IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

11 minutes ago, Bonanza125 said:

It's the seller who has the option to send you an offer if you are watching an item and can either click allow a counter offer or not. It's a special offer to you. Some sellers are willing to negotiate prices on certain items and other aren't they just want to give you a one time offer.

Im just amazed at just how many are throwing offers out then. Is ebay bombarding sellers with some kind of deal or something to do the offers? After so many years of seeing sellers just leave stuff up and never budge on price it throws me off how much that seems to have changed

1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im just amazed at just how many are throwing offers out then. Is ebay bombarding sellers with some kind of deal or something to do the offers? After so many years of seeing sellers just leave stuff up and never budge on price it throws me off how much that seems to have changed

There is no special deal for sellers to submit special offers to buyers. Ebay has actually made it to where sellers could sell more if you have an Ebay store. Use to be 250 listings for this one type store to sell games. Now you are allowed 10,000 listings. Ebay wants to operate the stores as a business. They don't want stuff just sitting in inventory for years. They want movement so they are giving this option to maybe help push stock or items out. Example I just had someone watch a vinyl record a few days ago. Had it up for sale for 2 years. Nobody wanted it. Someone watched it and I submitted a $13.50 offer on a $14.99 vinyl and they accepted it. 

The problem though is a lot of seller are overpricing items such as games and submitting special offers that nobody in there right mind would buy. People wait until they go down in price. 

On 10/11/2021 at 2:46 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

They made it super easy to send offers. 2 clicks and you're done. I send offers all the time with the minimum allowed discount (5% I think). I allow counter-offers (it's the default setting), I don't think twice about it because to me it's about engaging with potential buyers. That's what boosts my chances of making a sale. More so than just lowering the price of my listing, because the watchers probably don't go through their watch list every day to see if the price moved. I know I don't. Sometimes I'll open my watch list and see stuff there I had completely forgotten.

Hmm I've never touched the button but I've had randomly with increasing frequency just looking at stuff and watching it in case getting discounts thrown out.  A few I've taken, but largely I don't because the reason I watched it was hoping it would fail and the genius would figure out it doesn't cost like $10 to mail a 3oz gameboy cart like 300 miles. (or similar situation)

I just put up the last large push I intend to on ebay going forward, not really hung up on getting what I'm asking, but don't really want to screw with percentage/sales junk which I think is tied to store accounts (or was.)  If I could take any item up there in the maybe 25-70 range and offer $5 off I'd probably do it to see if it lights a fire under some fence sitters ass.

I couldn't find tennis balls at Wal-Mart. Asked an employee. His attention is consumed with fiddling with a strap on a bike glove. He distractedly points at baseballs. I said "I'm looking for TENNISballs" and gesture towards the tennis racquets I'm holding. He points to the baseballs again, and then goes back to ignoring me. Seriously, between this and the self checkouts... don't know why they even bother hiring anyone at all.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Angry 1

Why do some g.d. fooked sellers have to lie?  I did a buy it now on a 5' x 6'  Legend of Zelda rug last night.  This morning  I had an email saying my money was refunded and the transaction cancelled by the seller.  The reason given was that I had requested  the cancellation.  Hello - earth to McFly - I did no such thing.  How about you tell the truth and say you are out of stock ("I know I had this 5'x6' rug here somewhere - I guess it ran off with the cow who jumped over the moon.") or whatever,

I guess I will have to take solace in how nice a juicy negative will look next to the 6 positives the seller has.   

Edited by Tabonga
  • Agree 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:00 AM, G-type said:

I couldn't find tennis balls at Wal-Mart. Asked an employee. His attention is consumed with fiddling with a strap on a bike glove. He distractedly points at baseballs. I said "I'm looking for TENNISballs" and gesture towards the tennis racquets I'm holding. He points to the baseballs again, and then goes back to ignoring me. Seriously, between this and the self checkouts... don't know why they even bother hiring anyone at all.

Most retail and fast-food workers are absolutely brain-dead these days. Not sure if it's just me getting older, but I don't understand how some people can be so inept and lack any sort of customer service or basic communication skills. I pretty much shop exclusively online or places with self-checkouts now.

