS1 for sure. I mean, not in the top 15 systems for me, or maybe at 14-15, so nowhere near GOAT (that is NES, of course). Too many of the lauded PS2 games just aren't very fun to me. I did really enjoy the classic collections available on the system though, and that is the first thing I'd recommend to people new to PS2 - things like Capcom Classics Collection, Taito Legends, etc.

For multiplatform games, the PS2 version is rarely the best. There were many of these at the time. Gamecube and Xbox being more powerful systems, their versions often were better. Also the Gamecube library is far better IMO, but that's another discussion.

PS2 was the last console I bought on release so I do have some fondness for it but I'd have to say in present day it's probably the most overrated console of all time.

I'd rather play NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16/PC Engine, Neo-Geo, PS1, Saturn, and even the fucking 360 all before PS2.  The PS2 would rank somewhere near the middle to bottom of my list, only beating out absolute trash like the 64 and Wii.

PS2 does have some good stuff (Gradius V is one of the best shmups ever made) but for the most part the games have aged HORRIBLY.

14 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Sorry to get off-topic, but as far as the Japanese-exclusive shooters, I know some are iffy about working on a North American Xbox 360. Does the backwards compatibility of the Xbox One and the Series X (damn whoever named these) remedy this at all? Might be a dumb question but I’m not in the Xbox ecosystem so I don’t know.

You can JTag an X360 to make it region free, but most of the Japanese shooters are actually region free. Notable ones would be Espgaluda 2, Mushihimesama Futari, Dodonpachi SDOJ, Muchi Muchi Pork + Pink Sweets, Eschatos, Ginga Force, and Shooting Love.

A NA X360 is pretty well off, it'll allow you to play both Raiden Fighters Aces and Otomedius, which never came out in Europe. I'm especially bummed about Fighters. 😞 

I've heard rumors that the BC in the new Xbox will defeat region protection like you're asking, but since it's not out yet I wouldn't assume anything.

Edited by Sumez
  • Thanks 1