IGNORED

PS 2 is 20 years old - GOAT?

I'm probably in the minority, but I like PS1 more than PS2.

Twisted Metal 2 is the best game in the series, the Spyro the Dragon trilogy is more enjoyable than the glitchfest known as Enter the Dragonfly, Mega Man 8 is much more fun to play than Mega Man X7, and the demo discs are more interesting than the PS2's. Even the Console itself looks better in my opinion, and mine still works great after all these years. The same can't be said about my slim PS2, which crapped out after only six years.

Also (and I know I'm definitely in the minority here) I like GameCube a little more than PS2, especially with the Game Boy Player. Melee was probably the best fighting game during that era, Metroid Prime was so good it earned Gamespot's Game of the Year award in 2002 (and rightly so), and F-Zero GX was the fastest and most complete racing game (going so far as to including most of the content from its Arcade counterpart). These games hold up reasonably well almost two decades later.

With all that being said, I still like the PS2 and my collection wouldn't be complete without it. My SCPH-30001 launch model PS2 still works fine.

• Like 1

I think when you look at depth and breadth, the PS2 has to be in the conversation. That being said, I think there are multiple other consoles where the top 10 or top 25 blow the PS2 out of the water.

Of course there is also the nostalgia factor which is nearly impossible to separate out for most, if not all, people.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'd say the NES, SNES and PS1 are ahead, at least for me.

Those are exactly the three consoles I had in mind as I contemplated this question.

And even though I'm not a huge fan, I think PS4 may surpass the PS2 as well. Switch needs a few years yet, but I suspect it will also jump ahead.

Administrator · Posted

PS2 is my favorite system of all time, and has an awesome library with tons of awesome games.  I've also spent a lot of time exploring imports and have several of those.  

If people prefer other systems, that's fine, though I'm surprised when I hear people talk about literally ONLY playing Nintendo systems.  There is a lot more cool gaming out there folks!

Anyway, much PS2 love 🥰

• Like 2

In terms of best library overall, I have to say the PS2 wins, but not by a wide margin.

The PS2 absolutely dominated the scene in its day. The original Xbox, Gamecube, and Dreamcast while they had some amazing S-Tier titles back in their day, weren't all that great overall.

PS1 also has a great library, especially if you're an RPG fan. On the flip side, Nintendo's N64 dropped the ball, and the Sega Saturn was pretty lackluster with no staying power.

Going back just one more generation and now you have an amazing bunch of platforms. SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo, and TG-16 all head to head in that order.

Going back one more, and NES just straight up dominates. Does anyone even remember the Master System?

My personal list goes like this.

1. PS2
  2. SNES
  3. PS1
  4. NES
  5. Gamecube
  6. Genesis
  7. Xbox
  8. Dreamcast
  9. Neo Geo
  10. TG-16
  11. N64
  12. Saturn

I guess after Saturn it's basically a tossup between Master System, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Intellivision, 3DO, and CD-i?

PS3/PS4, 360/One, Wii/WiiU are too "new" for me to call them classic yet.

Edit: may as well add my opinions on handhelds too.

• Nintendo DS
  • Game Boy Color
  • PSP
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Game Boy
  • Game Gear

3DS and Switch are too new for me (yeah, Switch is a handheld not a console...fight me) and so is Vita.....I guess N-Gage belongs up there somewhere too.

Edited by ThePhleo

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

Wait, Playstation is a powerhouse for space-shooters?
I don't think I've so much as held a Playstation controller before, but this ... this could change things ...

-CasualCart

You never shooted until you've shooted gigantic crawfish with laser beam tug of wars powered by the lobster you hijacked earlier.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think when you look at depth and breadth, the PS2 has to be in the conversation. That being said, I think there are multiple other consoles where the top 10 or top 25 blow the PS2 out of the water.

Of course there is also the nostalgia factor which is nearly impossible to separate out for most, if not all, people.

Yes I think nostalgia will unfortunately play into a lot of opinions, which is both good and bad.

From a nostalgic point of view the NES is what I grew up with and loved. But from a gamer point of view I love the PS2 more because the library is just really solid and has so many standout genres so it appeals to a large audience.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Does anyone even remember the Master System?

Yes. The SMS was huge in Australia and Europe. It is probably hard to state in words how big Sega was in these regions. I don't have hard sales figures but growing up the majority of kids I knew had SMS. I was very lucky to have both and loved both equally.

Here's why it's not for me. I like fighting games, platformers, shmups and best em ups. Throw in the occasional fps and racing/sports games. I have a lot of the game I like for PS2 but they're not the greatest representation of my favorite genres. 

My biggest beef with PlayStation as a franchise is that bastard of a d-pad they still haven't gotten rid of. I hate those fuckin numbs with a passion. Wana completely rub your thumb raw? Play Street Fighter on a PlayStation console. 

I have other controllers but damn. Is that what it has to come to? Now the Switch makes me buy another controller as well just to feel an acceptable d-pad. 

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

They get dinged for the shitty hardware that didn't want to read blue bottomed discs.

Nostalgia-wise, seeing GTA III for the first time absolutely blew me away back then.

I may just be talking out of my nostalgia-filled ass, but to me, GTA San Andreas’ world still feels bigger than some modern open worlds. I know it isn’t, but they did a great job making such a small map feel huge back then.

4 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Here's why it's not for me. I like fighting games, platformers, shmups and best em ups. Throw in the occasional fps and racing/sports games. I have a lot of the game I like for PS2 but they're not the greatest representation of my favorite genres. 

My biggest beef with PlayStation as a franchise is that bastard of a d-pad they still haven't gotten rid of. I hate those fuckin numbs with a passion. Wana completely rub your thumb raw? Play Street Fighter on a PlayStation console. 

I have other controllers but damn. Is that what it has to come to? Now the Switch makes me buy another controller as well just to feel an acceptable d-pad. 

Can't disagree with their bad D pad. I had the Namco Arcade Stick which worked on PS2 so that helped me overcome most issues with the D pad. I know it is an extra controller but I love arcade sticks for consoles.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
47 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

What kind of crazy person uses a dpad for a fighting game? 

• Haha 1