26 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Most retail and fast-food workers are absolutely brain-dead these days. Not sure if it's just me getting older, but I don't understand how some people can be so inept and lack any sort of customer service or basic communication skills. I pretty much shop exclusively online or places with self-checkouts now.

That's because as a former "brain-dead" retail worker, I know from personal experience that even if you do your best to be a model employee and help people and such, the big retail bosses will not hesitate for a second to chew you up and spit you out whenever they feel like it.  And no doubt these so-called "brain-dead" workers started out wanting to be helpful to customers and be "good little soldiers" until they had one too many Karens and/or one too many corrupt/dishonest higher-ups.  I guess these "brain dead" workers figure (who are probably only there because they have no other real choice) if they (both the bad/dishonest customers and higher-ups and co-workers) don't care, why should I care?

Edited by Estil
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Estil said:

That's because as a former "brain-dead" retail worker, I know from personal experience that even if you do your best to be a model employee and help people and such, the big retail bosses will not hesitate for a second to chew you up and spit you out whenever they feel like it.  And no doubt these so-called "brain-dead" workers started out wanting to be helpful to customers and be "good little soldiers" until they had one too many Karens and/or one too many corrupt/dishonest higher-ups.  I guess these "brain dead" workers figure (who are probably only there because they have no other real choice) if they (both the bad/dishonest customers and higher-ups and co-workers) don't care, why should I care?

Don't take it personal - I worked a lot of retail and fast-food jobs through the years. It sucks sometimes and the pay is shit but that's no excuse to turn away from, or be rude to, customers who are asking you to do literally the bare minimum. The user posted that he asked for tennis balls and the employee did jack shit to help when it's their job.... that's become a regular occurrence for me as of late. It's obviously a generalization but some of the shit I see these days from workers is baffling regardless of pay/job.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 11:33 PM, Tanooki said:

Hey I got a fun story for you about a person on ebay who likes to play games with sellers.

I posted most of those Big Box PC games I chose from that stash not to keep on ebay Tuesday night.  This morning a buyer Chris Stauffer riftenstyxthetainc9 2420 picked it up for $39(50 shipped~)  Cool.  I was working on postage for two other items that sold the night before so I went ahead and printed that up, wrote the dude I was taking it, and that should have been that.

I get an ebay mail from a concerned third party about someone having borrowed my pictures to sell the same game and for a huge price increase (165 shipped/obo.)  I tried to report it, I get an error.  Have my wife use her account, works fine, seems the guy BANNED me from contact/sales/reporting as he put the listing up.  Dick move, totally.

Me not being amused with this called, got it escalated as far as stateside support, and well they won't do a thing about the images, but they weren't too amused by people doing what he did.

A bit later yet the person writes me again, asked me something I was soooo fixated on I didn't even think to look.  And I confirmed it.  The buyer of my item, is also the SELLER of the inflated item.  HE waited for the tracking to show possession and he pulled the scam.  Now he is selling the item he doesn't actually hold, and won't until the earliest this Saturday if he's lucky with USPS as it is. I called back into ebay, reported the new info, the rep lady was shocked even laughed at the guy for having the nerve to do it, talked about how scammers like that suck and are hard to catch.  She escalated it to some scam team I guess, said it was escalated to a group who could deal with fraudulent listings where the item isn't able to be fulfilled or something.

Here's his listing I'm banned from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224442401092

And here's mine, look familiar?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254958649258

Since I feel a little vindictive, dug my print out from the trash for the label.  Stauffer Industries, 2294 Parklake Dr NE #553, Atlanta, GA 30345  -- keep that in mind with the user name, maybe it happened to you?  His account is fairly large with a high rating so this little scam seems to slide by well for him until now.

So I found your post from googling that ebay username because he recently bought a ps5 from me and claims I sent another item. Heres my story for the ebay user riftenstyxthetainc9, as above he claims I sent a different item than the brand new sealed PS5, so after lots of calls with ebay they have instructed him to send package back and they have told me if i receive anything other than the PS5 back they will give me my money thats on hold for the sale. Thats not enough for me so I have also filed a IC3 and police report in his city and contacted the USPS and as soon as I gave the address they said they knew exactly who he is. He leaves his office door open and has instructed the USPS to leave packages in his office as Georgia doesnt require signatures because of COVID and the mail carrier digitally signs for it and he is frequently reporting packages missing/stolen. Im working on some other avenues to prevent this guy from continuing his scamming. Speaking of, weird thing is Ive noticed on his ebay feedback he has what would be negative feedback from others saying he scammed them but the feedback shows up as positive. He has left quite the online trail as I've found an LLC in Florida under his name with the Atlanta, Ga as a mailing address and him listed as the officer of the LLC. Its slowly progressing and I've learned that his employer and apartment are known, so maybe this guy will face some punishment soon. Im gonna continue to work with the USPS, his local police and any other agency that might get involved. Steer clear of this guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 2

5 hours ago, Dman2k21 said:

So I found your post from googling that ebay username because he recently bought a ps5 from me and claims I sent another item. Heres my story for the ebay user riftenstyxthetainc9, as above he claims I sent a different item than the brand new sealed PS5, so after lots of calls with ebay they have instructed him to send package back and they have told me if i receive anything other than the PS5 back they will give me my money thats on hold for the sale. Thats not enough for me so I have also filed a IC3 and police report in his city and contacted the USPS and as soon as I gave the address they said they knew exactly who he is. He leaves his office door open and has instructed the USPS to leave packages in his office as Georgia doesnt require signatures because of COVID and the mail carrier digitally signs for it and he is frequently reporting packages missing/stolen. Im working on some other avenues to prevent this guy from continuing his scamming. Speaking of, weird thing is Ive noticed on his ebay feedback he has what would be negative feedback from others saying he scammed them but the feedback shows up as positive. He has left quite the online trail as I've found an LLC in Florida under his name with the Atlanta, Ga as a mailing address and him listed as the officer of the LLC. Its slowly progressing and I've learned that his employer and apartment are known, so maybe this guy will face some punishment soon. Im gonna continue to work with the USPS, his local police and any other agency that might get involved. Steer clear of this guy.

Wow damn dude, nice work on the googling to find this.  I dug what I could, problem was I could see cases of where what he was up to was not isolated, but since ebay blocks contacting other users I couldn't push it further than I had.  What he did was borderline illegal, most definitely sketchy in my case.  With you though, that was utterly a blatant theft attempt.  It seems ebay wasn't lying if when you got through with him to that point, they were aware and were willing to make it right for you which is good.  It does nothing to stop the clown, which I think is great you took it more steps further I couldn't, since technically I wasn't robbed, maybe I would have been had I not reported it so that stopped a layer of shenanigans you dealt with.

I guess that's his thing.  Buy stuff for a low to fair price, then as it posts try and sell it.  When it arrives then try and pull a bait and switch, a 'this is jacked up I want X off', the classic it never arrived, or some other angle to widen his margins, and rolls the items fast to make money off it.  I'd love to see where you take this.

But stopping on that, do stick around, if you care about such things this site is fairly unique and takes a more dim view of the current market shenanigans while enjoying both the past and present in gaming without all the negative angles social media seems to dredge up.

Quick update on situation.

I spoke to the property Manager of Suite 553 a Mr. Eric Piazza who was pleasant to speak with and said he does know Chris Stauffer as he is the current tenant and he is an Amazon seller, I explained I was conducting my own research as he tried to scam me and Ive reported him to every agency I can think of and Eric said well hes always been a straight shooter with me...lol of course he has hes using your building to scam/defraud people and can make a getaway much like he probably did from his previous Florida address. So I asked if he could have Mr. Stauffer call me, he said no problem and 15 minutes later Eric calls back on his personal phone and completely changed his helpful attitude and said Mr. Stauffer will be making the situation correct and when I said I hope so as he has a record of scamming people thats easily verified he became upset and said idgaf its a bunch of bullshit, I was like whoa buddy I was just putting you in the loop that your tenant is up to no good and hope you dont get wrapped up into anything and he laughed and said by who? I said oh I dont know, this guy could have the IRS or FBI looking into him, it wouldnt suprise me. I told him I wont take up anymore of his time and have a good day, he just hung up...weird attitude change from first call. Maybe hes afraid of losing him as a tenant, I get it the guy rents from you, but like do you want to support a scumbag? Anyways that bit of info that hes an amazon seller helped me find his amazon seller account, its Ravenholm Electronics with a 68% rating and guess what the feedback is...SCAMMER, lied about condition of item, hasn't sent item etc...this guy is a piece of work.

And that PS5 that I sold him was from Sony Direct and I have the receipt with the serial number and im fairly certain if he doesnt send the same one I sold him I can contact Sony and report stolen and make that PS5 a brick the moment it connects to internet.

TBC

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhh hate when a seller cancels an order because it sold too low in auction then lie stating I wanted to cancel. My fault for not looking at this feedback. Negative feedback going over a year of this so I should have expected. Just wish eBay will ban those types so time isn't wasted.

Pfft I was tempted to cancel one a couple weeks back, cost me like $10 of a loss because ebay magically glitched up the shipping on a package I posted that I *NEVER* clicked free shipping on, but they gave the buyer just that so I ate it.

As a personal plus, relief setting in.  I'm *DONE* due to the tax bs next year as of yesterday/shipping out today selling on ebay.  I've removed the remaining couple dozen items I had in my unsold space.  They're still up here for now at a reduced rate.  That list and anything I could add will end up as a FT post in 2022. 🙂

On 11/29/2021 at 11:40 AM, Skorp said:

Uhhh hate when a seller cancels an order because it sold too low in auction then lie stating I wanted to cancel. My fault for not looking at this feedback. Negative feedback going over a year of this so I should have expected. Just wish eBay will ban those types so time isn't wasted.

Ebay does have a sellers performance rating. If they are under 2% Ebay can place restrictions on the seller. Sellers can only do so many cancellations then it will become a problem with Ebay.  

• 2 weeks later...

When you try to do something in ebay...

Screenshot-from-2021-12-12-19-57-37.png

Seriously, it gets worse and worse every week! I have to clue WTF I'm supposed to do with any of the above. Ebay is SUCH a piece of shite... anyone willing to invest some money into making a decent auction site will put ebay out of business its misery.

@avatar! I can’t stand feebay anymore. I still sell on there but it’s such a bull shit company. Like you said anytime there is an issue you might as well kiss it goodbye because e bay won’t do shit about it anyway they will literally just give you a run around of suggestions. It’s hilarious.

• Agree 1

Hah, do what I did, quit selling there.  They're already queued up to sell you up the river with tax forms next year for barely moving any second hand product at all.  Why put up with all the ever increasing stupid layers of bs as it's just not worth it.  All that and more seems to happen with each quarterly update they run for sellers, and you'd think now they'd be more nervous knowing they'll be losing some serious business in 2022 or 2023 when the $600 fiasco hammer drops.

I wish I could just close my account on there, but they don't differentiate a seller vs buyers account and I'm still going to buy from there in a limited basis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

All that and more seems to happen with each quarterly update they run for sellers, and you'd think now they'd be more nervous knowing they'll be losing some serious business in 2022 or 2023 when the $600 fiasco hammer drops.

Foly hucking heck!! I totally forgot about that utter BS from the IRS!
Of course I'm not surprised. I mean, people like Bezos can get away with not paying a cent on their multi-billion dollar earnings, so naturally those of us that sell $600 on ebay should make up for it...

jurassic park deal with it GIF

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like there hasn't been enough Gamestop ranting (probably because nobody buys games from there anymore).  But I actually had a great experience with them during Black Friday week - I ordered probably 15 "New" games from them, and all but one actually came sealed (as many people know, they do this thing where they tell you the game is "New" because they opened it in store and it only was on their shelf - "It's never been played!").  So anyway the one I got that wasn't new had the case, but it had been stepped on (like there was a sneaker print) and the cover art was torn and heavily worn on the bottom 1/2 inch, so I knew I was going to have to return it.  But, before I did, they did the Buy 2, get 1 thing on used games...and even tho I knew it could be a disaster, I was optimistic after the pretty good hit rate during Black Friday.  So I ordered Hyrule Warriors 2, New Pokemon Snap, and Mario Golf...Of course Pokemon Snap and Mario Golf come in generic cases, so I thought, "Well, I'm going to have to go to Gamestop to return stuff anyway, so I'll play the cover art lottery"...And I ordered 3 more Mario Golf's...hoping at least one of them would have the cover art...I didn't do the same for Pokemon Snap, because there were 3 Gamestops within 15 miles that had a used copy in stock, so I was hoping one of them would be willing to swap out their real case for my generic one...My Mario Golf's come, but in 2 separate packages, and one of the packages didn't have the packing slip in the envelope (but 1 did have the actual case/cover art)...So I go into Gamestop today...here is my interaction:

Kid: Hi! Is there something I can help you with?
Me: Yeah, I have a couple returns, and I was hoping to ask a favor...I ordered some games online and got generic cases, would you be willing to swap out this generic Pokemon Snap case for the one you have here?
Kid: We can't guarantee that the case is included when you buy the game, so I won't be able to do that for you. We don't do that for any customers.
Me: Ok, I'd like to buy your used copy of Pokemon Snap then.
Kid: You want to buy a copy of a game you already have?
Me: Yeah, I'm going to take the receipt you give me and I'm going to use it to return my copy with the generic case.
Kid: Well, we might as well just trade cases then...
Me: Sounds good.  Here's my first return *hands him the game with the sneaker print and torn cover art*.  I bought it "New" and it came like this.
Kid: It is new! It was just put out as a display. It has never been played.
Me: Look at it. It's a mess. I have the receipt and I'm going to return it. *Kid processes the return*
Me: And here is my other return. *hands him the 3 Mario Golfs in generic cases and the packing slip*.  Yeah, these came in 2 packages, and one didn't have a packing slip inside.
Kid: Well I can only return the ones you have packing slips for. How do I know how much you paid for them?
Me: Here, let me show you my receipt from the website...it's on my phone...
Kid: No, that is not acceptable for a return, you need the packing slip.
Me: Like I said, this one didn't have a packing slip...
Kid: I don't know what to tell you, you need the printed receipt.
Me: Ok, I guess I'll call customer service and we'll get it figured out.  *Leaves store and drives home.*

So I get home and I had saved all my padded envelopes, because I knew I was going to have to return some of the games...I start looking through them, and sure enough, on one of them, they had not detached the packing slip from the mailing slip (the Fedex slip with your address that shows on the front of the front of the package...in that little clear baggie).  So anyway, now I've got to drive 20 minutes back to the Gamestop tomorrow to return these Mario Golfs...It is going to be another 3 years before I dick around with Gamestop again (if they aren't bankrupt by then).  Feels good to rant.

Edited by Naked Warrior
sp

24 minutes ago, Naked Warrior said:

I feel like there hasn't been enough Gamestop ranting (probably because nobody buys games from there anymore).  But I actually had a great experience with them during Black Friday week - 

I hadn't shopped there in over a year after the changes they made around the beginning of COVID, but I visited a store recently, and they had reversed most of these terrible decisions.  If I can start finding deals similar to what I was getting pre-COVID, I will start shopping there again on a semi-regular basis as I did in the past.  The only issue at the moment is that since they only carry current and previous gen and the current gen can't take off due to the limited supply, we aren't seeing the price drops on previous gen stuff yet that we should be starting to see about now.  But that isn't really GameStop's fault.  Either way, I got a bunch of great deals on both new and used games from GS right before Christmas.

1 hour ago, Naked Warrior said:

I feel like there hasn't been enough Gamestop ranting (probably because nobody buys games from there anymore).

Bingo.  I slowed way down because they basically stopped carrying most of what I was interested in, with the PS4 being the only system that I had that they regularly stocked for, and not one that I really collect for.  I think the last thing I bought from them was a "complete" edition of Witcher III that I got pre-pandemic, then have just never gone back.  Not because of their abhorrent policies during the pandemic (although those were enough to get me going anytime it got brought up), but because I basically only ever needed accessories (controllers, cables, adapters, etc.) and they literally never carried any of it in their stores--neither local to me, nor anyone else.  If I'm going to have to pony up money to get it  through their website, I can always get a better deal on it somewhere else, and most of the time get it from my local area retro/used game store (which is a fantastic place, but is really out of the way, hence me trying to make a 10 minute trip to GameStop for something as simple as a $5-10 cable versus a 90+ minute round trip to the better store).

At this point, beyond the anti-Wall Street stock manipulators, I think they've really outlived their usefulness to the vast majority of their prospective customers and target audience, and it's truly just a matter of time before they implode.  One or two more "big" company wide initiatives really ought to do it, based on public reaction to their last few.

I'll walk into gamestop but nearly never walk out with something, it's like a 1 a year if that thing anymore.  I keep seeing you and other guys posting stuff about the 2-1-free bit and nothing but endless internet fails because they just have no quality control or care about the games other than the game itself, and even that's questionable on optical media because well they're clowns.  I'll walk into the store and hope I can find something primarily in recent years for Switch, 3DS/DS, or the Wii since they cling to it too.  I've yet to find at one location anything good to get the get a freebie deal off of, even with the Switch being prolific, they may have dozens if not hundreds of choices, but usually each store will have one the other doesn't so I can't just buy from 2-3 places to get a free one.  I almost did it for the Switch a week or two back, Trial of Mana, Mana COllection, and Everspace was looking nice, yet not one store had all 3, let alone even all 3 used either.  And given how much games that has, it kind of feels like a hopeless prop sale to just get you inside.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'll walk into gamestop but nearly never walk out with something, it's like a 1 a year if that thing anymore.  I keep seeing you and other guys posting stuff about the 2-1-free bit and nothing but endless internet fails because they just have no quality control or care about the games other than the game itself, and even that's questionable on optical media because well they're clowns.  I'll walk into the store and hope I can find something primarily in recent years for Switch, 3DS/DS, or the Wii since they cling to it too.  I've yet to find at one location anything good to get the get a freebie deal off of, even with the Switch being prolific, they may have dozens if not hundreds of choices, but usually each store will have one the other doesn't so I can't just buy from 2-3 places to get a free one.  I almost did it for the Switch a week or two back, Trial of Mana, Mana COllection, and Everspace was looking nice, yet not one store had all 3, let alone even all 3 used either.  And given how much games that has, it kind of feels like a hopeless prop sale to just get you inside.

you can buy one from one store then go to the other, return it then immediately buy it back to activate the deal. A pain in the ass but possible.

On another note it has been confirmed that the $5 monthly coupon you get for being a rewards member no longer works on digital currency or cards. Doesn’t matter to me, I dropped that program when they got rid of the discount on used games, but using that coupon on digital currency was a big selling point for them/customers. They essentially neutered themselves 

Yeah that's too much work to save what... maybe $20?

And I heard about that coupon, as much as I'd love to rip on them for it I can't.  Oddly enough I think personally I'd actually of all things lay the blame on Amazon.  They forced companies like Best Buy to up their rewards, Gamestop to maintain, and so on for some years.  Why?  The 20% off pre-order on all video games if you were with Prime, that was a huge savings, and it was just part of it because largely they also sliced games more than that out of the gate (with a refund adjustment) or shortly after, along with also doing like $5 account credits towards other games or anything largely site wide.  When Amazon decided to cancel that like 3 years ago I think now(4?) and raised the rate on Prime at about the same time, it all went to crap.  BB decided to stop their huge coupon, same price cut on preorder, etc stuff too, and Gamestop loosened their so called good will on their membership and just trashed its value almost completely.  They all neutered themselves, when they could have taken advantage of Amazon greedily backing out and sucked up a lot of customers and goodwill had they kept it going.

I would have totally signed up for BB rewards given the gimmes they did, but I stuck with the Prime one, and when prime set a deadline for cutting it off, BB immediately stopped their matching and exceeding(with coupons) racket too.